StopRightThere
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I just finished every book I own and I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions for books they think are good/interesting. FYI: I'm not a big fan of mystery or romantic books when they are heavily influenced by those topics.
EllieroseFarmer
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Oh my gosh! I have just finished A Thousand Splendid Suns and it’s a must read!!! It’s set in Afghanistan and follows the lives of two women and their place in society. It’s during the Cold War and Muhjadeen period. It’s super amazing. So many moments I was bought to tears and after I finished cried for a full on hour. To be honest still not recovered 😂😂 It’s just a fabulous book about Hope and endurance.

In English I am reading One flew over the cuckoos nest which is set in an Insane Asylum, A street car named desire which is a play set in New Orleans or The Great Gatsby which is fantastic. I have also reward Breakfast at Tiffany’s.

Next on my list are the Harry Potter books, Fahrenheit 451 and To Kill a Mockingbird.
StopRightThere
Rep:
?
(Original post by EllieroseFarmer)
Oh my gosh! I have just finished A Thousand Splendid Suns and it’s a must read!!! It’s set in Afghanistan and follows the lives of two women and their place in society. It’s during the Cold War and Muhjadeen period. It’s super amazing. So many moments I was bought to tears and after I finished cried for a full on hour. To be honest still not recovered 😂😂 It’s just a fabulous book about Hope and endurance.

In English I am reading One flew over the cuckoos nest which is set in an Insane Asylum, A street car named desire which is a play set in New Orleans or The Great Gatsby which is fantastic. I have also reward Breakfast at Tiffany’s.

Next on my list are the Harry Potter books, Fahrenheit 451 and To Kill a Mockingbird.
Thank you so much! I'll definitely check them out. I've read to Kill a Mockingbird and I thought it was very well written. :smile:
EllieroseFarmer
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by sykobear)
Thank you so much! I'll definitely check them out. I've read to Kill a Mockingbird and I thought it was very well written. :smile:
What book have you just finished reading?? I’m always on the look out for new ones 😊
StopRightThere
Rep:
?
What book have you just finished reading?? I’m always on the look out for new ones 😊
I just finished Heartless by Marissa Meyer. I didn't think I was going to like it since the beginning was kind of slow, but I ended up falling in love with it. The ending is sad. I'm absolutely in love with Jest, his character is absolutely charming!
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I love the books by Cathy glass. They are deffo worth a read.
Hellohsjakodsmka
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The kite runner :cry2:
EllieroseFarmer
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Hellohsjakodsmka)
The kite runner :cry2:
I really want to read this!
Zamestaneh
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The Qur'an - no harm in reading it and finding out what a third of the world believe and why the other two thirds hate us
QE2
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Zamestaneh)
The Qur'an - no harm in reading it and finding out what a third of the world believe and why the other two thirds hate us
Indeed. It wasn't until I read the Quran that I found out how violent, intolerant, supremacist, discriminatory, oppressive and irrational Islam is.
More people should read it. Too much of people's information on Islam comes from partisan hearsay rather than the actual content of scripture, wouldn't you agree?
QE2
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I really want to read this!
Definitely worth it. One of the great books of recent times.
tbi_zlx
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by QE2)
Indeed. It wasn't until I read the Quran that I found out how violent, intolerant, supremacist, discriminatory, oppressive and irrational Islam is.
More people should read it. Too much of people's information on Islam comes from partisan hearsay rather than the actual content of scripture, wouldn't you agree?
Ermmm Im not sure how to respond to this but honestly what?
QE2
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by tbi_zlx)
Ermmm Im not sure how to respond to this but honestly what?
Sorry, which bit wasn't clear?
tbi_zlx
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by QE2)
Sorry, which bit wasn't clear?

Please do elaborate
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Any of the Shopaholic books by Sophie Kinellsa. Also I loved reading the spook’s apprentice novels.
username5038250
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by tinygirl96)
Any of the Shopaholic books by Sophie Kinellsa. Also I loved reading the spook’s apprentice novels.
I read those books before they're good
QE2
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

Please do elaborate
The way Islam has traditionally been portrayed in the media, films, etc over the years is somewhat more esoteric and spiritual than Christianity's brutal historical image. Even today, some politicians and commentators call it "a religion of peace". However, reading the Quran shows that it contains just as much brutality and intolerance and discrimination as the Bible. It also has the extra element of being as much political as spiritual.
An objective reading of the Quran and associated texts clearly shows that Islam is a religion of peace and violence, of tolerance and intolerance, of equality and discrimination. Do you disagree?
FV75
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by tinygirl96)
Sophie Kinsella used to write as Madeleine Wickham, if you can find any of those books they are all good.

Isla Dewar (Scottish author) writes lovely gentle stories with great characters.

I've recently finished The Bookkeeper of Aleppo (sad but very evocative) and My Name is Why? by Lemn Sissay (biography of a child in care, very depressing but important to read I think).

One of my all time favourites is This Book Will Save Your Life by AM Homes. It sounds like a self help book but is actually about a lonely and not very nice man trying to become more...human? Kind? Understanding? Hard to describe without making it sound really bad!!
Last edited by FV75; 4 weeks ago
tbi_zlx
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by QE2)
The way Islam has traditionally been portrayed in the media, films, etc over the years is somewhat more esoteric and spiritual than Christianity's brutal historical image. Even today, some politicians and commentators call it "a religion of peace". However, reading the Quran shows that it contains just as much brutality and intolerance and discrimination as the Bible. It also has the extra element of being as much political as spiritual.
An objective reading of the Quran and associated texts clearly shows that Islam is a religion of peace and violence, of tolerance and intolerance, of equality and discrimination. Do you disagree?
Ahhhh that is what you meant, well you should have said that in the first placeee aha
QE2
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Ahhhh that is what you meant, well you should have said that in the first placeee aha
That is essentially what I said in the first place. :confused:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (597)
33.9%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (734)
41.68%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (351)
19.93%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (79)
4.49%

Watched Threads