The Student Room Group

help

I feel really dumb.
Basically, today we had a history test question(16 marks) and I thought I was going to do well but I got 10/16. It was the first one, but the person who sits next to me(she's kind of dumb btw) got 9/16. My friend got 14/16 and my other friend got 15/16. I just feel dumb because I was expecting to get over 12 or 13. I thought I liked history...
Now I'm scared for my science tests. Please help, how do I get good marks in those? I have a proper history assessment too and a French one all next week.
You need to go to your teachers. Express that you want to do as best as you can and they will give you the support you need. My best revision advice would be to do practice papers/questions again and again (and get them marked) and then you just learn the questions and what you need to include. I hope this helps!
Original post by Anonymous
I feel really dumb.
Basically, today we had a history test question(16 marks) and I thought I was going to do well but I got 10/16. It was the first one, but the person who sits next to me(she's kind of dumb btw) got 9/16. My friend got 14/16 and my other friend got 15/16. I just feel dumb because I was expecting to get over 12 or 13. I thought I liked history...
Now I'm scared for my science tests. Please help, how do I get good marks in those? I have a proper history assessment too and a French one all next week.

Hi!!!

I'm so sorry you feel this way, first of all, but you are not dumb and telling yourself will not help your mental health or performance in your exams. The best advice is to keep revising and trying, I find looking at past papers helps and also completing exam questions and passing them on to your teacher for marking, obviously because of covid-19 it would be best to email them your answers to exam question so theres no indirect contact. You will always get back what you put in so if you revise hard and focus, you will get excellent grades. In terms of your result in history, look at it as there is always room for improvement, there are still 6 more marks you can get and you never know, practising history questions can also aid you in certain other subjects. If you need any help with French I'm happy to help as I speak it. :smile: Bonne chance aves vos contrôles!!!
Reply 3
Original post by ameliaagraceex
You need to go to your teachers. Express that you want to do as best as you can and they will give you the support you need. My best revision advice would be to do practice papers/questions again and again (and get them marked) and then you just learn the questions and what you need to include. I hope this helps!

Thank you for replying, do you think revision books are a good way to get info, and if you have any tips for application science questions?
Original post by ithd1202
Hi!!!

I'm so sorry you feel this way, first of all, but you are not dumb and telling yourself will not help your mental health or performance in your exams. The best advice is to keep revising and trying, I find looking at past papers helps and also completing exam questions and passing them on to your teacher for marking, obviously because of covid-19 it would be best to email them your answers to exam question so theres no indirect contact. You will always get back what you put in so if you revise hard and focus, you will get excellent grades. In terms of your result in history, look at it as there is always room for improvement, there are still 6 more marks you can get and you never know, practising history questions can also aid you in certain other subjects. If you need any help with French I'm happy to help as I speak it. :smile: Bonne chance aves vos contrôles!!!

Thank you for replying, and @ithd1202, can I ask how you would memorise the futur proche and futur simple especially irregualr ones? And what tips would you give for listening and writing exams?
Thank you for replying, do you think revision books are a good way to get info, and if you have any tips for application science questions?

Thank you for replying, and @ithd1202, can I ask how you would memorise the futur proche and futur simple especially irregualr ones? And what tips would you give for listening and writing exams?

Revision books can be helpful but think practice papers are the best. You need to know all of the practicals and that's mostly what the application questions are about. I am positive that you are going to do well as you are determind.

For near future (futur proche) I would recommend writing it out multiple times but also coming up with a small tune. When you are using le futur proche, remember it is pronoun+'going'+infinitive;
Je (pronoun) VAIS(going) manger(infinitive)
Tu VAS manger
Il/elle VA manger
Nous ALLONS manger
Vous AVEZ manger
Ils/elles VONT manger
For futur simple you need to only need a pronoun and the correct ending for a word;
manger will lose its -er ending and you'd replace it with the appropriate pronoun
for je you will add -ai: je mangeai
tu -as
il/elle -a
nous -ons
vous -ez
ils/elles -ont

As for the irregular verbs;
aller, être, avoir, faire, venir, vouloir, voir, devoir, pouvoir, recevoir, they will completely change but the endings for the regular verbs will still apply for them

aller= ir+the appropriate ending; je + ir-ia= j'irai
etre= ser+...
avoir=aur-
faire= fer-
venir= viendr-
vouloir= voudr-
voir= verr-
devoir= devr-
pouvoir= pourr-
recevoir= recev-

