acidrainz
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
At my school we start the year with 4 a-levels, and after the october half term we drop one.

This is where my dilemma is, as I enjoy my subjects and feel they are useful for university, and in what I want to do in the future.

I want to do an engineering course or something in design (ie product design/civil engineering/mechanical engineering)- but it would be nice to keep my options open.

My A-levels are:
-Maths - I enjoy the subject and it will keep my options open (I got an 8 at GCSE)
-History - I know it does not really link, but I am passionate about the subject (I got a 9 at GCSE) and will show my analytical skills/strengthen my writing
-Art and design (3D design) - To show my creativity to the university (9 in graphics at GCSE)
-Physics - I enjoy science, and feel physics will relate into what I want to do in the future (I got a 9 at GCSE)

Please can someone help me in choosing what to drop.
Thank you
username5420160
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Do you really have to do art and design? Which one doesn't relate to the course you want to do?
acidrainz
Rep:
?
(Original post by Imhere2help)
Do you really have to do art and design? Which one doesn't relate to the course you want to do?
History probably relates the least, but I do enjoy it a lot. Art and Design relates more as it is a design subject, and will help if I want to do a design technology for uni. - So I have no idea which one to drop.
username5420160
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by acidrainz)
History probably relates the least, but I do enjoy it a lot. Art and Design relates more as it is a design subject, and will help if I want to do a design technology for uni. - So I have no idea which one to drop.
You could just learn history in your spare time though. You could always appreciate it from afar ( unless that's your favourite subject, then I think you might wanna change your course)
acidrainz
Rep:
?
(Original post by Imhere2help)
You could just learn history in your spare time though. You could always appreciate it from afar ( unless that's your favourite subject, then I think you might wanna change your course)
Yeah i guess. Would it be worth taking an AS level for history if those still exist? And also, does anyone know if product design requires art and design, or can I get into it with maths and physics?
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
History is the least 'useful' for your degree choice -
acidrainz
Rep:
?
(Original post by Muttley79)
History is the least 'useful' for your degree choice -
I have heard unis like it though, as it helps with analytical skills and prepares you for writing long essays. - Would it offer me anything better, and be as stronger subject, which the uni would prefer than 3D?
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I have heard unis like it though, as it helps with analytical skills and prepares you for writing long essays. - Would it offer me anything better, and be as stronger subject, which the uni would prefer than 3D?
No - you need the other three to give you flexibility in your choice of Engineering/design engineering/product design. You won't be writing essays in that sort of degree.
acidrainz
Rep:
?
(Original post by Muttley79)
No - you need the other three to give you flexibility in your choice of Engineering/design engineering/product design. You won't be writing essays in that sort of degree.
Oh yeah fair enough. Would it be worth taking an AS level though for history,
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Oh yeah fair enough. Would it be worth taking an AS level though for history,
Will your school let you? Can you cope with the additional work?
username4347578
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Since you want to do something engineering related, don’t drop physics and maths. It’s between art and design and history. Tbh out of these 2 it doesn’t matter which one you drop. Which do you think you enjoy the most? How about you ask your school to keep those 4 till Christmas?
acidrainz
Rep:
?
Yeah I’ll ask my head of year if that’s possible. However, let’s say I wanted to do product design, would I need to have 3D design (as a design subject). Or can I just replace that with history?
hajima
Report 9 months ago
Why can't you just do 4 A-Levels? Does your school not allow it?
Last edited by hajima; 9 months ago
acidrainz
Rep:
?
Yh I can, but it’s if I can manage the work load
username4347578
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Yeah I’ll ask my head of year if that’s possible. However, let’s say I wanted to do product design, would I need to have 3D design (as a design subject). Or can I just replace that with history?
I believe you can replace it but wouldn’t that make you have 4 alevels again?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (17)
17.89%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (26)
27.37%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (9)
9.47%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (10)
10.53%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (5)
5.26%
I think it's an unfair expectation (26)
27.37%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (2)
2.11%

Watched Threads