Do foundation uni courses show on your degree?

Watch
Cooliyoni
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Can employers see whether you did a foundation course?
AscendingWings
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I don't think it is printed on the certificate on completion, I guess it depends on the uni? Either way, does it matter? Shows your dedication to study an extra year to achieve what you wanted to, taking an additional year in education and facing the debt incurred isn't an easy decision for everyone. It'll give you a story to tell at the very least. Make it a positive experience, rather than focussing on it as a hurdle to entry.
martin7
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Cooliyoni)
Can employers see whether you did a foundation course?
If you put it on your CV, then yes.

But it's almost certainly not going to be mentioned on your degree certificate -- it's very likely that a foundation course would be considered as a standalone thing, successful completion of which would enable you to start a degree programme.

And I'd say "does it really matter that you've done a foundation course?". Why would an employer care, as long as you have the qualifications (or experience) they're looking for?
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Your degree will normally be e.g. "BSc (Hons) Chemistry with Foundation Year" if you did the foundation year course. It will also be somewhat evident from the fact it took your 4 years to do a 3 year degree or whatever. Honestly trying to hide the fact that you did a foundation year would probably end up making you look worse, as it would then appear that you repeated a year of your degree. Employers nor universities care whether you took the correct A-levels to begin with or did a degree with a foundation year because you chose the wrong subjects when you were 16. In fact most recruiters don't really care about your degree outside of ticking the box on their form which marks whether you have a degree at 2:1 or above or not.

(Original post by martin7)
But it's almost certainly not going to be mentioned on your degree certificate -- it's very likely that a foundation course would be considered as a standalone thing, successful completion of which would enable you to start a degree programme.
A foundation year is not a standalone qualification and is integrated into the degree. As above, degrees with a foundation year usually have this noted anyway, but it's still not something anyone really cares about.

I don't understand why some foundation year students get so hung up on this...I remember during my foundation year one girl insisted on telling everyone in her halls just the degree she intended to study after the foundation year, rather than saying she was doing the foundation. It's not like anyone would care (it also would probably make it weird when she ended up changing her mind and continuing to a different course than she originally planned...and then got a PhD in her new course area!).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (288)
55.71%
I don't have everything I need (229)
44.29%

Watched Threads