The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

kidney thief
on a different but related note, how do you pronounce the girls' name "Siobhan"? i have never met anyone called this nor heard anyone say it out loud (or if i have, then i havent registered it as this name).
for future reference, just in case :smile:

I have a friend called Siobhan. Usually it's pronounced like this: 'ShvON', with the emphasis being placed on the 2nd syllable. However I could be wrong, or jst different tho, if you keep in mind I've an Aussie accent :p: But anyway that's how I usually pronounce it :smile:
Reply 61
ah, so that's how you spell 'shvaun'... i always wondered how people spelt the name!

i know that with the girl's name Sian, it's pronouced Sharn...
Reply 62
Niahm is "Neve" isnt it?
Reply 63
I know a Kiyl, and a Kaine, and a Jardine (yes they're chavs).

for amusement, anyone in lancashire, get the burnley express and look at the names in the birth section, my personal favorite was Jaxx, and anything with Amee added on the end seems popular.

Oh and what about names that are bad enough but then someone changes the spelling, i once knew a Jayson.

I can cope with Sian, Siobhan, and Niamh - irish or welsh names, but at least they are propper names and not made up. I went to school with a Philomena and a Dympna though so I suppose I'm used to irish names.

Oh and one of the trick-or-treators called his little sister 'pud', not sure if that was a nickname or a real name.
Reply 64
Onearmedbandit

OH and there was one time... I thought someone's name was Kangaroo :wink:

.. Well, I wonder who *that* could have been... :wink:
Reply 65
Raven :rolleyes:
A boy at school is called siobhan and it is pronounced Show ban. I think it is anyway :bebored:
Reply 67
what about diarmuid? i never know how to say that name, but when i hear people saying it, it souns like 'dermott'
o trust me nothing can be worse than english pronouncation of chinese names...it can be SO WRONG.

mine's so bad that my vet teases me like hell everytime he write in my cat's clinic record cos i'm the registered owner. thank god most people only know my english name and i didn't have to fill in my chinese middle name for UCAS. :p:
Reply 69
A friend of mine noticed that when his daughter was born she was small, round and yellow. As such, he named her Melanie.
Mr White
A friend of mine noticed that when his daughter was born she was small, round and yellow. As such, he named her Melanie.

*LMAO* :biggrin:
Reply 71
Joaquin, Aofie, and Holidae.
Reply 72
I read that a guy in china tried to call his son "@" but the courts refused it...

thats almost as bad as what prince changed to...but with nothing to be formally known as :p:
my cousin just had a baby and she called HER "bo" yes... like selecta. bo edwards at that! i pity the baby! but it was funny at a family party: <grandma> "yes everyone, the babys going to be called grace :biggrin:"
<cousin> "er, no grandma, i only toold you that to shut you up"
niice!
my friends grandma was called patricia (pat) then she married mr micock theres a mitch in that family too no joke. fun that! :biggrin:
Reply 74
i can confirm she really is called Bo. Yes, like bo peep.

Sian can be pronounced "Sharn" or "Sy-ann". We had two girls in my year, one of each spelling.

if there's a ^ that means it's Sharn, unless the parents are just illiterate.
I remember one guy called Clemence.
Reply 76
Oh i'm sorry i think i can top you all
Will works with a lady called Mrs Green
Who has just named her new baby girl Scarlet Amber
Guess who's gonna b called traffic lights...
Reply 77
I read in the newspaper a while ago that a man, who's name i can't remember so well call him Bob, (but that doesn't really matter), named his son Bob V2, as in Bob version 2, replacing Bob with what his real name is.
Reply 78
grapefruit
Joaquin

Thats not so strange, its a Spanish name, said "Waa-keen"
my brother wanted to call his youngest daughter molly... his surnames codling...

so molly codling...

no wonder his wife refused...

Latest

Trending

Trending