The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I dislike how my Glaswegian accent makes me sound really agressive to people outwith Scotland. Also, find a lot of people find it diffucult to understand.
Reply 61
afireinside©
Alison, you damn right!! I bet you've got a well sexy accent :wink: :cool:

Hahaha you best believe it! :biggrin:
Best - Northern Ireland mmmmmm.....

Worst - Saaf London Bruv. Or possibly sloaney posh north London. Ooh, or Essex. Basically, anything eminating from the South-East!
My favourite accent is RP with any kind of slight regional accent mixed with it.

i.e. Posh but not too posh.
Hmmmmm

Favourite:
Northern and Scottish, but only if not too strong. Irish and Welsh are also nice to hear.

Least favourite:
London, definately! And posh RP (Queen style), and southern "farmer" type accent.

What does everyone have against Midlands by the way? A really thick Brum accent can make the speaker sound really thick, but a slight Birmingham/Dudley accent actually sounds nice in my opinion.
Fav:Irish and Australian

Least: Somerset and some american accents
Reply 66
RealityIsDull
Fav:Irish and Australian

Least: Somerset and some american accents

wow,so many people like scottish and irish...i dont know why i hate it..i find that it sounds really harsh and strong..if you get what i mean..
Anna
wow,so many people like scottish and irish...i dont know why i hate it..i find that it sounds really harsh and strong..if you get what i mean..

The southern Irish accent is soft and lilting, I find it relaxing to listen to personally :smile:
Reply 68
Eeyore
The southern Irish accent is soft and lilting, I find it relaxing to listen to personally :smile:

see me history teacher was irish...and i reckon ive just had extreme bad experience of the accent from him...he used to sound HORRID. we were scarde so badly of him...and his accent used to scare us even more :redface:
Boys with Irish accents... they make me melt! I met a couple at an interview... *falls over* Slightly posh southern accents are nice too...

I don't mind a soft Yorkshire accent (I live here) but when a lot of us get going at top speed, even my mum can't understand us (she's from the South)...

I don't like Geordie accents much, though I know people who absolutely adore it. It's one of the few accents I can't mimic as well (beyond 'Why ay man!), which puts it in my bad books :wink:
Reply 70
fav: aussie
least fav: newcastle(tyneside)
Reply 71
Faves: Seth Efrikan Arfikaans accent, Non Bogan Australia, Scottish, French, Boston American (Sort of reminds me of a Saffa who might have been living there for a few years) and Spanish

Non faves: American, Bogan Australian, Niew Zulund.
Fav: Irish, Australian.
Least Fav: Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuurminghum.
I wish I had a Newfie accent (from Newfoundland, Canada). It's a mix of Irish and other accents from the British Isles. It sounds quite Canadian but at the same time, it's just as close to a North American accent as it is to a Welsh or Irish accent.
It would be so disorientating for people in London to guess where I'm from that it would be fun.
Fave: Yorkshire
most annoying: Welsh
British accents are cool, most of the time (except the chavy 'Blazin Squad' types lol *cough*sorry*cough* :rolleyes: :biggrin: ). You lot are lucky tho, you live in a country with many different accents :cool:

Over here in Aus, there's jst really one accent (tho it does vary slightly depending where you live, bt not much).

Hmm, I think my faves would have to be the proper British accent, Canadian and also Lancashire - as I've some rels that live there, hehe biased :redface:

Least fave? Kiwi (sorry guys!) And some OTT bogan Aussie accents which can sound rough :frown: Also chav UK accents (no offence. Jst personal pref).

Mine, for the record, is more of a toned down Neighbours-type accent. Well spoken, but from the vowels you can tell it's Australian :smile:
serious narb
Fave: Yorkshire
most annoying: Welsh

I like Welsh accents :frown: one of my besties is from Wales and she sounds cool.
danni_bella83
I like Welsh accents :frown: one of my besties is from Wales and she sounds cool.

A southern Wales accent.. :puke:

I'm so sorry if i've offended anybody!
afireinside©
A southern Wales accent.. :puke:

I'm so sorry if i've offended anybody!

That's OK, every1's entitled to their own opinion here. Well tbh my friend doesn't sound Welsh anymore as she's lived here for four years already, so I couldn't tell you what a southern Welsh accent really sounded like in full :confused:
Reply 79
hmmm welsh accents aren't too bad. but irish ones sound really gorgeous...

Latest

Trending

Trending