What should I do my masters in - public health or drug discovery?

Watch
bioenthusiast
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
So I'm in my final year of a biomedical degree, and am thinking about my next steps. I think I want to do a masters, but I am genuinely torn between two options.

One that appeals to me is a Masters in Public Health. I actually do enjoy looking at trends in health etc as well as interventions, and whilst the degree wouldn't be as 'hardcore scientific' like biomed, it is definitely something I am looking into. Only thing with this is job prospects - are they good? I am aware PHE (Public Health England) has been scrapped somewhat by the government and merged, will this still allow opportunities in that field? And what other roles are there in public health that aren't necessarily at a governmental level like PHE? I guess with the current pandemic, public health is something that is very big right now.

Another course I am strongly considering is drug discovery/pharmacology. I have really enjoyed my pharmacology modules during my undergrad, and I find the whole field so interesting and exciting. It excites me to think of a career looking at the development of new drugs. But again what are the job prospects like with this?

I genuinely can't decide, so I'd be grateful if people who have studied - or have a career - in both of these fields could give me some advice on what it's like to study and work in public health and/or drug discovery!
UniversityOfSunderland
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by bioenthusiast)
So I'm in my final year of a biomedical degree, and am thinking about my next steps. I think I want to do a masters, but I am genuinely torn between two options.

One that appeals to me is a Masters in Public Health. I actually do enjoy looking at trends in health etc as well as interventions, and whilst the degree wouldn't be as 'hardcore scientific' like biomed, it is definitely something I am looking into. Only thing with this is job prospects - are they good? I am aware PHE (Public Health England) has been scrapped somewhat by the government and merged, will this still allow opportunities in that field? And what other roles are there in public health that aren't necessarily at a governmental level like PHE? I guess with the current pandemic, public health is something that is very big right now.

Another course I am strongly considering is drug discovery/pharmacology. I have really enjoyed my pharmacology modules during my undergrad, and I find the whole field so interesting and exciting. It excites me to think of a career looking at the development of new drugs. But again what are the job prospects like with this?

I genuinely can't decide, so I'd be grateful if people who have studied - or have a career - in both of these fields could give me some advice on what it's like to study and work in public health and/or drug discovery!
Hi bioenthusiast

Public Health professionals work in a range of community health areas such as primary health care teams, public health units, drug and alcohol settings, and health and social care settings. There are also opportunities in epidemiology, biostatistics, environmental health, health administration, health education and health policy.

Potential roles include becoming a manager in the NHS, local authorities and non-statutory sectors. For example, at the top end of the scale, there are roles as Director of Public Health that attract salaries of up to around £100,000. There are also many other opportunities as a public health professional.

Job prospects in Public Health

With regards to Drug Discovery, Graduates from this course can pursue a variety of careers in the following areas: Drug Design, Pharmaceutical Analysis and Research, Pre-clinical Research in Experimental and Biological Studies, Formulation and Product Development, Pharmacogenomics and Proteomics, Clinical Research, Product Registration, Licensing and Regulatory Affairs.

Our advice would be to attend online open days for your university choices, these will allow you to speak directly with support staff academics and current students to get a better feel for the course, what it entails and what it can offer you as both a student and graduate.
Ultimately it comes down to which area you are most passionate about but it doesn't hurt to get as much information before making your decision as possible. Also, look into whether your university choices offer online virtual tours or anything that can help you get a feel for the university and life as a student there. It's important that you like where you study and that other factors such as support and finance/funding are taken into account too.

Good luck with your decision, both course options are very exciting and can lead to great careers
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (22)
6.21%
Uncertainty around my education (38)
10.73%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (41)
11.58%
Lack of purpose or motivation (48)
13.56%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (18)
5.08%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (16)
4.52%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (37)
10.45%
Financial worries (25)
7.06%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (15)
4.24%
Exposure to negative news/social media (22)
6.21%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (10)
2.82%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (36)
10.17%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (26)
7.34%

Watched Threads