*MEGATHREAD* Medicine 2021 Interviews discussion

Watch
This discussion is closed.
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
All discussed interview Qs so far: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/att...2&d=1609884474
Thanks becausethenight

Discussion for generic interview tips and questions. For specific medical schools, go to https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6410398

Do not discuss specific questions, tests, or any other details regarding interviews or MMIs. (1) It is against TSR rules and most likely the med schools' rules, and (2) it is in your advantage not to share, because you will be giving your "competitors" an advantage.

Please quote me if you wanted any advice. I will periodically pop in to give helpful tips and general feedback as the interview cycle goes on.

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for or post group chat links.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck!
Last edited by ecolier; 8 months ago
A_J_B
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hi everyone,

I know interviews can be stressful, I have been through 2 cycles of them (while applying for the first time and reapplying the second time), so I think I have a decent understanding of how they work. In total I have been through 6 medicine interviews in the UK, wasn't able to get offers the first time around but could thankfully get all 4 offers the second time round.

If I had to give very general advice, I would narrow it down to these 3:
1. Be confident (this is extremely important...if you are not confident of yourself, why should the med school be confident in you?)
2. Do NOT memorize scripted answers (Did this when applying for the first time and got nowhere. Just make rough bullet points which you will address in your answer)
3. Be humble (People often overlook this in the effort of being confident, but knowing what you don't know and openly admitting that is a sign of a good doctor)

Good luck and feel free to ask me any questions
slothz
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by A_J_B)
Hi everyone,

I know interviews can be stressful, I have been through 2 cycles of them (while applying for the first time and reapplying the second time), so I think I have a decent understanding of how they work. In total I have been through 6 medicine interviews in the UK, wasn't able to get offers the first time around but could thankfully get all 4 offers the second time round.

1. Be confident (this is extremely important...if you are not confident of yourself, why should the med school be confident in you?)
2. Do NOT memorize scripted answers (Did this when applying for the first time and got nowhere. Just make rough bullet points which you will address in your answer)
3. Be humble (People often overlook this in the effort of being confident, but knowing what you don't know and openly admitting that is a sign of a good doctor)

In certain stations for a MMI when it’s a logic sort of question, how would you approach this. I have seen that you should speak through your mind process but how?
A_J_B
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by slothz)
In certain stations for a MMI when it’s a logic sort of question, how would you approach this. I have seen that you should speak through your mind process but how?
Take a few seconds' pause and then start working it out in your mind, let them know what you are thinking.
Even if you don't get it right, they want to see how you are communicating and your thought process. Just like how you would show your steps while working out an A level Math problem
oracle87
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by A_J_B)
Hi everyone,

How can we prepare for it? What resources would you recommend?
ecolier
Rep:
?
(Original post by A_J_B)
Hi everyone,

:lol: Thanks for taking over this thread.

My advice is answer the question, do not waffle or answer something you wanted to be asked. e.g. If you were asked "what's your weakness" do not spin it round and start saying your strengths.

If anyone wants to ask me any Q from an interviewer's perspective (and obviously I also personally went through the interviews) then tag me ecolier .

(Original post by oracle87)
How can we prepare for it? What resources would you recommend?
The best preparation is practice.

Find someone, anyone - better if it's someone that you don't know very well (e.g. teachers of subjects you don't study).

Arguably it's easier in this environment where everything is remote - schedule a video call with someone and get them to grill you. It'll be strange and you may not do well at first, but with time you'll get better.

Go to the Medic Portal for example Qs and suggested ways of tackling them. I can say that a few of those Qs have come up in real interviews before. https://www.themedicportal.com/e-learning/interview/
Last edited by ecolier; 10 months ago
username3300916
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Anyone used the free MSAG interview course and is the BSMS virtual work experience good too?
ecolier
Rep:
?
(Original post by Uzair63)
Anyone used the free MSAG interview course and is the BSMS virtual work experience good too?
Nope, but if it's free what's the harm... just make sure it's not just a glorified advert for their other products though.

