struggling to choose what device to get for university

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Currently, I am using a Lenovo laptop that is 5 years old and needs replacing.

I am doing a business with marketing course so I would be using Word, PowerPoint and possibly excel as well as zoom and Microsoft teams.

I am looking to get a new device for university to do assignments and accessing zoom. But I am struggling on which device to get. Currently, I am thinking about an iPad (possibly iPad pro-2018) however, there a different options like the Microsoft surface pro and surface laptop which appeal to me as well but the Apple ecosystem is a pull factor. I wouldn't get a MacBook as I don't think they are worth the price you pay.

for example, with the iPad, I can use my AirPods pro and get spatial audio with for watching movies etc. But, I don't know if the iPad Pro will be a good purchase. However, the magic keyboard is £350.

On the other hand, I know Microsoft products are much better for multitasking etc. and this may be better for zoom when being in a call and needing to take notes but atm I am taking notes via pen and paper.

anyone help me make a decision, please??
Shek2003
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Currently, I am using a Lenovo laptop that is 5 years old and needs replacing.

I am doing a business with marketing course so I would be using Word, PowerPoint and possibly excel as well as zoom and Microsoft teams.

I am looking to get a new device for university to do assignments and accessing zoom. But I am struggling on which device to get. Currently, I am thinking about an iPad (possibly iPad pro-2018) however, there a different options like the Microsoft surface pro and surface laptop which appeal to me as well but the Apple ecosystem is a pull factor. I wouldn't get a MacBook as I don't think they are worth the price you pay.

for example, with the iPad, I can use my AirPods pro and get spatial audio with for watching movies etc. But, I don't know if the iPad Pro will be a good purchase. However, the magic keyboard is £350.

On the other hand, I know Microsoft products are much better for multitasking etc. and this may be better for zoom when being in a call and needing to take notes but atm I am taking notes via pen and paper.

anyone help me make a decision, please??
Don't know how helpful this seems to you but why don't you consider buying a standard hp notebook laptop, I have been using one for a while and its reliable, they work well with word powerpoint etc due to the compatibility with hp windows. Especially as they don't have the bulky size like a PC.
username5383500
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Generally I say steer clear of iPads as a primary device, with poor multitasking being one of those reasons. The small screen isn't helpful either, and you're entirely limited to apps rather than full software. It's really a very expensive way to replace pen and paper. They're fine as supplementary devices, but most people would prefer a proper laptop for uni.

As for as laptops go, around £500-600 is the price point for a decent laptop. Considering a magic keyboard alone (so no device) is £350, a laptop will also be significantly cheaper. My current recommendation is this Dell Inspiron, which drops down to £530 with the discount code on their site.

If you really wanted a premium device there are options. However your post is a little confusing as you think a MacBook would be too expensive, yet a similar spec Surface Pro or Laptop isn't going to be significantly different in price. An entry level MacBook pro is £1299, and the similar spec Surface Laptop is £1269. The Surface Pro isn't much better at £1169 but that's without accessories. So it's a little unclear what price point you're looking at, and what you'd consider to be "worth it".
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
See if your local computer shop can help
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (48)
13.64%
Virtual campus tours/open days (79)
22.44%
Live streaming events (33)
9.38%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (36)
10.23%
A uni comparison tool (80)
22.73%
An in-person event when available (76)
21.59%