As for speaking and listening i would recommend watching french films with subs on netflix and similar sites, listening to natives speak the language will help you establish the accent when you speak and also make it easier for you to understand. In a speaking assessment the examiner likes to hear you linking words while speaking, this makes it easier for you too because it will make your flow of speech better. Hope this helped :smile:
Reply 6
For near future (futur proche) I would recommend writing it out multiple times but also coming up with a small tune. When you are using le futur proche, remember it is pronoun+'going'+infinitive;
Je (pronoun) VAIS(going) manger(infinitive)
Tu VAS manger
Il/elle VA manger
Nous ALLONS manger
Vous AVEZ manger
Ils/elles VONT manger
For futur simple you need to only need a pronoun and the correct ending for a word;
manger will lose its -er ending and you'd replace it with the appropriate pronoun
for je you will add -ai: je mangeai
tu -as
il/elle -a
nous -ons
vous -ez
ils/elles -ont

As for the irregular verbs;
aller, être, avoir, faire, venir, vouloir, voir, devoir, pouvoir, recevoir, they will completely change but the endings for the regular verbs will still apply for them

aller= ir+the appropriate ending; je + ir-ia= j'irai
etre= ser+...
avoir=aur-
faire= fer-
venir= viendr-
vouloir= voudr-
voir= verr-
devoir= devr-
pouvoir= pourr-
recevoir= recev-

As for speaking and listening i would recommend watching french films with subs on netflix and similar sites, listening to natives speak the language will help you establish the accent when you speak and also make it easier for you to understand. In a speaking assessment the examiner likes to hear you linking words while speaking, this makes it easier for you too because it will make your flow of speech better. Hope this helped :smile:

This helped massively! Thank you so so much.
Do you have any tips for structuring writing, we're doing relationships if that helps.
Reply 7
Original post by ameliaagraceex
Revision books can be helpful but think practice papers are the best. You need to know all of the practicals and that's mostly what the application questions are about. I am positive that you are going to do well as you are determind.

Thank you, I guess I do have determination, but I'm still a bit worried. I want to do as good as my friends if not better.
This helped massively! Thank you so so much.
Do you have any tips for structuring writing, we're doing relationships if that helps.

Tbh with structuring your writing there is not right or wrong way, it is more of what the writing consists of, it's essential to have opinions, reasons, tenses, intensifiers (words like really, extremely, very), adjectives and connectives too.

The topic you're studying is actually an awesome one because you can kind of show off with phrases etc. So, if your talking about relationships, you can say 'Je m'entends bien avec ma mère car elle est vraiment sympa. Cependant, je me dispute avec mon frère cadet car je trouve lui agaçant'. In those two sentences alone you've used an opinion, a reason, a connective, an adjective and an intensifier. Proving to your teacher that you undertand what you need to get have in your writing will get you higher marks.

Also, using sophisticated phrases that not many people know is also how to get higher marks, phrases like ' il me tapes sur les nefs'- he gets on my nerves- when talking about relationships, is a great way to show off knowledge of the language!
Reply 9
Tbh with structuring your writing there is not right or wrong way, it is more of what the writing consists of, it's essential to have opinions, reasons, tenses, intensifiers (words like really, extremely, very), adjectives and connectives too.

The topic you're studying is actually an awesome one because you can kind of show off with phrases etc. So, if your talking about relationships, you can say 'Je m'entends bien avec ma mère car elle est vraiment sympa. Cependant, je me dispute avec mon frère cadet car je trouve lui agaçant'. In those two sentences alone you've used an opinion, a reason, a connective, an adjective and an intensifier. Proving to your teacher that you undertand what you need to get have in your writing will get you higher marks.

Also, using sophisticated phrases that not many people know is also how to get higher marks, phrases like ' il me tapes sur les nefs'- he gets on my nerves- when talking about relationships, is a great way to show off knowledge of the language!

Our teacher said he gets on my nerves is: il m'enerve?
Our teacher said he gets on my nerves is: il m'enerve?

Yes, that's right too, there are two ways of saying it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending