Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Yup. Some of the legacies may have been positive (the same is true of the Roman Empire) but the empires themselves tend to be viewed through rose-tinted spectacles as regards their darker side - slavery, corruption, whatever. To an extent this is also true of the USSR - see also the USSR thread!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Agent Smith)
    Yup. Some of the legacies may have been positive (the same is true of the Roman Empire) but the empires themselves tend to be viewed through rose-tinted spectacles as regards their darker side - slavery, corruption, whatever. To an extent this is also true of the USSR - see also the USSR thread!
    On the contrary, the British Empire is certainly not looked at from a positive angle with regard to slavery and oppression. Popular media has made sure that this isn't the case and made the British imperialists look like devils. Sure in many respects they were, but 200 years ago, no countries were beautifully peaceful.
    In effect, there was more respect for human life, less torture, less death penalties in the British Empire than in most other countries. We just enjoy focusing on the big players.
    The fact that the British Empire was the first major country to abolish slavery altogether is often overlooked and few people are aware of this. The double centenary of the abolition of slavery is coming up so people might start becoming aware of this.

ReputationRep:
    Im not sure myself - but there was a clip in a film last night "black hawk down" - based on american military intervention in somalia i think. There was a clip where a hostage taker said, in words alike, we the terrorists don't talk or take diplomatic means,we kill - killing is our life and natural way etc - and that they hate democracy. The "hate democracy" bit in the film riled me a bit - it might be true but the way it was so purposefully intended to be roped into the film to create an effect or other - im not sure but i didnt like that moment very much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wizard)
    The "hate democracy" bit in the film riled me a bit - it might be true but the way it was so purposefully intended to be roped into the film to create an effect or other - im not sure but i didnt like that moment very much.
    An effect as in, portraying reality?

ReputationRep:
    Im not sure myself - but there was a clip in a film last night "black hawk down" - based on american military intervention in somalia i think. There was a clip where a hostage taker said, in words alike, we the terrorists don't talk or take diplomatic means,we kill - killing is our life and natural way etc - and that they hate democracy. The "hate democracy" bit in the film riled me a bit - it might be true but the way it was so purposefully intended to be roped into the film to create an effect or other - im not sure but i didnt like that moment very much.
    It's just a movie, but, it does makes sense. It's not as if the terrorists in the film are riling against systematic problems. Democracy doesn't FORBID those activities that terrorists oppose, so it makes sense that terrorists wouldn't like such a system. As you can never guarantee the direction a government will take based on democracy, it makes sense that terrorists would hate it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vienna)
    An effect as in, portraying reality?
    Yes maybe, but i just didnt like it. It was the militias in the film saying it - obviously an american scriptwriter, putting words into mouths so deliberately - and into minds of the audience - i just felt the moment was so manufactured - it wasn't particularly nice. It may well be a reflection of reality, yes, but the so purposefully intentioned method it was employed just wasn't nice.

ReputationRep:
    Yes maybe, but i just didnt like it. It was the militias in the film saying it - obviously an american scriptwriter, putting words into mouths so deliberately - and into minds of the audience - i just felt the moment was so manufactured - it wasn't particularly nice. It may well be a reflection of reality, yes, but the so purposefully intentioned method it was employed just wasn't nice.
    Would you rather have heard him say terrorists LOVE democracy?

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.