S.dsh12
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
do I follow the 4,000 character rule or 500 words rule? as my personal statement is 6 63 words but in characters its 3,774. on the UCAS personal statement box, it states 4,000 but everyone keeps saying it should be 500 words max.
Aminah T
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Follow the 4,000 character rule
LauraSSx
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The golden rule (from UCAS themselves) is that it can contain 4,000 characters or 47 lines (including tabs and paragraph spacing) and it’s whichever comes first. I personally would not use a word document to determine exactly how many characters or lines you have as they don’t take into considering tabs and paragraphs.. Once you’ve started your application you can paste your statement into the UCAS personal statement box (it doesn’t save it as a final piece) and it will tell you exactly how many characters/lines it is and this is how you should do it. If it goes over the limit, your writing will get cut off so definitely stay under it.

I hope this helps!

Here is a link on how to write your personal statement if you haven’t seen it already, good luck. https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/a...onal-statement
Last edited by LauraSSx; 1 month ago
AfricanDream
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by S.dsh12)
do I follow the 4,000 character rule or 500 words rule? as my personal statement is 6 63 words but in characters its 3,774. on the UCAS personal statement box, it states 4,000 but everyone keeps saying it should be 500 words max.
There isn't a word count limit, the only limits are 4000 characters and it can't exceed 47 lines in UCAS format. You'll find people might say 500 words as depending on the words you use (how long they are) that might be a general idea of what a personal statement could be. Don't worry about word count as long as your PS doesn't exceed 4000 characters and 47 lines. Have you inputted your PS in UCAS or a word processor to check if it meets criteria? Definitely do this as if you leave lines between paragraphs, each empty line counts as 2 characters as well as a line as far as I remember also word or Google docs don't really format lines the same as UCAS so you can't accurately tell how many lines you use.

I found studential to be very accurate with how UCAS format, I used it for my Medicine PS last year which ended up being 47 lines and 3999 characters.

https://www.studential.com/applying/...length-checker
Last edited by AfricanDream; 1 month ago
LauraSSx
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Now that you mention it, I also used studential too and agree with it being the same as UCAS count
S.dsh12
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (94)
28.31%
No - I have already returned home (44)
13.25%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (62)
18.67%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (33)
9.94%
No - I live at home during term anyway (99)
29.82%

Watched Threads