I heard that the BSMS work experience is good. Surely you'd do it since the only thing you'd lose is a few hours' time!
kittykatlover
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hi, I believe there are plenty of Medicine Interview courses/Resources on the market but I'm not entirely sure which ones are worth it (as they can be quite costly).

If any of you guys have attended these courses please let me know how they are and maybe give a rating out of ten.

If you have booked yourself in, please tell me why you decided on that particular course. This will help me decide if I should invest in the course.

If there are any other resources that you know of e.g Interview notes that can be bought, free resources (particular youtube videos) etc. Please do let me know of these too.

Also to mention I have been looking at the Medic Portal course!

Thank you for your help,

Kittykatlover
ecolier
Rep:
?
(Original post by kittykatlover)
Hi, I believe there are plenty of Medicine Interview courses/Resources on the market but I'm not entirely sure which ones are worth it (as they can be quite costly).

If any of you guys have attended these courses please let me know how they are and maybe give a rating out of ten.

If you have booked yourself in, please tell me why you decided on that particular course. This will help me decide if I should invest in the course.

If there are any other resources that you know of e.g Interview notes that can be bought, free resources (particular youtube videos) etc. Please do let me know of these too.

Thank you for your help,

Kittykatlover
Please post in this dedicated thread for Medicine interview queries.

I would also recommend browsing through last year's interview thread for hints and tips: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6182960
username3300916
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago

Thank you for your help,

Kittykatlover
I’m just using the following three resources

MSAG free interview course
BSMS work experience
Medic hut interview course ( I was given it for free as I assisted with their UCAT resources)

The MSAG was recommended to me by a friend,
The BSMS is apparently really good according to TSR

I normally wouldn’t have opted for an interview course as you can still manage without. I’d just advise don’t spend £100 on a course. There’s a lot of free ones out there especially if you live locally to a medical school
Last edited by username3300916; 10 months ago
kittykatlover
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by ecolier)
Please post in this dedicated thread for Medicine interview queries.

I would also recommend browsing through last year's interview thread for hints and tips: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6182960
I'm sorry I'm quite new to posting and I'm not sure how to do so.
ecolier
Rep:
?
I'm sorry I'm quite new to posting and I'm not sure how to do so.
Don't worry about it, you're in the right place now

Welcome to :tsr2:
username3300916
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
There’s a bunch of free interview courses on Eventbrite for MMI interviews, I’ve just signed up to 3, since their online I don’t think location should matter.
I’d recommend having a look
Medkid100
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Observe gp is quite popular as it captures the patient - doctor relationship and gives you an understanding of the importance of things such as communication in those interactions
Ensoetre
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Anyone have any suggestions for good medical articles?
ecolier
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ensoetre)
Anyone have any suggestions for good medical articles?
Medical articles regarding what topic?

I think keeping yourself up to date with health news will be good enough, you don't really need to know the latest breakthrough of a Phase III trial results of a yet-to-be licensed drug, for example.

So go to BBC news and start reading the Health section; or any reputable news agency's Health section (so, not the Daily Mail or the Sun).
hussam.1
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Do you need to practise your science knowledge?
Ensoetre
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by ecolier)
Medical articles regarding what topic?

I think keeping yourself up to date with health news will be good enough, you don't really need to know the latest breakthrough of a Phase III trial results of a yet-to-be licensed drug, for example.

So go to BBC news and start reading the Health section; or any reputable news agency's Health section (so, not the Daily Mail or the Sun).
Ohhh okay thank you I’ll have a look 😂 I’m scared they’ll ask about something recent that I’ve read regarding medicine & I’ll have idea what to say
ecolier
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ensoetre)
Ohhh okay thank you I’ll have a look 😂 I’m scared they’ll ask about something recent that I’ve read regarding medicine & I’ll have idea what to say
Yes, definitely read the Health news so you can talk about that.

Remember many med schools' will use non-medical interviewers (alongside a doctor) so going too technical isn't ideal either!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think mandatory Relationships and Sex Education in secondary schools is a good idea?

Yes (299)
84.23%
No (56)
15.77%

Watched Threads