Riddle Thread Watch

This discussion is closed.
Devlin
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
This has got to be my favorite:

3 men go into a hotel and ask for a room. The receptionist charges them £30 in total so they each pay £10 and head to their room. Later, the receptionist realises she has mad a mistake; she should have only charged them £25. She gives the caretaker 5 £1 coins and asks him to give them to the group.
Realising that it would be difficult to split £5 between 3 guests, the caretaker decides to give each man £1 and keep the other £2 for himself.

Each man has now paid £9 totalling £27 and the caretaker has taken £2, but they originally paid £30. Where has the missing pound gone?
Archkinkist
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Devlin)
This has got to be my favorite:

3 men go into a hotel and ask for a room. The receptionist charges them £30 in total so they each pay £10 and head to their room. Later, the receptionist realises she has mad a mistake; she should have only charged them £25. She gives the caretaker 5 £1 coins and asks him to give them to the group.
Realising that it would be difficult to split £5 between 3 guests, the caretaker decides to give each man £1 and keep the other £2 for himself.

Each man has now paid £9 totalling £27 and the caretaker has taken £2, but they originally paid £30. Where has the missing pound gone?
Please God, not this one again!!! I told you all before the answer to this one; and one poor soul got very confused by it! Grrrr!
PS: Plagiarist
SilverWings
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Clicky clicky here...
Devlin
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
ok i apologise. I am new here and didn't look back into the previous posts. Sorry.
j4mes_bond25
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Welcome me back (cos of being busy with my job interview

A man was found shot dead in his study. He was slumped over his desk and a gun was in his hand. There was a cassette recorder on his desk. When the police entered the room & pressed the play button on the tape recorder they heard, "I can't go on. I have nothing to live for." Then there was the sound of a gunshot ..........

How did the detective immediately know that the man had been murdered ?????
visesh
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by j4mes_bond25)
Welcome me back (cos of being busy with my job interview

A man was found shot dead in his study. He was slumped over his desk and a gun was in his hand. There was a cassette recorder on his desk. When the police entered the room & pressed the play button on the tape recorder they heard, "I can't go on. I have nothing to live for." Then there was the sound of a gunshot ..........

How did the detective immediately know that the man had been murdered ?????
The tape was rewound?
j4mes_bond25
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by visesh)
The tape was rewound?
Tape was Rewind. I catch your drift (regardless of you spelling error
j4mes_bond25
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
How many three pence stamps are in a dozen ?????
visesh
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by j4mes_bond25)
Tape was Rewind. I catch your drift (regardless of you spelling error
Umm, I was using it in the past tense. The tape was "wound back" or "rewound" to the begining of the message.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=rewind

Thanks though
j4mes_bond25
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by visesh)
Umm, I was using it in the past tense. The tape was "wound back" or "rewound" to the begining of the message.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=rewind

Thanks though
Blame my svelte-figured poncho-wearing blonde bombshell GCSE English teacher for diverting my attention away from English (women eh ??? often an object of distraction, I've often witnessed :rolleyes:
Bezza
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago

and I don't think it was a spelling mistake from visesh - i wind, i wound
j4mes_bond25
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
A wealthy man named Richard Ellis had been counting his money.When he finished, he accidentally left a £100.00 note on his desk. But when he returned for it a short while later, it was gone. Only two other persons could have seen the bill. One was the maid; the other was the butler.

The maid told him that she had hidden it for safekeeping under a green book that was on the desk. But when they looked the bill was not there.

The butler said he had found the bill where the maid had left it. He had placed it inside the book, where he thought there was less chance that somebody would find it. He had written down the page numbers so that he would not forget them. The bill was between pages 35 and 36, he said. But when they looked, there was no money in the book.

Who did it ?????
j4mes_bond25
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Bezza)

and I don't think it was a spelling mistake from visesh - i wind, i wound
You don't think :rolleyes: but I'm certain it was NOT a spelling mistake (although, I realised it little later, I fear :rolleyes:
Bezza
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I dunno, unless the answer's there's no such thing as a £100 note!
sumitk87
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Bezza)
thats what i thought but he said 2 people saw the note so....... :confused:
j4mes_bond25
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Bezza)
That's not quite the case with this riddle, I fear. However, hint is available if more fails to solve this riddle.
j4mes_bond25
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by sumitk87)
thats what i thought but he said 2 people saw the note so....... :confused:
Trust me, there's NOTHING dodgy about the £100 note here
sumitk87
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
the only info actually given is the page the butler put it in and the location where the maid placed it............. :rolleyes:
meir
Report 13 years ago
the butler did it, in a book pages 35 and 36 dont face each other
j4mes_bond25
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by meir)
the butler did it, in a book pages 35 and 36 dont face each other
Bang on ........ that proves that stressing your brain cells often helps in getting the right answer
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (23)
17.04%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (54)
40%
Nope, not that interesting (58)
42.96%

Watched Threads