Is hatred of the USA just jealousy? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Vienna
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by canuck)
Well, Vienna95 just dosnt realise that Canadian economics works. Our economy is in a boom,
Id be more concerned about what figures now indicate for the future. If your idea of a boom is a chronic dependence on the value of the US dollar and a GDP growth at the wrong end of single figures, then I think that adds weight to concern.

within 5 years our military will be to the strength that it should be compared to our population.
what on earth does that mean?

Many jobs are availabe, educated and labour. Our baby boomers are all retiring, and we need to fill the positions, so if your looking for a job, come over.
Well at least you hint at the growing socioeconomic problems.

One final note. We don rely on U.S. protection, we dont ask for it, its just there, to protect U.S. interests.
I think youve misunderstood the concept. The fact that it would take "5 years" and huge spending for Canada to "have a defence capable of defending its own population" should tell you something about a reliance on US guarantees for your safety.

Vienna95, shut your ****ing whole, im tired of your ****. You cant compare Canada with the U.S. nor can you denounce Canadians for what they choose. We enjoy our political system, legal system, socail system, economic policies and our balanced budgets.
oh dear, another childish tantrum à la foolfarian. Please respect the TSR guidelines which allow us to use the forum without having to read this kind of insult and foul abuse.

IF you care to read my post its quite clear that I make no criticism of the quality of living in Canada or the choices of Canadians, rather that they exist and the US made different ones, with different outcomes. Its amusing then that having promoted perceived Canadian success in relation to the US, you tell me that "You cant compare Canada with the U.S".
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by psychic_satori)
Of course, the standard of living measurement used in those determinations includes the nationalized healthcare, which is what gives Scandinavian countries a higher level. if you think about weather, and other random intangibles, you can create a different scale. I have read before that people living in the US rate their happiness and comfort higher than people in other countries. Whether this is a cultural characteristic or something greater, I don't know. However, I think the standard of living comparison studies are a little too academic, and they don't include some things that just cannot be scientifically categorized.
the weather...do remember of course that although the people of miami and calofornia might enjoy some prime weather, others have to put up with volcanoes, tornadoes, hurricanes, earthquakes...
Norway may be a bit nippy, but its pretty stable when u think about it
material breach
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
(Original post by foolfarian)
the weather...do remember of course that although the people of miami and calofornia might enjoy some prime weather, others have to put up with volcanoes, tornadoes, hurricanes, earthquakes...
Yeah last time i checked Oslo wasnt on the San Andreas Fault line or in the middle of hurricane ally.
Jamie
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Made in the USA)
The Canadian economy is in bad shape.

in 2004, your GDP grew at a pathetic 1.7%. The American economy grew much faster last year. We saw our GDP increase by 3.1%

If you're looking for a job, stay away from Canada. Canada's unemployment is at 7.8%. Ours is 5.4%.

Canuck, where do you get your info? Do you have a really bad source or do you make up your own facts & figures? If you did a google search before you posted, I wouldn't have to spend so much time refuting just about everything you say in your posts. This is not hard information to find.

Yeah, after many years of censorship, Canada's bolshevik government finally gave in. You now have your government's permission to watch the fox news channel. There are a lot of Europeans that don't care for Fox News, but they all live in countries that always gave them the freedom to watch it.
My word your economic theory is in poor shape. Honestly I know that its the only thing they talk about on the news, but growth is not the be all and end all.

Canada has had freedom of press for many many decades, so that censorship rubbish is just balls. Unless you are referring to the rule which says a third of televeision material must be canadian (an attempt to prevent culture erosion from america). As is the use of bolshevik which is your way of touting the word 'liberal' once more. Canada is indeed a liberal country, which probably contributes to the lack of racial tension when compared to other countries. It also puts it head to head with its nazi (I'm using the olde and extreme terms now like yourself) neighbour in issues like cuba (canada doesn't support sanctions, landmines (well the US makes alot of money out of them), tariffs (us preaches free trades then whacks tariffs on timber and gives massive subsidies to farmers)

Back to growth, US growth may be outstripping much of the developed world, but its still not enough. If you look at the trade charts of each country, you8'll find canada had a deficit in the early to late 90s and has now reversed that and got surplus trade. THe US meanwhile is getting deeper and deeper into deficit. The exports are still rising slightly, but american consumerism being what it is, people (other than the country bumpkins) don't care if it is made in america, they care if it is cheap. Thus you are swamped with cheap imports and the import rate is rising much faster than export. Hence this deficit is getting worse and worse, indicating it is only a matter of time before a big 'bust' (which will drag the rest of the world into recession as well i would imagine). And there is nothing you (or anyone) can do, because the second you try tariffing your way out of trouble, a tit for tat will be seen across the world, and america will lose out
Jamie
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Speciez99)
Yeah last time i checked Oslo wasnt on the San Andreas Fault line or in the middle of hurricane ally.
Heres the thing i never got...don't americans ever get taught the lesson of the three pigs? If i ever lived in america I'd build a big solid brick house right in the middle of a row of flimsy wooden ones and then laugh mightily when everyone elses collapse and mine is left standing. (The trick is to open your doors and windows during the storm... )
psychic_satori
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
However, even the periodic natural disaster cannot compare to the darkness during winter that annually launches many Scandinavians into depression.
psychic_satori
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Heres the thing i never got...don't americans ever get taught the lesson of the three pigs? If i ever lived in america I'd build a big solid brick house right in the middle of a row of flimsy wooden ones and then laugh mightily when everyone elses collapse and mine is left standing. (The trick is to open your doors and windows during the storm... )
Actually, the more solid types of material are the worst building materials for surviving earthquakes, hurricanes and the like because they have very little give. The best building materials for surviving high winds, heavy rains, and even a shaking foundation are bundles of bamboo.

Oh, and opening your doors and windows during a storm might seem like a great idea in theory. But, the interior of the home will be destroyed by flying debris, heavy rain and high winds. And, most people stay in the basement of their home during a hurricane, and opening the windows and doors would just put them at greater risk.
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
so that censorship rubbish is just balls. Unless you are referring to the rule which says a third of televeision material must be canadian (an attempt to prevent culture erosion from america).
Yes, thats the stuff.

As is the use of bolshevik which is your way of touting the word 'liberal' once more. Canada is indeed a liberal country, which probably contributes to the lack of racial tension when compared to other countries.
Such as?

in issues like cuba (canada doesn't support sanctions, landmines (well the US makes alot of money out of them), tariffs (us preaches free trades then whacks tariffs on timber and gives massive subsidies to farmers)
do try and keep your feet on the ground, do you actually disagree with any of the points Made In The USA raises in relation to Canada, or is this just another sloppy free for all at the US?

Back to growth, US growth may be outstripping much of the developed world, but its still not enough.
If you look at the trade charts of each country, you8'll find canada had a deficit in the early to late 90s and has now reversed that and got surplus trade. THe US meanwhile is getting deeper and deeper into deficit. The exports are still rising slightly, but american consumerism being what it is, people (other than the country bumpkins) don't care if it is made in america, they care if it is cheap. Thus you are swamped with cheap imports and the import rate is rising much faster than export. Hence this deficit is getting worse and worse, indicating it is only a matter of time before a big 'bust' (which will drag the rest of the world into recession as well i would imagine). And there is nothing you (or anyone) can do, because the second you try tariffing your way out of trouble, a tit for tat will be seen across the world, and america will lose out
Sorry, what has that got to do with the canadian economy? The canadian economy is hardly booming with a stagnant growth rate. Made In The USA pointed this out in reply to canuck. You firstly criticise his economic theory, none of which could actually be determined from a simple presentation of the facts, never address the relevance of those facts in relation to the point being addressed(whether the canadian economy is booming or not) and then go back to talking about the US again.
canuck
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Also, may i ask you economic geniuses, why is the U.S. allowing its dollar to decrease at a steady pace? Wont a decreased dollar increase imports, thus killing jobs in the factory?
canuck
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by vienna95)
Yes, thats the stuff.

Such as?

do try and keep your feet on the ground, do you actually disagree with any of the points Made In The USA raises in relation to Canada, or is this just another sloppy free for all at the US?

Sorry, what has that got to do with the canadian economy? The canadian economy is hardly booming with a stagnant growth rate. Made In The USA pointed this out in reply to canuck. You firstly criticise his economic theory, none of which could actually be determined from a simple presentation of the facts, never address the relevance of those facts in relation to the point being addressed(whether the canadian economy is booming or not) and then go back to talking about the US again.
You should hardly rely on Made in the U.S.A figures. They are extremily outdated. Instead, of blowing of steam in this thread, look at both goverments websites on economic figures, and you can ee that he couldnt be more wrong on the data

May i also point out that Canada has reached its full industrail capabilities and production. Another sign of a booming economy. We are a G8 member so dont bother saying we have minor industrail capabilities.
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
You should hardly rely on Made in the U.S.A figures. They are extremily outdated. Instead, of blowing of steam in this thread, look at both goverments websites on economic figures, and you can ee that he couldnt be more wrong on the data
Im not relying on them. Im stating that in preferring to list a tedious and valueless rant at the US, those figures are not being disputed. That benefits neither you or I or the discussion.
canuck
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Im not relying on them. Im stating that in preferring to list a tedious and valueless rant at the US, those figures are not being disputed. That benefits neither you or I or the discussion.
Sometimes i get tired of disputing this. Here you are critisising our "stagnet" economy. The socail system kept my afloat in hard times (american softwood lumber tarrifs.) Those Tarrifs killed communities, shut down mills, and bankrupted canadian companies. The only reason why my parents are still employed is the extremily high price for softwood lumber (hurricanes.) One downside to a "lefty" socail system is that some take advantage of the socail benifits (drug adicts, aboriginals, immigrants) We could probably never reach a unemployment rate below 2%. Those who do work, recieve salaries they can easily live on. Families that have slaries below $30,000 dollars canadian are considerred impoverished, and can apply for aid.

Also, may i ask to americans, can you claim donations on your income taxes?
psychic_satori
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Also, may i ask to americans, can you claim donations on your income taxes?
Yes, we can.
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Sometimes i get tired of disputing this. Here you are critisising our "stagnet" economy.
canuck: "our economy is in a boom, under a liberal goverment.."
Made In The USA: "in 2004, your GDP grew at a pathetic 1.7%."

That figure is accurate for the year 2003 and thereabouts for the last quarter of 2004. Made In The USA clearly disputed your claim that the canadian economy was in a boom.

I dispute your claim that Canadian economy is in a boom..."If your idea of a boom is...a GDP growth at the wrong end of single figures, then I think that adds weight to concern."

Instead of disputing that figure and rebuking our challenge to your assertion in regards to the state of the Canadian economy, we have yourself and foolfarian telling us about US deficit, consumerism, criticising MadeUSA for his economic theory and warning americans about tariff wars!

The socail system kept my afloat in hard times (american softwood lumber tarrifs.) Those Tarrifs killed communities, shut down mills, and bankrupted canadian companies. The only reason why my parents are still employed is the extremily high price for softwood lumber (hurricanes.) One downside to a "lefty" socail system is that some take advantage of the socail benifits (drug adicts, aboriginals, immigrants) We could probably never reach a unemployment rate below 2%. Those who do work, recieve salaries they can easily live on. Families that have slaries below $30,000 dollars canadian are considerred impoverished, and can apply for aid.
is the Canadian economy in a boom?
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by psychic_satori)
Yes, we can.
You can write anything off in America.....even the few dollars you put into the collections plate every Sunday. Hurrah!
material breach
Rep:
?
federal debt looks good in america
:rolleyes:
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Speciez99)
federal debt looks good in america
:rolleyes:
Not the be all and end of of economic life in the US is it?
material breach
Rep:
?
(Original post by Howard)
no but I think that the arguements sometimes are a little one sided on here for various reasons and some people tend to try and paint things as black and white. As I cant be bothered to research and write essays to properly define my position on these things, an odd fact points sometimes readdresses the balance.
Jamie
Report 14 years ago
canuck: "our economy is in a boom, under a liberal goverment.."
Made In The USA: "in 2004, your GDP grew at a pathetic 1.7%."

That figure is accurate for the year 2003 and thereabouts for the last quarter of 2004. Made In The USA clearly disputed your claim that the canadian economy was in a boom.

I dispute your claim that Canadian economy is in a boom..."If your idea of a boom is...a GDP growth at the wrong end of single figures, then I think that adds weight to concern."

Instead of disputing that figure and rebuking our challenge to your assertion in regards to the state of the Canadian economy, we have yourself and foolfarian telling us about US deficit, consumerism, criticising MadeUSA for his economic theory and warning americans about tariff wars!

Instead of looking at one years growth would it not be prudent to look at the past 5 years or past decade. You would see that in 2001/2002 the growth rates was some 5.5%.
My arguments were based on the fact made in usa was slamming canada's economic record in comparison to the US. I was pointing ou that whilst canada's growth rate has slowed somewhat, the growth rate of the US is not all it seems to be. It is unsustainable, and disguises a huge monetary black hole which is threatening the entire american (and thus world) economy.
You like to bark on about the american military being an unsurpassable force in the world. Well because of the money sunk into that military, the US is being sucked dry.
Jamie
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Howard)
you'd be surprised. Countries are like any business, when money coming in is less than money going out...worry.
America is acting a bit like BT...drawing deeper into deficit then putting huge investment in a project doomed to failure (Iraq/3rd generation licence).
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1607)
79.12%
Leave (424)
20.88%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise