The Student Room Group

Tips for leaving home

Hi. I would really appreciate if anyone can give me tips on moving out. I’m 17 and living at home but my Mum is toxic. She emotionally bullies and then acts like she’s done nothing wrong and it’s my fault. I’ve been through several traumatic things and just want to leave home. I would also be grateful if you can give me tips on dealing with her toxicity in the mean time. Thank you, have a nice day (:
I understand your situation. :smile:
I escaped from my parents before a level results were out seven years ago, will never go back and am unlikely to speak to them again.
Do you have a stable monthly income or savings to finance new accommodation?
Or any friends that can provide you with a safe place to stay far away from where you mother lives and be trusted not to leak the address?

Right now your priority has to be your health, safety and maintaining a positive state of mind.
While you have to share accommodation with a toxic individual, it is important to have strong coping mechanisms and a release outlet to prevent angry retaliatory action or the destruction of your self-esteem.
These can come in the form of hobbies that help you stay calm & busy, social support from friends or coworkers and avoidance measures you take trying to restrict the amount of contact your mother has with you when she's not working.
Reply 2
> Save up as much money as possible too put towards rented accommodation when you turn 18. Get a job and do the maths to see how much it would cost for you to move out based on how much you're getting paid - it may be a good idea to move somewhere cheaper if rent is too high in your area.
> Go to uni when you turn 18 as you can get your own accommodation away from your family.
> If you explain to your local council your home situation they may be able to put you into supervised accommodation (basically a hostel), depending on how urgent your situation is.
> You can also couch surf if you have any friends willing to do that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending