The Student Room Group

Workplace - covid case

cut a long story short there’s been a positive COVID test where i work. I’ve only been here 2 months so I’m temporary staff but the company decided to ONLY tell the employed staff that there was a positive covid case.... they all went upstairs and were told and the temps were left to get to work and supposedly not know. I asked an employed staff what it was about he was the one who told me there was a postive case. Is it just me or is this seriously wrong??? also they say the COVID case isn’t in our department but the one up the road... which the managers say that they don’t come to our warehouse which I’m sketchy off because i see people come and go in this place all the time. I just feel it’s totally unprofessional to tell half of the people who work there..... it’s not like only employed staff can get the virus!
Reply 1
Original post by lily__t
cut a long story short there’s been a positive COVID test where i work. I’ve only been here 2 months so I’m temporary staff but the company decided to ONLY tell the employed staff that there was a positive covid case.... they all went upstairs and were told and the temps were left to get to work and supposedly not know. I asked an employed staff what it was about he was the one who told me there was a postive case. Is it just me or is this seriously wrong??? also they say the COVID case isn’t in our department but the one up the road... which the managers say that they don’t come to our warehouse which I’m sketchy off because i see people come and go in this place all the time. I just feel it’s totally unprofessional to tell half of the people who work there..... it’s not like only employed staff can get the virus!

i understand mate where i work is closed but how the government are dealing with it is rubbish
whereas look at other countries they straight away went into lockdown
anyway stay safe
Original post by lily__t

Not necessarily. They have a right to inform everyone who has been in contact with the affected person. In a larger workplace it’s entirely possible with different departments, shift patterns etc that a lot of staff haven’t interacted with the person at all and have no risk of infection and thus don’t need to know.
I think its like that in most places, they arent going to send the entire company home because of one case.
We had a case across the road and only those within that department have had to isolate. If your workplace is 'covid secure' then you should be in bubbles and people should not be moving out of their area. This is why we are on staggered lunch breaks (so only one cell is in the canteen at a time) and you are only allowed to move within your cell.
There is a risk even with masks and distancing but unfortunately that is the risk of being a keyworker. Personally it is a risk i am willing to take to be in stable employment. I wouldn't temp in this climate (risk vs reward isnt very high if they arent paying you to take that risk) but i understand people might have no other option. Sometimes only certain people get to go to meetings, for instance when i was new there was a trade union meeting and obviously as i wasnt in the union i didnt go.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by CoolCavy
I think its like that in most places, they arent going to send the entire company home because of one case.
We had a case across the road and only those within that department have had to isolate. If your workplace is 'covid secure' then you should be in bubbles and people should not be moving out of their area. This is why we are on staggered lunch breaks (so only one cell is in the canteen at a time) and you are only allowed to move within your cell.
There is a risk even with masks and distancing but unfortunately that is the risk of being a keyworker. Personally it is a risk i am willing to take to be in stable employment. I wouldn't temp in this climate (risk vs reward isnt very high if they arent paying you to take that risk) but i understand people might have no other option. Sometimes only certain people get to go to meetings, for instance when i was new there was a trade union meeting and obviously as i wasnt in the union i didnt go.

No one was sent home, the employed people got given a letter talking about pay so basically if they get covid or have to get sent home they still get paid in full. That’s not my issue the least i care about rn is money.... i just want to be told there’s been a COVID case in the company isn’t that just human decency? How can half the people suddenly be wearing masks and the other half of us be left in the lurch? Even my manager said it isn’t right and when his mangers left he got us all together and told us all! Also you say about bubbles but new people are walking in EVERYDAY! every single day a new person starts, no temp check no mandatory mask no social distancing i mean it’s just bizarre.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by lily__t
No one was sent home, the employed people got given a letter talking about pay so basically if they get covid or have to get sent home they still get paid in full. That’s not my issue the least i care about rn is money.... i just want to be told there’s been a COVID case in the company isn’t that just human decency? How can half the people suddenly be wearing masks and the other half of us be left in the lurch? Even my manager said it isn’t right and when his mangers left he got us all together and told us all! Also you say about bubbles but new people are walking in EVERYDAY! every single day a new person starts, no temp check no mandatory mask no social distancing i mean it’s just bizarre.

Is there a manager you could complain to? If companies arent following covid secure measures they could get into trouble which is something i would imagine managers would be keen to avoid.
You dont have to answer but out of interest what is keeping you in the role? I understand work experience is important but if you arent being paid for the risk you are taking it seems quite exploitative of the company in a time like now when people are losing their jobs and need the wage. I enjoy my job and it gives me a purpose but equally i deserve to be paid for it, dont sell yourself short and settle for somewhere thats getting free labour out of you but not giving you much in the way of reward and safety.
Reply 6
Original post by CoolCavy
Is there a manager you could complain to? If companies arent following covid secure measures they could get into trouble which is something i would imagine managers would be keen to avoid.
You dont have to answer but out of interest what is keeping you in the role? I understand work experience is important but if you arent being paid for the risk you are taking it seems quite exploitative of the company in a time like now when people are losing their jobs and need the wage. I enjoy my job and it gives me a purpose but equally i deserve to be paid for it, dont sell yourself short and settle for somewhere thats getting free labour out of you but not giving you much in the way of reward and safety.

I haven’t been in since Tuesday and have said i won’t be returning until it’s sorted so i don’t actually know if i will go back. I have made a complaint but doubt anything will be done over it... i know it’s wrong because my manager has basically said he really doesn’t like the approach the owners are taking and says he isn’t a fan at all of his boss... it’s sad because majority of the people there are extremely nice but it’s the owners of the company that are awful. Also I was still getting paid but if i caught covid from the company they wouldnt pay me if i had to self isolate because I’m temporary... only the employed staff would get paid.
Reply 7
sheeeeeeeesh

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending