?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
Which is better ICAEW or ACCA and why?
MindMax2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
It depends on where you want to work. ACCA is internationally recognised, but it won't be held to the same level of credibility as the country's own accounting board e.g. you can work in most countries where ACCA is recognised, but if you work in Australia, most Australian employers would want someone with a CPA or CAANZ. However, CPA or CAANZ will not have much weight outside of Australia and New Zealand, and definitely won't have the coverage that ACCA has.

In the UK, ICAEW is preferred for accounting over ACCA, however, both make you eligible to work in the accounting profession by law. Should you wish to start your own practice in the UK, either ACCA or ACA are sufficient. Outside of the UK, ACA won't be held to the same regard as ACCA. You may also need to take further studies to practice abroad as well due to differences in GAAP e.g. the tax modules likely need to be retaken.
AW_1983
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by MindMax2000)
It depends on where you want to work. ACCA is internationally recognised, but it won't be held to the same level of credibility as the country's own accounting board e.g. you can work in most countries where ACCA is recognised, but if you work in Australia, most Australian employers would want someone with a CPA or CAANZ. However, CPA or CAANZ will not have much weight outside of Australia and New Zealand, and definitely won't have the coverage that ACCA has.

In the UK, ICAEW is preferred for accounting over ACCA, however, both make you eligible to work in the accounting profession by law. Should you wish to start your own practice in the UK, either ACCA or ACA are sufficient. Outside of the UK, ACA won't be held to the same regard as ACCA. You may also need to take further studies to practice abroad as well due to differences in GAAP e.g. the tax modules likely need to be retaken.
ACCA members can join CAANZ. They can also join CPA Canada.

ICAEW is not preferred for accounting over ACCA in the UK either. It was once, long long ago before ACCA got its Royal Charter but that's nearly 50 years ago now. All you have to do nowadays as an ACCA member to join the ICAEW is wait five years and get grandfathered in because both institutes know you can't get a cigarette paper between them on qualification. In fact, it's utterly pointless that we have two institutes. CIMA and CIPFA you can justify because they have marked differences in their syllabi and target audiences. ACCA and ICAEW being separate though is really daft.

ACA will be held in the same regard as ACCA internationally too. The ICAEW is part of the Global Accounting Alliance and members can join CAANZ, CPA Canada, CPA in the USA etc.

The reality is all the accounting qualifications in the UK are highly respected but CIMA should be avoided for people who want to work in Audit or Tax and CIPFA is really only for people in the public sector. Other than that, they all let you work abroad (you may have to do some minor work to be allowed to sign an audit in another country or practice independently but nothing major), they're all respected and you'll get paid about the same as another accountant doing the same job.
K1NE
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by zaink34)
Which is better ICAEW or ACCA and why?
I personally wouldn't say ICAEW is 'better' than ACCA because both qualifications are super credible and take a lot of time/effort/discipline to pass. If I was interviewing someone, I would try to see if that person is the right fit for the role based on their personality and experience.

There are however many employers/recruiters that will rank ICAEW above ACCA/CIMA and some other accountancy qualifications. There are various reasons for it.

Ultimately, I would say, do not think that if you do an ACCA or another accountancy qualification that it won't hold as much value as an ACA. Your experience and capability does count for a lot. How well you do at work will ultimately dictate how far you go. Maybe for your first job post qualifying if someone can see you have an ACA vs ACCA/CIMA etc... they may give you an edge but later on in your career, people will not care and look more into how much value are you adding, as opposed how nice does your C.V look.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (13)
14.29%
I need help researching courses (7)
7.69%
I need help with filling out the application form (6)
6.59%
I need help with my personal statement (36)
39.56%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (23)
25.27%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
2.2%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (4)
4.4%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise