The Student Room Group

To do or not to do an EPQ...

So I need to decide soon whether or not I am going to do my EPQ.

I am regretting not writing it over the summer and now I am finding year 13 too stressful and I don't know whether I would be able to complete my EPQ. I have collected all my research, almost too much, and I think I am ready to start writing but I am concerned about how much time it takes up and how it could impact my grades.

About me: I work every Sunday 7am-4pm as a lifeguard which is mentally tiring. I also swim 2-3 times a week in the evenings and I play hockey, matches on Saturday. Overall, I have no evenings and no free time over the weekend to sit down and write out my EPQ. (I am considering quitting swimming for a month to free up some time)

I need to decide soon whether I am actually going to complete it or not. I have been oohing and ahhing for ages now and I just need to make a firm decision soon so that I can stop stressing about it.

I am extremely interested in my chosen topic, however, it is a very difficult due to the fact that it includes very complex scientific knowledge and so would be hard to write.

Please can someone explain to me whether it is worth going through the extra stress and completing the EPQ or just to focus more on my 3 Alevels and getting the best grade I can get. However, by completing a EPQ, you also develop important skills and I was just wondering whether universities take this into a lot of consideration or not.

To make matters worse I have included my EPQ in my personal statement - I have not sent my personal statement off yet but I do not know what to put in its place.

Moral of the story is that I have no clue what I am doing which is causing way too much stress. So I am asking if there is anyone who has completed an EPQ, and how it benefited you when applying to university and your experience with writing it.

Thank you!! <3
don’t do an epq, it’s not worth the stress, it’s not that special anyways and year 13 gets so so so hard
Original post by perro123

I am regretting not writing it over the summer and now I am finding year 13 too stressful and I don't know whether I would be able to complete my EPQ. I have collected all my research, almost too much, and I think I am ready to start writing but I am concerned about how much time it takes up and how it could impact my grades.

About me: I work every Sunday 7am-4pm as a lifeguard which is mentally tiring. I also swim 2-3 times a week in the evenings and I play hockey, matches on Saturday. Overall, I have no evenings and no free time over the weekend to sit down and write out my EPQ. (I am considering quitting swimming for a month to free up some time)

I need to decide soon whether I am actually going to complete it or not. I have been oohing and ahhing for ages now and I just need to make a firm decision soon so that I can stop stressing about it.

I am extremely interested in my chosen topic, however, it is a very difficult due to the fact that it includes very complex scientific knowledge and so would be hard to write.

Please can someone explain to me whether it is worth going through the extra stress and completing the EPQ or just to focus more on my 3 Alevels and getting the best grade I can get. However, by completing a EPQ, you also develop important skills and I was just wondering whether universities take this into a lot of consideration or not.

To make matters worse I have included my EPQ in my personal statement - I have not sent my personal statement off yet but I do not know what to put in its place.

Moral of the story is that I have no clue what I am doing which is causing way too much stress. So I am asking if there is anyone who has completed an EPQ, and how it benefited you when applying to university and your experience with writing it.

Thank you!! <3

I have also put in my personal statement that I am doing an EPQ and yet I have no time to do it either. I have two pieces of coursework and just not enough time.

I am also debating on wether to go forward with it.

What I’d do, as you have the research, at any time that you are free start writing it and if it doesn’t work out then don’t do it xxx
No need to read all that.
Unless you really need the grade reduction and are massively on top of studies, then dont do it.
Focus on your A levels.
You cant be as interested as you claim in your EPQ otherwise you would have done the research and most of the draft by now. You are kidding yourself.
Your sport commitments also sound very heavy.
Give grades the priority and then see what spare time you have after.
At the moment you sound clueless and are wasting energy. Get it together and focus on what matters, your base A level grades.
Original post by perro123

Thank you!! <3

As well, you already have enough extra curricular activities to put in your personal statement and CV so it’s not like you need to do the EPQ x
Reply 5
Original post by EllieroseFarmer
As well, you already have enough extra curricular activities to put in your personal statement and CV so it’s not like you need to do the EPQ x

Yes thank you very much for your reply. I have decided to drop my EPQ and focus on my Alevels.

If this helps you too, I included a little bit about my research that I carried out during my EPQ into my personal statement. This was a tough decision but your reply did help me so thanks again xx
Reply 6
It's a shame that you've mentioned it in your personal statement because then unis will wonder why you didn't finish it and persevere, especially given that you had all of your data ready to go. But to be fair, you do sound extremely busy, and it's not like you're wasting your time doing nothing. Could you not have a weekend or two off so you can just buckle down and get it done?
Reply 7
Original post by Moana92
It's a shame that you've mentioned it in your personal statement because then unis will wonder why you didn't finish it and persevere, especially given that you had all of your data ready to go. But to be fair, you do sound extremely busy, and it's not like you're wasting your time doing nothing. Could you not have a weekend or two off so you can just buckle down and get it done?

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. I have actually decided to not complete my EPQ. I hadn't submitted my personal statement so it was easy to amend it otherwise, like you said, it would have looked worse if I told the universities that I didn't actually complete it and had it on my personal statement. Instead I actually wrote a little about my research that I did for my EPQ and linked it to some articles/books that I had read.

But yes thanks for your reply :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by 999tigger
No need to read all that.
Unless you really need the grade reduction and are massively on top of studies, then dont do it.
Focus on your A levels.
You cant be as interested as you claim in your EPQ otherwise you would have done the research and most of the draft by now. You are kidding yourself.
Your sport commitments also sound very heavy.
Give grades the priority and then see what spare time you have after.
At the moment you sound clueless and are wasting energy. Get it together and focus on what matters, your base A level grades.

Thanks for the honest opinion!

I have decided to drop EPQ.

Thanks for your help :smile:
Dont do the EPQ and exchange it on your PS you are listening and making notes on ''x'' podcast, or doing an online MOOC course in your spare time.
I signed up for the EPQ but I realised that after writing a 2000 word essay and having to write a 5000 word essay for my geography coursework that it needs time and actual effort which I’m all out off. It’s good that you dropped it because you can now concentrate on your 3 alevels and life :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending