The Student Room Group

Applying to universities during gap year

I received my AL results this August and managed to get a place at a university for entry this year, but decided to defer a year after receiving my results. However, due to some complications in their system, I was told to reapply via UCAS for 2021 entry and I would be given an offer then. Because of this opportunity, I would like to try to apply to other universities while reapplying. As I already have my results, should I directly contact those universities I would like to apply to before I send them an application via UCAS? I'm not very familiar with how UCAS works for those who already have their AL results at the time of applying. My results weren't very good (ABC) as the grading system this year screwed me over, so I worry that the universities won't consider me if I only contact them via UCAS alone. Thanks for your help.
Original post by mango51333
I received my AL results this August and managed to get a place at a university for entry this year, but decided to defer a year after receiving my results. However, due to some complications in their system, I was told to reapply via UCAS for 2021 entry and I would be given an offer then. Because of this opportunity, I would like to try to apply to other universities while reapplying. As I already have my results, should I directly contact those universities I would like to apply to before I send them an application via UCAS? I'm not very familiar with how UCAS works for those who already have their AL results at the time of applying. My results weren't very good (ABC) as the grading system this year screwed me over, so I worry that the universities won't consider me if I only contact them via UCAS alone. Thanks for your help.

You can just apply like normal, although do pay attention if you're applying for certain courses that aren't so keen on gap years (for instance applying to certain unis to do maths they may prefer you to be doing something maths based during the gap year). This typically only applies to top unis for the majority of courses in that position though.
Unis usually make decisions entirely based on yoru UCAS application and contacting them before is unlikely to make any difference, other than possibly reassuring you they will consider you, if that would help. Just apply realistically and you'll be fine :smile:
Original post by mango51333

If you are thinking of applying to places with requirements of ABB or higher, then yes, it would be sensible to approach them beforehand to see if you would still be considered, (unis are usually less flexible with achieved grades than predictions).

If you are looking at places asking for ABC or lower then tbh you can just apply in the normal way, you have a good chance of being very seriously considered and the unis won't be able to tell you much more ahead of a formal application from you.

You have the benefit of being reasonably sure you're going to get an offer from the place you are reapplying to, so you don't really need to think about about applying to safer choices with lower requirements.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending