The Student Room Group

Need to transfer my pension but can't find a provider

Hi,

I have just completed a years work on placement where I was part of the civil service pension scheme. I've been notified I need to transfer my pension to a new defined benefit scheme or I'll lose the benefits. I have tried to google to find a personal pension scheme but all I'm getting is reams of advice. I can't seem to actually find anywhere I can apply for a pension scheme so that I can keep my money and I'm running out of time as I only have a month in which to do this before the money is lost. Please can somebody tell me anywhere I can contact to just sign up for a personal pension. I don't want advice, I just want a pension provider and didn't expect it to be this difficult. Thanks.
Original post by LetsLoseOurMinds
Hi,

I have just completed a years work on placement where I was part of the civil service pension scheme. I've been notified I need to transfer my pension to a new defined benefit scheme or I'll lose the benefits. I have tried to google to find a personal pension scheme but all I'm getting is reams of advice. I can't seem to actually find anywhere I can apply for a pension scheme so that I can keep my money and I'm running out of time as I only have a month in which to do this before the money is lost. Please can somebody tell me anywhere I can contact to just sign up for a personal pension. I don't want advice, I just want a pension provider and didn't expect it to be this difficult. Thanks.

***This sounds dubious, you need to check the terms and conditions of your pension scheme, and ensure this advice is genuine and not an attempt at pension transfer fraud*** (ie; criminal pretending to be your pension provider encouraging you to transfer your pension from a generous civil service scheme to a junk DC scheme).

Often you will be asked whether you want to transfer your pension to another provider but as far as I'm aware they can't force you to, nor withdraw your benefits. With said schemes when you change jobs you will be prohibited from making further contributions, but any contributions made or benefits earned will be safeguarded until retirement age.

You will struggle to find a qualifying DB scheme that accepts transfers in unless you find another job in the public sector within the next month (which is probably pretty unlikely).

If what you are saying is true (and legal) then your often option would be transferring your DB pension to a DC scheme with your new employer (eg; Nest, Scottish Widows) or a SIPP provider (eg; Vanguard, Cavendish) - SIPPs are often the cheapest option going forward. The vast majority of financial advisors wouldn't recommend this because most DB schemes are a lot more generous than their DC compatriots. Because of this you are required to get professional financial advice before transferring any DB pot worth more than £30,000 IIRC.

If you're still unsure I would post this on Reddit UK Finance - you will get a much better response there.
Reply 2
Original post by LetsLoseOurMinds
Hi,

I'm going to assume that you've been employed for a year and are now leaving the civil service.

I did a bit of Googling and found this: https://www.civilservicepensionscheme.org.uk/media/95350/alpha_schemeguides4_colour_v3.pdf

NOTE: I do not know if this is your pension scheme, or if it's applicable to you.

There is a difference between what happens if you have more than two years' service, or less than two years' service. This ties in with my recollection when I left a job with a private-sector employer many years ago.

It seems that you have two options -- either to get a refund of the contributions you've made, or to transfer the contributions to another scheme. One of the things that document says is "You usually cannot transfer your alpha pension to a defined contribution or money purchase scheme." -- which I think translates into "you would have to transfer to another defined benefit scheme".

Now, I need to state emphatically here that I don't know too much about pensions -- but defined benefit (DB) pension schemes are becoming increasingly rare. Where people have DB pensions, it's through an employer; but many employers have stopped offering them, either completely or to new employees.

So my suspicion is that unless you've moved to a new employment, where the new employer offers a DB pension scheme and you can transfer you pension to that, then you'll need to take a refund of your contributions instead.

Note that I do not have any qualifications to offer financial advice, this is just my limited understanding of what I think your situation might be.

@ch0c0h01ic is right to be wary of scams; but if you know you are leaving your employer then you do need to consider what to do.

You could look to see if you can find a local financial adviser who can explain your options, but you'll probably have to pay.

Also, you could try contacting the free Pensions Advisory Service: https://www.pensionsadvisoryservice.org.uk/contacting-us (Make sure you have relevant details to hand, including any letters you've had describing what your options are.
Reply 3
Original post by martin7
I'm going to assume that you've been employed for a year and are now leaving the civil service.

I did a bit of Googling and found this: https://www.civilservicepensionscheme.org.uk/media/95350/alpha_schemeguides4_colour_v3.pdf

NOTE: I do not know if this is your pension scheme, or if it's applicable to you.

There is a difference between what happens if you have more than two years' service, or less than two years' service. This ties in with my recollection when I left a job with a private-sector employer many years ago.

It seems that you have two options -- either to get a refund of the contributions you've made, or to transfer the contributions to another scheme. One of the things that document says is "You usually cannot transfer your alpha pension to a defined contribution or money purchase scheme." -- which I think translates into "you would have to transfer to another defined benefit scheme".

Now, I need to state emphatically here that I don't know too much about pensions -- but defined benefit (DB) pension schemes are becoming increasingly rare. Where people have DB pensions, it's through an employer; but many employers have stopped offering them, either completely or to new employees.

So my suspicion is that unless you've moved to a new employment, where the new employer offers a DB pension scheme and you can transfer you pension to that, then you'll need to take a refund of your contributions instead.

Note that I do not have any qualifications to offer financial advice, this is just my limited understanding of what I think your situation might be.

@ch0c0h01ic is right to be wary of scams; but if you know you are leaving your employer then you do need to consider what to do.

You could look to see if you can find a local financial adviser who can explain your options, but you'll probably have to pay.

Also, you could try contacting the free Pensions Advisory Service: https://www.pensionsadvisoryservice.org.uk/contacting-us (Make sure you have relevant details to hand, including any letters you've had describing what your options are.

Snap! I replied to the other thread on this, before seeing your reply.

In fact that quote from the document, "You usually cannot transfer your alpha pension to a defined contribution or money purchase scheme.", goes on to say "There are a small number of exceptions when a transfer may be possible, including after leaving with less than
two years’ service (a short-service transfer).". So it does sound as if a transfer can be made to a Defined Contribution scheme after all, as the OP only had one years' service.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending