Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by foolfarian)
    the weather...do remember of course that although the people of miami and calofornia might enjoy some prime weather, others have to put up with volcanoes, tornadoes, hurricanes, earthquakes...
    Norway may be a bit nippy, but its pretty stable when u think about it
    We don't get/have volcanoes, tornadoes, hurricanes, or earthquakes in my state, but we get 6.5 meters of SNOW each year.

(Original post by psychic_satori)
    However, even the periodic natural disaster cannot compare to the darkness during winter that annually launches many Scandinavians into depression.
    Yes, along with "knocking on back" the nectar of the 100 proof potato vodka, while wiling away a midnight winters dream.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    canuck: "our economy is in a boom, under a liberal goverment.."
    Made In The USA: "in 2004, your GDP grew at a pathetic 1.7%."

That figure is accurate for the year 2003 and thereabouts for the last quarter of 2004. Made In The USA clearly disputed your claim that the canadian economy was in a boom.

I dispute your claim that Canadian economy is in a boom..."If your idea of a boom is...a GDP growth at the wrong end of single figures, then I think that adds weight to concern."

Instead of disputing that figure and rebuking our challenge to your assertion in regards to the state of the Canadian economy, we have yourself and foolfarian telling us about US deficit, consumerism, criticising MadeUSA for his economic theory and warning americans about tariff wars!
    http://www.canadianeconomy.gc.ca/english/economy/

Please look here, since your to bloody lazy to look for yourself

is the Canadian economy in a boom?
    That was in 2000. All forest companies are operational at the moment. Some are even hiring at a starting wage of $23 an hour.

ReputationRep:
    All im trying to show is that in Canada, the gap between the rich and poor is far more narrow then in the U.S. I wouldnt trust made in the U.S.A, he calls our liberal goverment Bolsheviks. Now, thats a bit far, as far as calling the bush administration Nazis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by canuck)

Sadly you seem to have again rejected the opportunity to offer a serious rebuttal of Made In The USA's opinion, supporting your own claim of a boom.

That was in 2000.
    Five years ago the world was a very different place.

ReputationRep:
    Here have another one, if your bothered to look.

http://strategis.ic.gc.ca/epic/internet/ineas-aes.nsf/vwapj/MEI200412e.pdf/$FILE/MEI200412e.pdf

ReputationRep:
    Here have another one, if your bothered to look.

http://strategis.ic.gc.ca/epic/internet/ineas-aes.nsf/vwapj/MEI200412e.pdf/$FILE/MEI200412e.pdf
    What are those figures showing and which in particular do you believe support your argument?

ReputationRep:
    What are those figures showing and which in particular do you believe support your argument?

You already read the whole thing?

ReputationRep:
    You already read the whole thing?
    No, I hoped, again, that you would demonstrate to the forum, evidently with the resources, how Canada's economy is in a boom.

ReputationRep:
    No, I hoped, again, that you would demonstrate to the forum, evidently with the resources, how Canada's economy is in a boom.

Well, if you looked at it, you cant copy and paste. O well, your a lost cause.

Canuck, I looked at the above URL, tell me, which of the indicators are you proud of????

It can't be the inflation rate, prime rate, unemployment rate or the real GDP

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Douglas)
    Canuck, I looked at the above URL, tell me, which of the indicators are you proud of????

It can't be the inflation rate, prime rate, unemployment rate or the real GDP

You actaully read it all eh?

Well, if you did, to sum is all up, the Canadian economy is slowing down. The decrease in the american dollar is having a negative effect on our exports.

Other than that, look at the GDP, trade surplus, employment rate of people +25, industrail production, ect.

ReputationRep:
    O well, your a lost cause.
    No, youre the lost cause.

canuck: "Well, Vienna95 just dosnt realise that Canadian economics works. Our economy is in a boom"

canuck: "to sum is all up, the Canadian economy is slowing down"

I am also pleased to see you came eventually came around to support my original assertion that your previously refuted...

Vienna: "The Canadian economy relies on the US economy"

canuck: "The decrease in the american dollar is having a negative effect on our exports."

ReputationRep:
    No, youre the lost cause.

canuck: "Well, Vienna95 just dosnt realise that Canadian economics works. Our economy is in a boom"

canuck: "to sum is all up, the Canadian economy is slowing down"

I am also pleased to see you came eventually came around to support my original assertion that your previously refuted...

Vienna: "The Canadian economy relies on the US economy"

canuck: "The decrease in the american dollar is having a negative effect on our exports."

Your just a bloody ***** arent ya. You would make a great scheming lawyer some day, you pic apart the **** you like to see, and shove it in ones face.

Our economy, has recouvered from the 1993 slum from the conservative goverment left it in. The Liberal Goverment, under Chretein, cut spending, cut deficets, and ecouraged investment, and you can see the results he had produced when he left.

Now, lets say Canada attempted to increase the Canadian dollar above the U.S. dollar, wouldnt that effect both countries? I also did say (nice to see you leave that out) that both countries rely on eachother deeply for trade.

Now, interpet whatever you want, if it helps you sleep at night thinking the U.S. is a holly and pure nation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calumc)
    There's so much rubbish in that post that I'm not even going to bother giving it a lengthy reply. Out of the "criteria" you mention "Crime, poverty, corruption, pollution..", "not living in fear of your life", "visibility of class differences" and others which you dismiss yourself with "I am not saying that either validates our country as great" etc., I don't see anything which marks the US out as being any "better" than, for example, the UK. Yet you still think that "The US is a pearl compared the rest of the world.".
    Take a deep breath, no one is insulting the UK. If you would calm down and read what I actually said, I was comparing the US to the rest of the WORLD.. again, the rest of the WORLD. You are pretty sensitive about all this. Would you be as upset if a Russian citizen declared his feelings that Russia was the greatest country in the world or a Brazilian for doing the same? I don't think so... Furthermore, you have not provided any evidence or taken any effort to dispute any of my claims. I will assume that you are unable to.

You turn it slightly personal with "The US is entitled to feel however it wants, they are cocky and they live well and people, such as yourself, obviously resent them for that.". Here we have the "just jealous" argument again, we now resent you for "living well". You don't think any of us "live well" ourselves? Yet we still resent you, but you refuse to believe there could be any other reason but jealousy?
    You turned it slightly personal with the terms 'ridiculous, ignorant, goddamn arrogant' so don’t give me that crap.

1) The US is the most powerful country militarily as it spends more on their military than the entire WORLD combined.
    2) The US is the most powerful country economically as it is the creator and most powerful member in the WTO, the World Bank, and the IMF (these organizations control virtually all global trade).
    3) The US is the number one owner of intellectual property in the WORLD.
    There you have it; The strongest, the wealthiest, and the most popular (in terms of culture) and the American people are all aware of this. They know that their products can be found all over the world, they know they have the strongest military, they know that they live more comfortable lives than most of the world. You are in complete denial if you think that jealousy has absoultley nothing to do with our comtempt. Jealousy is the fountainhead of the resentment that stems from the uneducated and those unaffected by US policy. Do you think all of those 19 year old kids you see burning American flags on television have any insight or grasp on the dynamics of US foreign policy and its effects on a global stage?? The United States is the figurehead of democracy and capatilism around the world and thus draws the attention of those who oppose it. Look at Russia for example, most of the Russians I have met have been very proud and all patriotic citizens of 'Mother Russia'. Russia's foreign policy is somewhat similar to the US, as it can be described as imperialistic. You do not see the same kind of mass hatred/resentment that you do for Russia as you do for the US so you cannot put the blame soley on our foreign policy.

American people are cocky and arrogant- so what? And your impression of myself as being so 'goddamn arrogant' is a product of the unrelenting and mostly ignorant attacks of my country that constantly flood this forum.

Like I said earlier, I have traveled around the world. I can communicate in three languages and I am working on my fourth. In my opinion there is not a better place to live than the US. You can argue/debate/disagree with actions that our politicians take, and I myself have many concerns with our foreign policy. I cannot stand Bush and have even been accused as being anti-Americans by other Americans on this forum. But the US is a great country to live in, its clean, its safe, it is stable, and people generally live very well. They are also very cut off and protected from the threat of war and direct attack.
    UNHDR has the US at 6th in the best places to live in the world. Year in and year out the US is amongst the top in almost all of the categories that factor into this.

I'm not saying that the US is the best nation in the world from an objective point, but more from my subjective opinion. But, I am aware that much of the contempt directed at my country is spawned from jealousy. You previously asked 'jealousy of what'- I have tried to answer that.

ReputationRep:
    Also, may i ask you economic geniuses, why is the U.S. allowing its dollar to decrease at a steady pace? Wont a decreased dollar increase imports, thus killing jobs in the factory?
    A decreased dollar makes our products cheaper on a global market. Thus it increases US exports.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kondar)
    A decreased dollar makes our products cheaper on a global market. Thus it increases US exports.
    Well, the result would be an increase for the price of imports (raw materails)

Also, a lower dollar will have americans paying more for there sony TV's, video games, cars, ect.

ReputationRep:
    Your just a bloody ***** arent ya. You would make a great scheming lawyer some day, you pic apart the **** you like to see, and shove it in ones face.
    I'll take that as a compliment and spare the negative rep, as there are just too many insults worth mentioning.

Now, interpet whatever you want, if it helps you sleep at night thinking the U.S. is a holly and pure nation.
    I dont see how our discussion of your assessment of the Canadian economy has anything to do with the US.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kondar)
    Take a deep breath, no one is insulting the UK. If you would calm down and read what I actually said, I was comparing the US to the rest of the WORLD.. again, the rest of the-
    Stopped reading there, as it became clear you'd clearly misread or ignored what I said and to top it off, had decided to be unnecesarily patronising, not to mention hypocritical.

If you would calm down are read what I actually said, you'd see I didn't say anything about "insulting the UK", and merely mentioned it as an example in passing. I too was comparing the US to the rest of the "WORLD", and pointing out that when compared to the rest of the "WORLD" the US has no more claim to call itself "the greatest country" than several others. You appear to acknowledge this when you refer to the US as "one of the top.." in whatever category, and so on, or perhaps you simply realise that you could not possibly support the assertion that it was "the top" in these categories, since in the majority of cases it isn't. Why you still think that despite being only a "one of" makes the US the "greatest country on earth" eludes me, because as I'm hope you've become aware in trying to argue your case, there are actually very few categories the US is "greatest" in, and the few that it is, such as military/monetary power, are because of and rely almost solely on it's large size and population. Perhaps because I'm not some 12 year-old with penis envy, I am far from jealous of you for "living in a bigger country than me", which I'm afraid appears to be all it comes down to.

Anyway, I give up. Go on thinking you live in "the greatest country on earth" if it keeps you happy, since I'm clearly not going to convince you otherwise, but I do hope I've caused you to question this, and hopefully realise that your belief is more of a "traditional American idea" than something based on anything factual. But please realise, there really is nothing for me to be jealous of, really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calumc)
    I too was comparing the US to the rest of the "WORLD", and pointing out that when compared to the rest of the "WORLD" the US has no more claim to call itself "the greatest country" than several others. You appear to acknowledge this when you refer to the US as "one of the top.."
    So whats the argument?

in whatever category, and so on, or perhaps you simply realise that you could not possibly support the assertion that it was "the top" in these categories, since in the majority of cases it isn't. Why you still think that despite being only a "one of" makes the US the "greatest country on earth"
    I havent seen where Kondar asserted that the US was the greatest country on earth. I did see that he demonstrated that it was the most militarily and economically powerful, and like the developed world, is comparably a great place to live.

and the few that it is, such as military/monetary power, are because of and rely almost solely on it's large size and population.
    i) That is irrelevant, they are undeniable facts.
    ii) Large size and population as opposed to? The EU is bigger than the US yet far weaker in these terms.

Perhaps because I'm not some 12 year-old with penis envy, I am far from jealous of you for "living in a bigger country than me", which I'm afraid appears to be all it comes down to.
    No, it comes down to whether you actually recognise that the US is "one of the safest, cleanest, poltically free, diverse, and wealthiest countries on earth". Whether you recognise that, "the US is a paradise compared to most of the world."

Anyway, I give up. Go on thinking you live in "the greatest country on earth" if it keeps you happy, since I'm clearly not going to convince you otherwise, but I do hope I've caused you to question this, and hopefully realise that your belief is more of a "traditional American idea" than something based on anything factual. But please realise, there really is nothing for me to be jealous of, really.
    To anyone reading this discourse, you would think that you had some contestible points to raise against Kondar, but there arent any. You have entirely misrepresented his posts and fabricated quotes in a crude means to portray an assertion that the USA is THE greatest country on the planet. Yet his quotes clearly say differently,

"The US is one of the greatest county on earth in almost all tangiable comparable categories and the American people KNOW that."

"the US is a paradise compared to most of the world."

"one of the safest, cleanest, poltically free, diverse, and wealthiest countries on earth"
    This conviction is clear and consistent, yet you falsely suggest that he has tempered his opinion. "Go on thinking you live in "the greatest country on earth" if it keeps you happy"

You then completely miss the context of his comments, "This is not only wrong but unduly patronising, and can get rather irritating to those who realise their country is no better or worse than the rest of the modern world."

contradict yourself to that extent, "I too was comparing the US to the rest of the "WORLD" "

And throw in some prejudice for good measure, " Wrong, but many American people THINK that, which is why they get a reputation for being so goddamn arrogant."

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.