The Student Room Group

Maths help A level A*!

I want to get an A* in A level maths and what do I need to do to get an A*?

I'm taking my actual a level in June next year

everything I need to do

😊🤧🙏

Scroll to see replies

Watch videos, do past papers religiously
Practice as much as you can
Original post by Tracheostenosis

Watch videos, do past papers religiously
Practice as much as you can

Is there a past paper website you can recommend?
Original post by curiousperson123
Is there a past paper website you can recommend?

I use www.mathsgenie.co.uk

I don’t watch his videos though, I use a different site for videos
I use www.mathsgenie.co.uk

I don’t watch his videos though, I use a different site for videos

exam solutions videos?

everything I need to do

😊🤧🙏

What a strange question!

Presumably you have downloaded the spec? Do all the practice examples. Use any tests to highlight gaps in understanding/knowledge. Go to help sessions and do all set work.

There's no secret - you just need to know the content and how to apply it.
exam solutions videos?

Nah I use www.tlmaths.com for videos
Practice examples in the book?
thanks guys 😊
Practice examples in the book?

Yh, but try not to rely on it.
I’d do past papers if anything
exam solutions videos?

I use Exam Solutions if I don’t get an exam question
I use Exam Solutions if I don’t get an exam question

ohh ok thank you
ohh ok thank you

Biggest advice is to hit past papers / model exam questions as early as possible - ideally do exam q's on the topics you've learned as soon as you've learned them. Then keep topping up revision on everything you've already learned. It gets intense towards exams if not. Don't neglect Stats & Mechanics either. I'd suggest working through TLMaths' Youtube alongside the official textbook.

everything I need to do

😊🤧🙏

Are you learning AS / A-Level all in one year?
Reply 14
Original post by Muttley79
What a strange question!

Presumably you have downloaded the spec? Do all the practice examples. Use any tests to highlight gaps in understanding/knowledge. Go to help sessions and do all set work.

There's no secret - you just need to know the content and how to apply it.

I thought I d say what a good reply and advice. I think its quality not quantity that matters. Focus on what you dont know and move on quickly. Because what you dont know does come up for sure.

I think revision groups are good. I think exam technique is vital, so mixing Q up so that you can do them quickly.
(edited 3 years ago)
ohh ok thank you

Dr Frost website is the best ... written by a teacher at a top school: https://www.drfrostmaths.com/sow.php?year=A%20Level%202017&term=Main
Some people are saying how I should just do past papers and avoid doing anything in the textbook as the questions are too easy apparently? Are the questions in the text book worth it???
Original post by beachpanda
Are you learning AS / A-Level all in one year?

Yh
Some people are saying how I should just do past papers and avoid doing anything in the textbook as the questions are too easy apparently? Are the questions in the text book worth it???

I'd disagree. Build up from the basic questions, don't neglect anything. But the more you keep the content fresh, the less you'll need to go back and do the easy questions.

Yh

I'd set a deadline for yourself to finish year 1 by, then hit AS papers until you're getting >90% if you're aiming for A*.

I self-studied and finished it by about January 2020 from October so took about 3 months, but if you're doing it every day may be able to do it quicker than I did! Year 2 does have a lot more things to get your head round imho. Again I think the key is getting used to exam questions early on rather than leaving them until exam-time.
Original post by beachpanda
I'd disagree. Build up from the basic questions, don't neglect anything. But the more you keep the content fresh, the less you'll need to go back and do the easy questions.

I'd set a deadline for yourself to finish year 1 by, then hit AS papers until you're getting >90% if you're aiming for A*.

I self-studied and finished it by about January 2020 from October so took about 3 months, but if you're doing it every day may be able to do it quicker than I did! Year 2 does have a lot more things to get your head round imho. Again I think the key is getting used to exam questions early on rather than leaving them until exam-time.

Did you finish AS by January? Wow well done :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest