The Student Room Group

Please help!!!!

Hi

Im really struggling to loose weight and am really looking for advice. I dont know if you will be able to help as ive struggled with this for years and is the reason ive never been successful at loosing weight and i have a lot of weight to loose.

Im addicted to chocolate and ive even asked my GP for help as its the only thing stopping me but no one seems to help me.

They either dont know what to say or how to support me or people just laugh at me.

But i am addicted to chocolate. I eat it after breakfast lunch and dinner and im talking about the big bars like 200g. I just cant stop eating it.

Ive tried having small amounts but it doesnt work as i eat more than i should. Ive tried going cold turkey but i get the worst side effects and all i can think of is chocolate when im not eating it.

If i have a bar after breakfast im good i dont think about it till after lunch but if i have no chocolate all i can think of is chocolate.

I've tried keeping busy but again i cant stop thinking or craving it especially at meal times.

I feel I'll never loose weight unless i address this first but dont know what to do.

Then i have the issue of always feeling hungry ( when i dont eat chocolate)

I could eat a good meal , like chicken , potatoes and lots of veg and 2hrs later im hungry but if i have a bar of chocolate im not hungry till dinner time.

I also have the issue of trying to eat foods i know are healthy and low calorie but dont like , like i hate sweet potatoes but eat them because there low calorie and cant think of what else to eat with my salmon because i dont like pasta or rice either.

I really want to loose weight and be me again but am just lost.
Sounds like you need help from someone who deals with addiction rather than your GP.
How about stop buying the chocolate and having it in your house so you won’t be tempted?

Look at going to classes on addiction and consulting with people who deal with it

If you don’t want to do that an alternative is when you get the temptation to eat chocolate brush your teeth or eat mints/gum
Who do i see for addiction?

And what about the other issues i said above like always being hungry?
(edited 3 years ago)
Off the top of my head. Cut out salt and junk food. Exercise or try distraction techniques as well. Find a new job or take up a new hobby. Ask for a urgent referral to a addiction support service or group too. Hide all the chocolate away or throw it out.
Original post by EllieroseFarmer
How about stop buying the chocolate and having it in your house so you won’t be tempted?

Look at going to classes on addiction and consulting with people who deal with it

If you don’t want to do that an alternative is when you get the temptation to eat chocolate brush your teeth or eat mints/gum

eating something savoury can help too - marmite on a rice cake or a drink of bovril (if not veggie) means that the sweet craving goes away.
Original post by shortgirl96
Off the top of my head. Cut out salt and junk food. Exercise or try distraction techniques as well. Find a new job or take up a new hobby. Ask for a urgent referral to a addiction support service or group too. Hide all the chocolate away or throw it out.

Thanks , i get hungry like 2hrs after eating a healthy meal such as salmon, veg and potatoes. Any tips on how to keep calorie deficit but get rid of the hunger?
I would ask your GP if they could refer you to a cognitive behavioral therapist.
I’d try replacing the chocolate for something else. So if you’re hungry, instead of a chocolate bar, swap it for something else like an apple, some piece of fruit or veg. Also, if possible cook your own meals. Learning to cook fresh meals makes you excited to eat it (at least for me, I get way more excited when I make my own curry than when I use a crappy microwave one) there are those weekly or monthly kit things that give you the ingredients for meal recipes, maybe try them? I wouldn’t say go cold turkey, maybe use chocolate and stuff as a reward. So end if each week, treat yourself to a chocolate for being healthy the rest of the week. Try and surround yourself with healthier options, since the more unhealthy stuff you see, the more tempted you are to indulge yourself.

Hope these tips help, this is just what I can think of on the top of my head
Original post by Himynameisdaisy
I’d try replacing the chocolate for something else. So if you’re hungry, instead of a chocolate bar, swap it for something else like an apple, some piece of fruit or veg. Also, if possible cook your own meals. Learning to cook fresh meals makes you excited to eat it (at least for me, I get way more excited when I make my own curry than when I use a crappy microwave one) there are those weekly or monthly kit things that give you the ingredients for meal recipes, maybe try them? I wouldn’t say go cold turkey, maybe use chocolate and stuff as a reward. So end if each week, treat yourself to a chocolate for being healthy the rest of the week. Try and surround yourself with healthier options, since the more unhealthy stuff you see, the more tempted you are to indulge yourself.

Hope these tips help, this is just what I can think of on the top of my head

Thanks , i do cook most of my food myself luckily. But no matter what i eat i get hungry 2hrs later.

I dont know how to get rid of the hunger except to have mid afternoon snack of fruit and yogurt for example but that means more calories and the 3 meals i already eat ( when im doing the diet and not eating chocolate) come to the 1000 calories a day. I need to eat no more than 1000 calories a day to stay in a big enough calorie deficit to loose 2lbs of fat a week.
Original post by se85
Thanks , i do cook most of my food myself luckily. But no matter what i eat i get hungry 2hrs later.

I dont know how to get rid of the hunger except to have mid afternoon snack of fruit and yogurt for example but that means more calories and the 3 meals i already eat ( when im doing the diet and not eating chocolate) come to the 1000 calories a day. I need to eat no more than 1000 calories a day to stay in a big enough calorie deficit to loose 2lbs of fat a week.

I get what you mean. Eating less fatty foods will definitely still help though, so even if you eat over 1000 calories, you’re not eating as much fat. Exercise always help, so if there’s something you enjoy like running, walking, cycling etc then that helps. What drinks do you have? Avoid fizzy drinks or high sugar content drinks, since that also makes you gain weight, and is bad for your teeth. Water is always good, tea is pretty good too
Original post by Himynameisdaisy
I get what you mean. Eating less fatty foods will definitely still help though, so even if you eat over 1000 calories, you’re not eating as much fat. Exercise always help, so if there’s something you enjoy like running, walking, cycling etc then that helps. What drinks do you have? Avoid fizzy drinks or high sugar content drinks, since that also makes you gain weight, and is bad for your teeth. Water is always good, tea is pretty good too

I cant drink fizzy drinks anyways because of a medical condition.

I only drink herbal teas like ladys mantle , water and low fat or light hot chocolates but i get white versions as there still nice but not addictive.

Luckily i Love zumba as i love dance. I studied it at school before i became fat.

Quick Reply

Latest