The Student Room Group

How do you get over a crush?

Okay so I’m a 15 year old girl btw

I’ve had a crush on this guy for literally 3 years and I honestly hate it. It’s not something sappy or anything, my brain is an absolute idiot and I crush on someone I barely know! I’ve been in most of classes since yr7 and he’s really really smart, usually 1st or 2nd in our year (I would be either 1st or 2nd too) so he would know of me, because I beat him in nearly everything >:smile: and he’s kind of athletic (sorry if I’m blabbing too much) I’m not sure if he would be called attractive because well if you have a crush then they’re gonna look quite attractive to you.

I don’t speak much to him and he’s honestly really nice and funny (and noOo I’m not saying he’s funny because I like him, but he genuinely is everyone laughs at his jokes) lmao

And I don’t even know why I like him, I don’t even know him that well??? I’m such an idiot, I like people I don’t know that much and I like them for far too long. I hate having crushes, they make me feel so pathetic and helpless, I can’t do anything about them and when I try to get rid of them they just stay longer UGH I’m sorry if I sound so frivolous, it’s literally just a dumb little crush but I absolutely hate it. And I make sure no one knows about it either, I’m not the kind to get really flustered around them...okay I am but I hide it well, I hope

How do I get rid of crushes??? I hate it when I randomly get so obsessive over it and just google a thousand things on how to get rid of them or if they like me back (and no I’m not stalking, and even if I wanted to i dont have any of their social medias). I swear I’ve searched over every single possibility to get rid of one, I sound so fricking pathetic, I know but it’s been f****ng 3 years and I want it gone! I know I have no chance (I’m not saying this to say bad about my self, just I don’t know him that well and I don’t think they honestly give a f) and I really really don’t want to tell them, i hate anyone knowing when I have crushes even my best friends :/

If you read to the bottom of my LONG text thank you so much, you are honestly an angel and you don’t have to to reply but please please if you have anything tell me? I’m desperate
In my experience, you don't get over crushes you just learn to deal with them.

I have had a crush on one of my closest friends for 3 years and I have never told them. What I have done is accept that this is a thing that I will feel and go throw in my life and that has helped subdue it a bit but the feeling is still there.

You should accept that you will get crushes and that it is okay for that to happen.
I'm just going to suggest maybe you get to know him more? You could easily do this if you're in the same classes and you never know where that might lead :wink:

Especially as you're both intelligent, that's always something both sides are attracted to. And don't put yourself down if he doesn't even know you! If you get to know him, he could see something in you that you don't. :smile:

But to answer your question, you kind of just realise later on that they weren't going to be the best person for you. I had a crush on a close friend for about 2 years in high school and I asked him out once, got rejected, but still couldn't bring myself to let him go. I did get rather obsessed with him towards the end unfortunately but then over a summer I didn't see him and gradually my feelings went. He also got with someone else and it was then that I told myself there is no point pursuing him and the feelings finally dissolved. But I think deep down I still care for him, just because he's such a close friend of mine and my first ever crush and I want him to be happy - you know?! You'll just learn to deal with it once you get a bit older. I felt the same as you at your age don't worry! :tongue:
If u have a crush on someone, u should just tell them and go for it, have confidence, they might not even have any idea that you like them and as cringe as it may sound u only have one life so make the most of it.
I was gonna say just find something you like and get addicted to it... but seeing that you're 15 probably not a good idea.

Time will take care of it one way or the other.
Me having a crush on the same boy for the past 2 years.

I joined the school at the start of year 9 and he was the one boy, I noticed. I haven't never told anybody I like this boy, ever. He has loads of friends who are girls but me and him have been getting closer lately because all our GCSE choices are the same!

I will never tell him, nor anyone though! I like us being friends and I know we are better of as friends too! Plus, he wants to be an architect and I want to go to medical school so we have different hopes and dreams. We will go to different 6th Forms, so why bother?

LOL. This was so you do not feel alone.
Reply 6
Original post by JesusFlavio
In my experience, you don't get over crushes you just learn to deal with them.

I have had a crush on one of my closest friends for 3 years and I have never told them. What I have done is accept that this is a thing that I will feel and go throw in my life and that has helped subdue it a bit but the feeling is still there.

You should accept that you will get crushes and that it is okay for that to happen.

Thank you! Hopefully I can manage to get to that
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous
I'm just going to suggest maybe you get to know him more? You could easily do this if you're in the same classes and you never know where that might lead :wink:

Especially as you're both intelligent, that's always something both sides are attracted to. And don't put yourself down if he doesn't even know you! If you get to know him, he could see something in you that you don't. :smile:

But to answer your question, you kind of just realise later on that they weren't going to be the best person for you. I had a crush on a close friend for about 2 years in high school and I asked him out once, got rejected, but still couldn't bring myself to let him go. I did get rather obsessed with him towards the end unfortunately but then over a summer I didn't see him and gradually my feelings went. He also got with someone else and it was then that I told myself there is no point pursuing him and the feelings finally dissolved. But I think deep down I still care for him, just because he's such a close friend of mine and my first ever crush and I want him to be happy - you know?! You'll just learn to deal with it once you get a bit older. I felt the same as you at your age don't worry! :tongue:

Thank you so much :h:
I would want to get to know him more but I never get such opportunities and I don’t think I could ever be so upfront! Thank you for sharing, maybe that same thing will happen and I would be happy for him even if I didn’t really know him much xD
I always keep finding myself obsessing over doing these stupid things to change myself about and hopefully he’d notice me, omg I sound like every teen movie ever! I cannot believe my brain has gotten this point where I think like this
Reply 8
If u have a crush on someone, u should just tell them and go for it, have confidence, they might not even have any idea that you like them and as cringe as it may sound u only have one life so make the most of it.

WhAt iS coNfiDenCe also I’m terrified I’ll make a fool of myself
Reply 9
Original post by TreeFellOnMe
I was gonna say just find something you like and get addicted to it... but seeing that you're 15 probably not a good idea.

Time will take care of it one way or the other.

Tbh I want to, but I can never concentrate now (different reason but still) I’m trying to just make myself as busy as possible
Thank you :smile:
Me having a crush on the same boy for the past 2 years.

I joined the school at the start of year 9 and he was the one boy, I noticed. I haven't never told anybody I like this boy, ever. He has loads of friends who are girls but me and him have been getting closer lately because all our GCSE choices are the same!

I will never tell him, nor anyone though! I like us being friends and I know we are better of as friends too! Plus, he wants to be an architect and I want to go to medical school so we have different hopes and dreams. We will go to different 6th Forms, so why bother?

LOL. This was so you do not feel alone.

Thank you so much, I felt like I was the only one having long crushes >.<
I hope you and his relationship stay well xx

Spoiler

Thank you so much, I felt like I was the only one having long crushes >.<
I hope you and his relationship stay well xx

Spoiler

No they cannot see! It says Repped by anonymous!

And thank you so much! I hope things get well for you as well! I hope to move onnn! loll
No they cannot see! It says Repped by anonymous!

And thank you so much! I hope things get well for you as well! I hope to move onnn! loll

Thankuuu I was panicking for a second, thank you again :biggrin:xD I hope you get to move on as well lmao
Y the compulsion for secrecy? I felt so much better when I announced my crushes as they happened...usually it helped me put them in perspective even if I didn't act on the crush or he/she wasn't as into me.

By far the most awkward thing about teen crushes is how they can be manipulated u know by the Plastics etc. to create distress and emotional harm and the desire for secrecy empowers their whispering and negging tactics which destroy self-confidence.

When it's in the open u get this over with quick and nobody can hold you hostage to your feelings anymore.

tbh I get the feeling most teen girls don't declare this so much. Guys generally handle it better coz..well...they have balls and know somebody has to say something or it will never get started...let's be real 95 plus percent of M/F rels are initiated by a male taking the bull by the horns and making an approach or declaration of feelings to a female. To be clear I don't have a prob with that either but I found that making myself declare crushes and dealing with them directly made me super self-confident.... like I am now lol! :smile:
Original post by candydiva
Y the compulsion for secrecy? I felt so much better when I announced my crushes as they happened...usually it helped me put them in perspective even if I didn't act on the crush or he/she wasn't as into me.

By far the most awkward thing about teen crushes is how they can be manipulated u know by the Plastics etc. to create distress and emotional harm and the desire for secrecy empowers their whispering and negging tactics which destroy self-confidence.

When it's in the open u get this over with quick and nobody can hold you hostage to your feelings anymore.

tbh I get the feeling most teen girls don't declare this so much. Guys generally handle it better coz..well...they have balls and know somebody has to say something or it will never get started...let's be real 95 plus percent of M/F rels are initiated by a male taking the bull by the horns and making an approach or declaration of feelings to a female. To be clear I don't have a prob with that either but I found that making myself declare crushes and dealing with them directly made me super self-confident.... like I am now lol! :smile:

Wow you sound so confident and amazing, I wish I had your level of confidence!!
Thx! U r making me blush :colondollar: I didn't say it was easy and the first time was defo the worst but that was years ago now.
It can be hard. I am 16 and was crazy about a girl back in like year 7 and 8 but u get over it as time passes :smile:
Okay so I’m a 15 year old girl btw

I’ve had a crush on this guy for literally 3 years and I honestly hate it. It’s not something sappy or anything, my brain is an absolute idiot and I crush on someone I barely know! I’ve been in most of classes since yr7 and he’s really really smart, usually 1st or 2nd in our year (I would be either 1st or 2nd too) so he would know of me, because I beat him in nearly everything >:smile: and he’s kind of athletic (sorry if I’m blabbing too much) I’m not sure if he would be called attractive because well if you have a crush then they’re gonna look quite attractive to you.

I don’t speak much to him and he’s honestly really nice and funny (and noOo I’m not saying he’s funny because I like him, but he genuinely is everyone laughs at his jokes) lmao

And I don’t even know why I like him, I don’t even know him that well??? I’m such an idiot, I like people I don’t know that much and I like them for far too long. I hate having crushes, they make me feel so pathetic and helpless, I can’t do anything about them and when I try to get rid of them they just stay longer UGH I’m sorry if I sound so frivolous, it’s literally just a dumb little crush but I absolutely hate it. And I make sure no one knows about it either, I’m not the kind to get really flustered around them...okay I am but I hide it well, I hope

How do I get rid of crushes??? I hate it when I randomly get so obsessive over it and just google a thousand things on how to get rid of them or if they like me back (and no I’m not stalking, and even if I wanted to i dont have any of their social medias). I swear I’ve searched over every single possibility to get rid of one, I sound so fricking pathetic, I know but it’s been f****ng 3 years and I want it gone! I know I have no chance (I’m not saying this to say bad about my self, just I don’t know him that well and I don’t think they honestly give a f) and I really really don’t want to tell them, i hate anyone knowing when I have crushes even my best friends :/

If you read to the bottom of my LONG text thank you so much, you are honestly an angel and you don’t have to to reply but please please if you have anything tell me? I’m desperate

girl i am in the EXACT same position as you. i don't even know the person i like very well so it doesn't really make sense to like her?? it's been years and i still can't breathe around her. ig i find her sort of attractive? other than that she has no redeeming qualities apart from being one the "smart kids", but she's such a snob about it. we have mutual friends but she literally never talks to me and the only time she does talk to me is to make fun of me, but i still like her and i hate her for living in my mind rent free. when we do talk, i have to carry the conversation because she has no personality.

to answer your question about how to handle a crush that has gone on for way too long is to accept the fact that you have a crush on this person, and accept that perhaps you will never get over him. i know i sound pessimistic but no ridiculous "hOw To GeT oVeR a CrUsH" article is going to help you. the sooner you give in and learn to handle it, the better. personally, what helps me feel less pathetic is to focus on her bad qualities because, although hating on someone obsessively sounds lame, it's much less lamer than obsessing over someone who doesn't pay attention to you in my opinion.

i hope you get over this, because i really do know how you feel. the adrenaline rush you get around them is fun at first, but you start getting desperate after the first 6 months or so.
girl i am in the EXACT same position as you. i don't even know the person i like very well so it doesn't really make sense to like her?? it's been years and i still can't breathe around her. ig i find her sort of attractive? other than that she has no redeeming qualities apart from being one the "smart kids", but she's such a snob about it. we have mutual friends but she literally never talks to me and the only time she does talk to me is to make fun of me, but i still like her and i hate her for living in my mind rent free. when we do talk, i have to carry the conversation because she has no personality.

to answer your question about how to handle a crush that has gone on for way too long is to accept the fact that you have a crush on this person, and accept that perhaps you will never get over him. i know i sound pessimistic but no ridiculous "hOw To GeT oVeR a CrUsH" article is going to help you. the sooner you give in and learn to handle it, the better. personally, what helps me feel less pathetic is to focus on her bad qualities because, although hating on someone obsessively sounds lame, it's much less lamer than obsessing over someone who doesn't pay attention to you in my opinion.

i hope you get over this, because i really do know how you feel. the adrenaline rush you get around them is fun at first, but you start getting desperate after the first 6 months or so.

I FEEL YOU SO MUCH why does my brain react like this why don’t I have taste??? Yeah tbh none of those articles I’ve searched really help :/ Luckily though I’ve been so stressed lately that ✨I don’t have time to think of them✨ Just hope when I see them again my feelings don’t come back stronger
Sorry I replied so late and thank you so much feels better when I know I’m not the only one 😅

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending