lasmao
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
I want to be a doctor one day and my main A levels I'm applying for are chemistry, biology and psychology however I do want to take a fourth and I'm leaning towards history since business is apparently seen as a "soft" subject. Is this the right decision for medicine?
Rxwa
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by lasmao)
I want to be a doctor one day and my main A levels I'm applying for are chemistry, biology and psychology however I do want to take a fourth and I'm leaning towards history since business is apparently seen as a "soft" subject. Is this the right decision for medicine?
Hi,

It's up to you what you want to take for your fourth subject but just to let you know that 3 A level subjects are heavy in terms of content and so you need to ask yourself if you will be able to handle a fourth subject. I took A level biology, Maths, chemistry and psychology and it was difficult balancing between the sciences and an essay based subject like psychology where it was crucial for me to memorise all experiments + psychologists. However, it is manageable, if you do plan well ahead each day of what you're going to revise content wise and doing exam papers. Right now, I'm a first year medical student, so the hard work was worth it at the end. If you need any advice on anything, I'm here for you. Best of luck!
Rxwa
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Hi,

It's up to you what you want to take for your fourth subject but just to let you know that 3 A level subjects are heavy in terms of content and so you need to ask yourself if you will be able to handle a fourth subject. I took A level biology, Maths, chemistry and psychology and it was difficult balancing between the sciences and an essay based subject like psychology where it was crucial for me to memorise all the experiments + psychologists. However, it is manageable, if you do plan well ahead each day of what you're going to revise content wise and doing exam papers. Right now, I'm a first year medical student, so the hard work was worth it at the end. If you need any advice on anything, I'm here for you. Best of luck!
Rxwa
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Hi,

It's up to you what you want to take for your fourth subject but just to let you know that 3 A level subjects are heavy in terms of content and so you need to ask yourself if you will be able to handle a fourth subject. I took A level biology, Maths, chemistry and psychology and it was difficult balancing between the sciences and an essay based subject like psychology where it was crucial for me to memorise all the experiments + psychologists. However, it is manageable, if you do plan well ahead each day of what you're going to revise content wise and doing exam papers. Right now, I'm a first year medical student, so the hard work was worth it at the end. If you need any advice on anything, I'm here for you. Best of luck!
lasmao
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
(Original post by Rxwa)
Hi,

It's up to you what you want to take for your fourth subject but just to let you know that 3 A level subjects are heavy in terms of content and so you need to ask yourself if you will be able to handle a fourth subject. I took A level biology, Maths, chemistry and psychology and it was difficult balancing between the sciences and an essay based subject like psychology where it was crucial for me to memorise all experiments + psychologists. However, it is manageable, if you do plan well ahead each day of what you're going to revise content wise and doing exam papers. Right now, I'm a first year medical student, so the hard work was worth it at the end. If you need any advice on anything, I'm here for you. Best of luck!
Thank you so much for the advice! Just one question - how difficult did you find chemistry and biology as I'm rather worried that I simply won't be able to keep up with everything.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 11 months ago
Not soft.
Just get the grades.
Choose the one with most interest and you can get the best grade with least effort. History has large volume, which is ok if it interests you but v boring if not. You still only need 3.

Do 4 if you have to or you are very much in control or you are unsure and you will drop one.
Rxwa
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Thank you so much for the advice! Just one question - how difficult did you find chemistry and biology as I'm rather worried that I simply won't be able to keep up with everything.
I found chemistry a lot easier than biology only because biology required a lot of memorisation of long biological processes + structures. Biology really goes in depth of what you will study and is a huge step up from GCSE biology. However, I managed to keep up with both subjects regardless. Please do EXAM PAPERS. They really helped strengthen what I already knew in biology and chemistry and makes you actively recall all the info.
OCorOOC6337
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
With it being a fourth A-Level, rather than one of your main subjects, that shouldn't necessarily matter. I'd say business on the basis that the volume of knowledge is likely lower, but definitely choose that which you're more interested in or that will suit you better. Oh, and make sure to check that you'll be able to take those combinations in regards to timetabling too!

Edit: another point is that History has coursework and, to my somewhat limited knowledge, business doesn't, which is another factor to consider - it takes the pressure off somewhat with exams but is a rather involved process whilst having to do it.
Last edited by OCorOOC6337; 11 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (9)
12.68%
I need help researching courses (5)
7.04%
I need help with filling out the application form (4)
5.63%
I need help with my personal statement (30)
42.25%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (18)
25.35%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
2.82%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (3)
4.23%

Watched Threads