B.Davies 99
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
So im in Yr 11 rn and I am thinking about what i should do in college. I want to go to Uni to do a Mental health nursing course. I am thinking of doing L3 Health and Social care BTEC as because of my grades in maths it will be more achievable. (im in set 1 but i am rubbish). But i also have an interest in Religious studies . I want to do a little bit more on it so i am thinking of taking A level RS along with L3 H and SC. But the RS has nothing to do with getting to uni i just would like to do more.

do you think its ok or am i wasting my time?
University of South Wales
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hi there

There are no specific A level or H&SC entry requirements for mental health nursing. L3 H&SC is a really good course choice as you have one day a week out in placement, which will be really helpful to include in your personal statement. I would suggest you take the A levels or BTEC courses you are best at, and enjoy and are likely to do well in at college. Our university offers mental health nursing with the Welsh NHS funding via a bursary where your fees are paid for you and some maintenance costs are provided. It is great you are thinking about your future in Yr 11. For nursing, try and get as much experience as you can by having a part time job, or undertaking relevant experiences where you can showcase your skills and qualities needed to be accepted onto such a course. Our course details are here for information - good luck message me if you want any further details Rebecca https://www.southwales.ac.uk/courses...mental-health/
Last edited by University of South Wales; 10 months ago
B.Davies 99
Rep:
?
(Original post by University of South Wales)
Hi there

There are no specific A level or H&SC entry requirements for mental health nursing. L3 H&SC is a really good course choice as you have one day a week out in placement, which will be really helpful to include in your personal statement. I would suggest you take the A levels or BTEC courses you are best at, and enjoy and are likely to do well in at college. Our university offers mental health nursing with the Welsh NHS funding via a bursary where your fees are paid for you and some maintenance costs are provided. It is great you are thinking about your future in Yr 11. For nursing, try and get as much experience as you can by having a part time job, or undertaking relevant experiences where you can showcase your skills and qualities needed to be accepted onto such a course. Our course details are here for information - good luck message me if you want any further details Rebecca https://www.southwales.ac.uk/courses...mental-health/
Yes I have found there is no specific subjects which i find quite nice as you can choose subjects that kind of link in with the course but is alos somthing you like. With the work experience i have two problems, one is of course corona virus and potentially another lockdown. second is that i live in a very rural area (Pembrokeshire) and there isnt many jobs i can find to do with Health care and for my age let alone any job for that matter.

Thankyou for replying.
Emily_B
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by B.Davies 99)
Yes I have found there is no specific subjects which i find quite nice as you can choose subjects that kind of link in with the course but is alos somthing you like. With the work experience i have two problems, one is of course corona virus and potentially another lockdown. second is that i live in a very rural area (Pembrokeshire) and there isnt many jobs i can find to do with Health care and for my age let alone any job for that matter.

Thankyou for replying.
Healthcare experience is very useful for courses like nursing, but not mandatory. Any job you can get would be useful - even if it's just shop work. (I understand it's difficult right now, bit if you can get some weekend shop work it's great for showing timekeeping, dedication, communication and teamwork... all which you can relate to nursing!) The other thing I'd suggest is potentially doing a gap year after a levels and getting some work in the healthcare setting, although this would mean getting applying before A level exams (if they're going ahead!!)- but this is something for you to think about whether you want to do or not.
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago

Thankyou for replying.
Hi, I wouldn't worry about the work experience element. All students are in the same boat so to speak and have been unable to secure relevant work experience in a social care setting. For nursing although this is desirable, it is definitely not essential. Think about what other experiences you have had in the past. Do you have a part-time job for example? Can you do some research on what is going on in the world of mental health nursing at this time? Look at the NMC code of conduct to see which skills you need to be a good nurse. Also look at any MOOC or TED talks that may be of interest. We have a virtual online event on Wednesday for nursing, let me know if you would like me to send you the link. Here is the link to our mental health nursing course in case you've not seen it. https://www.southwales.ac.uk/courses...mental-health/ Good luck Rebecca
B.Davies 99
Rep:
?
(Original post by University of South Wales)
Hi, I wouldn't worry about the work experience element. All students are in the same boat so to speak and have been unable to secure relevant work experience in a social care setting. For nursing although this is desirable, it is definitely not essential. Think about what other experiences you have had in the past. Do you have a part-time job for example? Can you do some research on what is going on in the world of mental health nursing at this time? Look at the NMC code of conduct to see which skills you need to be a good nurse. Also look at any MOOC or TED talks that may be of interest. We have a virtual online event on Wednesday for nursing, let me know if you would like me to send you the link. Here is the link to our mental health nursing course in case you've not seen it. https://www.southwales.ac.uk/courses...mental-health/ Good luck Rebecca
I never thought about TED talks for MH nursing even though ive watched so many. I think ill go look now. Thankyou for repllying again.
B.Davies 99
Rep:
?
(Original post by Emily_B)
Healthcare experience is very useful for courses like nursing, but not mandatory. Any job you can get would be useful - even if it's just shop work. (I understand it's difficult right now, bit if you can get some weekend shop work it's great for showing timekeeping, dedication, communication and teamwork... all which you can relate to nursing!) The other thing I'd suggest is potentially doing a gap year after a levels and getting some work in the healthcare setting, although this would mean getting applying before A level exams (if they're going ahead!!)- but this is something for you to think about whether you want to do or not.
I think I could find some work around where I live , if all the shops don't shut down. I do occasionally go to Saddle club and there is some teamwork there between people as well as the Horses so I think that links in too. when I had no clue of what I wanted to do I was keen on a gap year, however ever since I knew what I wanted to be I am so eager to get straight into it. I think i'll give it some thought when that time comes.
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I think I could find some work around where I live , if all the shops don't shut down. I do occasionally go to Saddle club and there is some teamwork there between people as well as the Horses so I think that links in too. when I had no clue of what I wanted to do I was keen on a gap year, however ever since I knew what I wanted to be I am so eager to get straight into it. I think i'll give it some thought when that time comes.
You definitely have time to get some relevant experience, and keep researching! Good luck to you Rebecca
B.Davies 99
Rep:
?
thankyou!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (5)
4.9%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (16)
15.69%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (19)
18.63%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (11)
10.78%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (33)
32.35%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (18)
17.65%

Watched Threads