Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    As no doubt many members of this site will point out there seems to be a certain hatred for America in the world whether it be in the mosques of Iran, the countryside of korea or in France.

Many reasons have been put forward for the hatred of America, their determination to impose their will whether it be right or wrong on other countries, the fusing of evanglical christainity with politics and their disregard for the environment. However does most of this hatred really boil down to jealousy in the world. The fact they have so much power.

Personally I would like to think that this is the case for the informed objector however I can see it might well be the case for the ignorant.

NB: I have used the world hatred as its quite clear some groups do hate American but I also inculde the general dislike found in mainstream european politics for America. I do not think that everyone who campagined against the war hated america.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speciez99)
    As no doubt many members of this site will point out there seems to be a certain hatred for America in the world whether it be in the mosques of Iran, the countryside of korea or in France.

Many reasons have been put forward for the hatred of America, their determination to impose their will whether it be right or wrong on other countries, the fusing of evanglical christainity with politics and their disregard for the environment. However does most of this hatred really boil down to jealousy in the world. The fact they have so much power.

Personally I would like to think that this is the case for the informed objector however I can see it might well be the case for the ignorant.

NB: I have used the world hatred as its quite clear some groups do hate American but I also inculde the general dislike found in mainstream european politics for America. I do not think that everyone who campagined against the war hated america.
    i think a large part of it is jealousy, although i dont think people like to admit that. I'm sure there are some who just really do hate america for whatever reasons, but i think there are many people who are jealous of the USA.

ReputationRep:
    I think personally I object to the way in which the US uses its power and if I was in charge of a country with the resources of America I would certainly not be so hawkish.

ReputationRep:

as for imposing their will on other countries, maybe they don't hate it because they got the power to do so but cause they don't agree with the reason for why it is done.

i don't know why so many people hate america. but the lifestyle i different compared to the one in europe and maybe some are jealous but it can also be that it is something they don't understand, or agreee with.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm, I don't like the way America abuses its power and forces its culture on to everybody else.

It's not jealousy... why would I be jealous of it? I've looked at the domestic problems people have... such as loads of gun crime and kidnappings, some people being left without medical insurance and having huge debts from medical bills, and so on...

ReputationRep:
    Jealousy of what?

ReputationRep:
    I suppose jealously seems like a fair-enough term. The world-at-large needs a strong, benevolent ruling empire to prevent small rogue states having excess power. In the past, the British Empire served this purpose, but, having sacrificed itself to defeat Nazism, a new empire was neccessary to preserve world peace. The USA serves this purpose, but unfortunately seems unwilling to acknowledge it's state as an "empire" by imposing unfeasiblely short time-limits on it's overseas jaunts and by being too insular.

I would assume that many Britains are resentful of the Americans 'usurping' their hard-gained empire; 67 countries gaining independence from the mother land over the last 75 years would leave anyone bitter. Times change, though, and Britain's dominance over the world inevitably has ended.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PadFoot90)
    i think a large part of it is jealousy, although i dont think people like to admit that. I'm sure there are some who just really do hate america for whatever reasons, but i think there are many people who are jealous of the USA.
    I completely agree. Sure the rest of the world has some things that the US doesn't have. But I think that ya'll can't stand that we have some things ya'll don't. *ducks and covers*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calumc)
    Jealousy of what?
    their power to do what they want....

ReputationRep:
    On what scale? As individuals we all have the same power to do what we want, regardless of where we are. As a country as a whole (a rather false idea really) no country truly has the power to do "what it wants". The US may be regarded as "powerful" due to it's size, but I wouldn't say it's likely to try bombing London, occupying China, declaring war with Belgium, or nuking the middle east "just because it wants" any time soon, even if every single voter in the country wanted to.

ReputationRep:
    not really.

they'll only pick soft targets. they wouldnt dare try it on with any of the major world powers, not because they'd lose as such, but because they'd pay a heavy price.

(Original post by Mr White)
    I suppose jealously seems like a fair-enough term. The world-at-large needs a strong, benevolent ruling empire to prevent small rogue states having excess power. In the past, the British Empire served this purpose, but, having sacrificed itself to defeat Nazism, a new empire was neccessary to preserve world peace. The USA serves this purpose, but unfortunately seems unwilling to acknowledge it's state as an "empire" by imposing unfeasiblely short time-limits on it's overseas jaunts and by being too insular.

I would assume that many Britains are resentful of the Americans 'usurping' their hard-gained empire; 67 countries gaining independence from the mother land over the last 75 years would leave anyone bitter. Times change, though, and Britain's dominance over the world inevitably has ended.
    Hmmm i think the hypocrisy is what does it for me. When britian ruled the commonwealth ina 'daddy knows best' sort of way the americans hated it. They demanded we break up the empire. So we did, and they then immediately sweep in and basically reassemble and empire in the guise of 'saving the world'.
    There are so many gleaming examples of countries reformed/reforming for the better, and the ameerican government sweeping in and changing it simply to suit themselves.
    I know vienna has the view that this is ok, but i have the view that it is morally reprehensible, and obviously a source of shame, else why else coat it in spin, fear and lies.

jehhhhhhhhhhesus christ its cold in london/my room

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foolfarian)
    poncey sutherner :p:

ReputationRep:
    Some of the hatred and dislike may be down to jealousy, the fact that what was once a colony of the Britidh empire has now grown to be the world's only super power can be quite annoying to some.
    Some of the hatred towards the US is down to the utter repulsion to the American way of life and capitalism which, although not the only country that has such a way of life, is the most notable example of such a country.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm i think the hypocrisy is what does it for me. When britian ruled the commonwealth ina 'daddy knows best' sort of way the americans hated it. They demanded we break up the empire. So we did, and they then immediately sweep in and basically reassemble and empire in the guise of 'saving the world'.
    There are so many gleaming examples of countries reformed/reforming for the better, and the ameerican government sweeping in and changing it simply to suit themselves.
    I know vienna has the view that this is ok, but i have the view that it is morally reprehensible, and obviously a source of shame, else why else coat it in spin, fear and lies.

Nothing is perfect. America is greatly flawed as an empire, but then, it is a fundamentally benevolent force. The USA more-or-less maintains peace in the world. I feel it is fairly safe to state that the world would be worse off without the American superpower looming over it at all times.

ReputationRep:

Britain ruled over and had sovereign control over its colonies. The US does not have any colonies and while it does influence regional politics, does not seek to or claim sovereign control over any independent nation state.

A charge of hypocrisy does not stand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wiwarin_mir)
    Some of the hatred and dislike may be down to jealousy, the fact that what was once a colony of the Britidh empire has now grown to be the world's only super power can be quite annoying to some.
    Since it was a conscious choice by other Western nations to allow America to establish itself as the clear superpower, it suggests jealousy.

Some of the hatred towards the US is down to the utter repulsion to the American way of life and capitalism which, although not the only country that has such a way of life, is the most notable example of such a country.
    Yes, communists hate capitalism. I think it is absurd to portray anti-American feeling in the Western and/or developed world as being of a communist voice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    Britain ruled over and had sovereign control over its colonies. The US does not have any colonies and while it does influence regional politics, does not seek to or claim sovereign control over any independent nation state.

A charge of hypocrisy does not stand.
    indeed right.

i dont see america's "empire" stretching over 1/4 of the land surface of the world like the british one did

infact, does it have any sort of empire?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technik)
    indeed right.

i dont see america's "empire" stretching over 1/4 of the land surface of the world like the british one did

infact, does it have any sort of empire?
    The US does not have an empire, although we could characterise its dominance as being imperial in nature.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technik)
    not really.

they'll only pick soft targets. they wouldnt dare try it on with any of the major world powers, not because they'd lose as such, but because they'd pay a heavy price.
    maybe its because we dont have an issue with any of the other major world powers? :rolleyes:

(Original post by wiwarin)
    i sure hope this has nothing to do with anime :rolleyes:

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.