Is hatred of the USA just jealousy? Watch

This discussion is closed.
psychic_satori
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Made in the USA)
Maybe I'm too biased to give an accurate perspective on American/British relations.

My family has owned at least 10 British cars. I grew up working on Land Rovers and Triumphs with my dad. I drive a Lotus Elise...

As a British car enthusiast and mechanic, it kills me to see the US take a beating on this forum. I guess I need to get a new hobby.
See, I'm not an Anglophile, and I don't particularly envy British culture. Nor do many other people that I know.
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 14 years ago
Maybe I'm too biased to give an accurate perspective on American/British relations.

My family has owned at least 10 British cars. I grew up working on Land Rovers and Triumphs with my dad. I drive a Lotus Elise...

As a British car enthusiast and mechanic, it kills me to see the US take a beating on this forum. I guess I need to get a new hobby.
You lucky barstad!
I decided long ago not to bother getting a car till i can afford a nice one.
An aston martin vanquish perhaps, or a nice TVR.
Jamie
Report 14 years ago

Hmmm, note that 'US bashing' as you might say is the reserve of the academics.
You have the full support of our plebs who make up 70% of the population
Made in the USA
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by foolfarian)
You lucky barstad!
I decided long ago not to bother getting a car till i can afford a nice one.
An aston martin vanquish perhaps, or a nice TVR.
I believe the one we get is what you call the 111R. Awesome machine.

Are you surprised? Judging by my politics, I bet you thought I'd drive a Hummer
Jamie
Report 14 years ago
I believe the one we get is what you call the 111R. Awesome machine.

Are you surprised? Judging by my politics, I bet you thought I'd drive a Hummer
WEll an Elise is certainly alot more elegant and stylish than i would have imagined. I pictured an SUV (you know one of those which rolls over and kills everyone inside on the most pissy of corners) or one of those arnie endorsed big barstad things
Kondar
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I forgot what kind of car it was, but when I was in France I rented the coolest car. To start the car all you had to do was push a button (instead of turning the key) and the key itself was a thick credit card thing that I slid into a slot....

I loved it. I want to buy one and bring it back to the states... any ideas to what it could of been?
Douglas
Badges: 0
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Kondar)
I forgot what kind of car it was, but when I was in France I rented the coolest car. To start the car all you had to do was push a button (instead of turning the key) and the key itself was a thick credit card thing that I slid into a slot....

I loved it. I want to buy one and bring it back to the states... any ideas to what it could of been?
It must've been a Renault Dauphine.
psychic_satori
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
WEll an Elise is certainly alot more elegant and stylish than i would have imagined. I pictured an SUV (you know one of those which rolls over and kills everyone inside on the most pissy of corners) or one of those arnie endorsed big barstad things
Actually, I did a very unscientific survey during the election that seemed to link Democrats with the SUVs. On my trips from my hometown to Pittsburgh (and back) I would count the number of Democrat/Republican bumper stickers and the different types of cars they were on. 67% of the SUVs with bumper stickers were supporting a Democrat.
Kondar
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by psychic_satori)
Actually, I did a very unscientific survey during the election that seemed to link Democrats with the SUVs. On my trips from my hometown to Pittsburgh (and back) I would count the number of Democrat/Republican bumper stickers and the different types of cars they were on. 67% of the SUVs with bumper stickers were supporting a Democrat.
2 out of 3 by any chance?? And isnt Pittsburgh one of those dreaded 'big cities' where all the evil liberals live?
psychic_satori
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
2 out of 3 by any chance?? And isnt Pittsburgh one of those dreaded 'big cities' where all the evil liberals live?
It's a 60 mile drive, one-way, so, um, no. I had 143 SUVs in my sample, and 96 of them had Democrat bumper stickers.

I did the sample going home and back, that way I was getting Pittsburghers, sururbanites, and rural dwellers.

Pittsburgh, big city? Yeah, right...in 1972.
Kondar
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by psychic_satori)
It's a 60 mile drive, one-way, so, um, no. I had 143 SUVs in my sample, and 96 of them had Democrat bumper stickers.

I did the sample going home and back, that way I was getting Pittsburghers, sururbanites, and rural dwellers.

Pittsburgh, big city? Yeah, right...in 1972.
Haha, well when you said 67% thats the first thing I thought of. hehe sounds like a decent study.
Made in the USA
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Many of the liberal politicians are what we call "Limousine Liberals." They are all for the common man and the environment, but most are complete hypocrites and don't practice what they preach. Often, they have the typical private jet, speed boats and SUVs. I can't even imagine how many thousands of gallons of fuel John Kerry's Gulfstream V private jet consumes each year.
Kondar
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Many of the liberal politicians are what we call "Limousine Liberals." They are all for the common man and the environment, but most are complete hypocrites and don't practice what they preach. Often, they have the typical private jet, speed boats and SUVs. I can't even imagine how many thousands of gallons of fuel John Kerry's Gulfstream V private jet consumes each year.
Heres the point though, USA. What you and Douglas and Satori all lack is RATIONAL. Yes, those liberals exist and yes that is an example of hypocracy, but that does NOT apply to the entire group. You have the same hypocrits on the right side of the aisle as well.

Your impression of liberals seems to be defined based on the worst of the lot.
Your impression of conservatives seems to be defined based on the best of the lot.

See the problem??
Jamie
Report 14 years ago
Yeh we have a guy called 'two jags' (stands for two jaguars) here - the deputy prime minister john prescott. Who preaches public transport, but uses a car to go all of a few hundred yards
yawn
Badges: 13
Report 14 years ago

It's a renault scenic or megane - my family have one in pearl black with silver trim. It's beautiful.
yawn
Badges: 13
Report 14 years ago
Yeh we have a guy called 'two jags' (stands for two jaguars) here - the deputy prime minister john prescott. Who preaches public transport, but uses a car to go all of a few hundred yards
Johnny boy is never going to live that down is he?

Mind you, I can't think of any cabinet minister who uses public transport - excuse being security.

I do admire one of our politicians for travelling every where by taxi (he actually brought in stringent laws regarding car use in the city of London - but sets such a good example himself). It's the Mayor of London - Ken Livingstone.
Made in the USA
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Speciez99)
Many reasons have been put forward for the hatred of America, their determination to impose their will whether it be right or wrong on other countries, the fusing of evanglical christainity with politics and their disregard for the environment.
I think you are mistaken in your belief that we don't care about the environment. There are a lot of places in Europe that aren't that clean. I've never been to any place in the USA (and I travel a lot!) that is even half as dirty as Athens, Greece. When I was there in 1995, you couldn't even see more than 1/2 a block down the road in the morning because the smog was so bad. At the end of the day, it was painful to blink because my eyes were bloodshot from the pollution. After walking around outside, going from one store to another, I blew my nose and covered my tissue in black soot. Maybe they've cleaned up the place since then, but even if it's 50% cleaner, they still have quite a way to go.
material breach
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
I think you are mistaken in your belief that we don't care about the environment. There are a lot of places in Europe that aren't that clean. I've never been to any place in the USA (and I travel a lot!) that is even half as dirty as Athens, Greece. When I was there in 1995, you couldn't even see more than 1/2 a block down the road in the morning because the smog was so bad. At the end of the day, it was painful to blink because my eyes were bloodshot from the pollution. After walking around outside, going from one store to another, I blew my nose and covered my tissue in black soot. Maybe they've cleaned up the place since then, but even if it's 50% cleaner, they still have quite a way to go.
Athens doesnt have any where as near as much money or resources to clean up its pollution. America does.
pedy1986
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
*points at Americas name on Kyoto* Oh wait....
Vienna
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by corey)
*points at Americas name on Kyoto* Oh wait....
That would be assuming the Kyoto protocol is necessarily the best way of, or even beneficial to, adressing the environmental issue. To suggest a lack of American participation is indicative of a disregard for environmental policies is subjective at best.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (142)
45.81%
Pro-humanity (168)
54.19%

Watched Threads