Uken18
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a laptop that will be good enough for a computer science course and possibly affordable at the same time. I would prefer not to exceed £500 if that's doable. I'm not gonna use it for games and stuff, just online learning and programming. Are there any OK models within my range or should I pay more and treat it as a good investment?

Thanks
username5383500
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Not wanting to exceed £500 is a little awkward, as typically the £500-600 range is exactly where the best value laptops sit. Unfortunately pricing and availability are all over the place, but at this price range you can get a solid laptop with basically no compromises. Going for sub £500 laptops you often have to compromise something, and often that's the CPU, RAM and/or storage.

If your budget allows, I would absolutely spend a little more and get something decent. This Dell Inspiron is a laptop I typically recommend as a solid all rounder. It's £600, although this drops down to £570 with student discount. However Dell are currently offering a sale for 3 more days, and with the code FLASH12 which you can see on the product page the price will drop to £528. This is a really good price, with similar laptops coming in around £530-550 and if I were looking for a laptop now I'd be jumping on this.

100% I'd spend just a little more and treat it as a solid investment. Spending a little more upfront and taking care of the laptop will inevitably save you money down the line.
shortgirl96
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hello

Go to a local computer store downtown. Ask good questions and make notes too. Re evaluate your budget too. Ask the store staff for some useful tips and advice. Do spend a bit more cash now it will pay off dividends in the long term. Make brief notes on each computer model as well. Read the entire specification. Check out the website as well. Look at pictures of each computer.
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
IMHO refurbished business class laptop e.g. Lenovo X or T series with i5 cpu 8gb and an ssd. Get it from a reputable refurb company and you can have a guarantee with that and they'll probably upgrade to 8gb & ssd if required for £ sensible.

That'll be suitable for your purposes, very durable and have a nice keyboard... And you'll have change from your budget.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (67)
27.57%
No - I have already returned home (26)
10.7%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (51)
20.99%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (24)
9.88%
No - I live at home during term anyway (75)
30.86%

Watched Threads