The Student Room Group

Oxford English Applicants 2021

Hi!
Just wondering if anybody is applying to study English at oxford? It’ll be great to speak to some people about how they feel the application process is going :smile: If you are, would you mind saying which college you are applying for?

Scroll to see replies

Hi! I successfully applied last year :smile: Let me know if you have any questions! I'm at Pembroke College by the way.
Reply 2
Original post by rachaellouwhite
Hi! I successfully applied last year :smile: Let me know if you have any questions! I'm at Pembroke College by the way.

Hi!
For the interview, would you say that we just need to confidently know the literature we mentioned on our personal statement. Or, do you think it’s worth reading one or two other works by the mentioned author? For example, I wrote about Mrs Dalloway in my personal statement, so should I read one or two more books that she wrote and know them confidently?

Thank you!
Original post by Sophiebxx
Hi!
For the interview, would you say that we just need to confidently know the literature we mentioned on our personal statement. Or, do you think it’s worth reading one or two other works by the mentioned author? For example, I wrote about Mrs Dalloway in my personal statement, so should I read one or two more books that she wrote and know them confidently?

Thank you!

You 100% need to know the books you spoke about in your personal statement! They will tend to ask you questions about them, to make sure that you've actually read it. :biggrin:

If you wanted to read some other of Woolf's novels, it would be interesting, but not necessarily a bonus. As a general rule of thumb, the tutors are far more interested in the quality and nuance of your ideas. For instance on my personal statement I wrote about: Beowulf, Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, A Midsummer Nights Dream, Macbeth and The Merchant of Venice as well as mentioning a few romantic poems.

In the two interviews I had relating to my personal statement, they asked pretty much exclusively about Beowulf and what I thought about it, so the depth of my knowledge was crucial, although admittedly I did make some links to a few other epics.

There isn't a singular 'golden key' to Oxford interview success though!

If you have a look around on Twitter and instagram, there are a fair few current students offering 'tutoring' sessions to applicants.

Hope this helps :biggrin:
Reply 4
You 100% need to know the books you spoke about in your personal statement! They will tend to ask you questions about them, to make sure that you've actually read it. :biggrin:

If you wanted to read some other of Woolf's novels, it would be interesting, but not necessarily a bonus. As a general rule of thumb, the tutors are far more interested in the quality and nuance of your ideas. For instance on my personal statement I wrote about: Beowulf, Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, A Midsummer Nights Dream, Macbeth and The Merchant of Venice as well as mentioning a few romantic poems.

In the two interviews I had relating to my personal statement, they asked pretty much exclusively about Beowulf and what I thought about it, so the depth of my knowledge was crucial, although admittedly I did make some links to a few other epics.

There isn't a singular 'golden key' to Oxford interview success though!

If you have a look around on Twitter and instagram, there are a fair few current students offering 'tutoring' sessions to applicants.

Hope this helps :biggrin:

I mentioned Sir Gawain and the Green Knight too! Did you read the translation or the original text? I have read both just to be safe.

I’ll definitely have a check on Twitter and Instagram. Thank you so much!

Hi! Do you have any tips for the ELAT? :smile:
Joining this thread for advice! I’m not expecting to get in at all but it’s always worth a shot! What are you all thinking of submitting for your written work? :h:
Reply 7
Original post by RebeccaB_x
Joining this thread for advice! I’m not expecting to get in at all but it’s always worth a shot! What are you all thinking of submitting for your written work? :h:

I was looking at the Oxford website and they said to only submit one piece of written work. But, Jesus college website said two pieces and when I asked, they confirmed it had to be two. So I’m probably going to submit a poetry extract essay because my college keeps having to send us home to isolate (covid) and I can’t get anything else in time. For the other piece, I already have some work I did on medieval literature :smile: what about you?
Hi everyone! I am reapplying for english this year because I thought it was worth a shot :smile: doing an essay from one of my mocks in yr13 for written work. I got 59/60 on elat last year (was definitely interview that let me down) and my main advice is do loads of practice!
Reply 9
Original post by Abbie2323
Hi everyone! I am reapplying for english this year because I thought it was worth a shot :smile: doing an essay from one of my mocks in yr13 for written work. I got 59/60 on elat last year (was definitely interview that let me down) and my main advice is do loads of practice!

Wow! That’s an incredible mark for the ELAT! The test is definitely what I’m most worried about. How did you prepare last year for it? :smile:
Wow! That’s an incredible mark for the ELAT! The test is definitely what I’m most worried about. How did you prepare last year for it? :smile:

thanks! I did about 8 practice papers (haven't left myself any for this year haha) and just found a kind of rhythm/way of approaching texts that worked most of the time (wouldn't say formula as that's the wrong approach but you get what I mean :smile:)
Reply 11
Original post by Abbie2323
thanks! I did about 8 practice papers (haven't left myself any for this year haha) and just found a kind of rhythm/way of approaching texts that worked most of the time (wouldn't say formula as that's the wrong approach but you get what I mean :smile:)

Yes, thank you! I’ve done about 5 past papers and I’m definitely seeing an improvement in my approach :smile: I just find it challenging to find a thesis to write about. I’ll have loads of little points, but can’t find a way in which to connect them
Oh wow, I feel so underprepared now :rolleyes: I’m still deciding on my written work, I only really have practice essays and class essays so I think it’s going to have to be one of those. I’m definitely most nervous about the interview, presuming I even get that far! Abbie2323, how was your experience last year? I know you can’t say specific questions, but what sort of things were you asked about? :smile:
Reply 13
Oh wow, I feel so underprepared now :rolleyes: I’m still deciding on my written work, I only really have practice essays and class essays so I think it’s going to have to be one of those. I’m definitely most nervous about the interview, presuming I even get that far! Abbie2323, how was your experience last year? I know you can’t say specific questions, but what sort of things were you asked about? :smile:

I’m worried about the short time between the ELAT and the interview. I’m mainly preparing for ELAT now, but I definitely need to re-read all the books I mentioned in my PS, and there’s only a couple of weeks to do so!
I also just had an interview for another university and they mentioned literary theories. I completely blanked and said “my teacher usually writes them on the board”. Luckily that didn’t seem to bother them and I got a scholarship for my interview performance. If Oxford decide to ask about theories, it might be good to familiarise yourself with a couple to avoid what I did 😂

Don't worry I am sure you'll smash it! I have only done one practice paper this year if it makes you feel better :wink:
For my interview last year they all had unseen extracts, once halfway through which I panicked at but shouldn't have :smile: also asked about most texts on my personal statement, some in a lot of detail! Hope that helps at all
Reply 15
Hi everyone,
For the ELAT, are you finding a big connection for your comparison and then linking your points to it? For example, the theme is "poverty" and then I'll specifically focus on how the writers create "entrapment", and find points to support how poverty causes entrapment. Or, are you just finding general connections based on the theme of poverty? I'm sorry if what I'm saying doesn't make much sense.
Reply 16
I’m definitely most nervous about the interview, presuming I even get that far! Abbie2323, how was your experience last year? I know you can’t say specific questions, but what sort of things were you asked about? :smile:

It'd be an unusual interview process for English which didn't include (1) some kind of unseen text for discussion (with some time beforehand to look at it and make notes), and (2) some discussion of at least one of the texts mentioned in your personal statement.

On dealing with unseen texts, there're two helpful blog posts from an interviewer here and here. Note that, as she writes, that practices vary from tutor to tutor and college to college! But, that said, I think her general pointers on preparation are solid.
Hi everyone,
For the ELAT, are you finding a big connection for your comparison and then linking your points to it? For example, the theme is "poverty" and then I'll specifically focus on how the writers create "entrapment", and find points to support how poverty causes entrapment. Or, are you just finding general connections based on the theme of poverty? I'm sorry if what I'm saying doesn't make much sense.

I'm not entirely sure. You could maybe have a point that 'Both writers present poverty as ...... by using a semantic field of entrapment". ?
But the main things is the constant compare and contrast. E.g one writer creates entrapment by this..... however, the other one by this structure/technique. Both writers use entrapment as a vessel to convey ......
Your point of entrapment could also be the argument? Like if you put it in the title and use it as a basis!
Reply 18
Year 12 over here. I'm thinking of applying next year for English, so I have a few questions that I hope nobody minds me asking here. My biggest question is about the personal statement- I understand that analysing texts and making links is crucial, but how long should this analysis be, considering the character limit? Also, other than mentioning texts you've read and forming opinions, what else would you suggest including on your personal statement (e.g. mentioning a relevant summer school, watching lectures, etc? I'm considering attending a summer school this year for English, but I'm wondering if not getting into it will be a disadvantage when it comes to an application)?

I'm also wondering about the ELAT, specifically about when you started preparing for it and if you got your A-Level English teachers to have a look at them for feedback.

Thank you! Also, good luck to OP and other applicants here with the rest of your application process :smile:
Original post by Pichi
Year 12 over here. I'm thinking of applying next year for English, so I have a few questions that I hope nobody minds me asking here. My biggest question is about the personal statement- I understand that analysing texts and making links is crucial, but how long should this analysis be, considering the character limit? Also, other than mentioning texts you've read and forming opinions, what else would you suggest including on your personal statement (e.g. mentioning a relevant summer school, watching lectures, etc? I'm considering attending a summer school this year for English, but I'm wondering if not getting into it will be a disadvantage when it comes to an application)?

I'm also wondering about the ELAT, specifically about when you started preparing for it and if you got your A-Level English teachers to have a look at them for feedback.

Thank you! Also, good luck to OP and other applicants here with the rest of your application process :smile:

I wouldn’t say I analysed books as such, just said how they developed my interest and understanding of English :cute: . Also for the ELAT, don’t stress it, you can literally do nothing to prepare except practice papers, and there’s not an infinite amount of those so you might wanna save most of them for next year!

about your summer school, only write about it if you get on and if you don’t you don’t have to mention it I’m pretty sure. Hope this was useful, I’m maybe not the best person to ask as Oxford is very aspirational for me (GCSEs aren’t really up there and my school hasn’t had a successful application in years!) but hey, I tried. :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending