HBSic58
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi, thinking about Motorsport degree at Oxford Brookes. I read the engineering is moving to Headington sometime in 2022 but for now it is at Wheatley. Do most engineering students get allocated accommodation at Wheatley? It's putting me off a bit at the thought of being at Wheatley for the degree and accommodation. Not read great things about the halls at Wheatley. Anyone any experience please? Thanks.
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by HBSic58)
Hi, thinking about Motorsport degree at Oxford Brookes. I read the engineering is moving to Headington sometime in 2022 but for now it is at Wheatley. Do most engineering students get allocated accommodation at Wheatley? It's putting me off a bit at the thought of being at Wheatley for the degree and accommodation. Not read great things about the halls at Wheatley. Anyone any experience please? Thanks.
What worries you? They are catered but cheaper than some on the non-catered. The setting is fine and you get a bus pass - ASDA just down the road and bus stop on campus.

The rooms are OK - you'll only be there for a year at most. It is the best Motorsport degree out there ...
HBSic58
Rep:
?
(Original post by Muttley79)
What worries you? They are catered but cheaper than some on the non-catered. The setting is fine and you get a bus pass - ASDA just down the road and bus stop on campus.

The rooms are OK - you'll only be there for a year at most. It is the best Motorsport degree out there ...
Thanks for your reply. Yes it is only a year but I just keep reading awful comments and reviews about life at Wheatley and whilst the degree course is the most important thing, I do also want to have a good experience at uni life too.
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Thanks for your reply. Yes it is only a year but I just keep reading awful comments and reviews about life at Wheatley and whilst the degree course is the most important thing, I do also want to have a good experience at uni life too.
I know students who went there/are there now - what have you read as they had a great time

One or two stayed in these halls for their whole degree
HBSic58
Rep:
?
(Original post by Muttley79)
I know students who went there/are there now - what have you read as they had a great time

One or two stayed in these halls for their whole degree
Well that's good to hear thanks. It is difficult because as prospective students we cannot do visits at the moment. Perhaps students are more likely to post if they've had a negative experience than a positive one. I do want the best degree course for the degree I am interested in but going to uni isn't cheap so I am trying to ensure I do all the right research beforehand.
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Well that's good to hear thanks. It is difficult because as prospective students we cannot do visits at the moment. Perhaps students are more likely to post if they've had a negative experience than a positive one. I do want the best degree course for the degree I am interested in but going to uni isn't cheap so I am trying to ensure I do all the right research beforehand.
Yes you are right that negative comments are more likely to be posted and who know if they are even genuine?

https://www.brookes.ac.uk/studying-at-brookes/

Have you booked for a virtual Open Day?

If you have specific questions do PM me
Oxford Brookes University
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hi HBSic58,

Hope you are well,

I am a Sociology third-year student at Oxford Brookes University. I am based in Headington Campus, however, to help I can recommend that a virtual campus tour at Oxford Brookes might help you have a better insight into our accommodation that Oxford Brookes offers, especially in Wheatley. Here is the link: https://www.brookes.ac.uk/virtual-tour/

Also, if you wanted to ask questions to an actual student who studies your degree or studies at Wheatley campus, for example, students who study computer science. The platform Unibuddy is where you can chat with a Student Ambassadors and they will give you some advice into your course and accommodation advice too! I'll leave the link here for you: https://www.brookes.ac.uk/studying-a...nt-ambassador/

I hope this helps! If you do have any questions or queries, please feel free to ask at any time.

All the best,

Rade
Geo55
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
https://www.studentcrowd.com/hall-l1...versity-oxford
matt waring
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hoping to do eng/auto design as well. I've been told by the uni Wheatley accomm will be closed at the end of this 20/21 year and there won't be any accomm over at Wheatley for Sept 21. I'm not fussed about the acomm itself but a bit worried about ending up in flats/halls with students on completely different courses/interests. I'm sure I'll get on with whoever but would be good to be in halls where pretty sure there'll be a decent number of engineering students to chat car and bike stuff with!
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by matt waring)
Hoping to do eng/auto design as well. I've been told by the uni Wheatley accomm will be closed at the end of this 20/21 year and there won't be any accomm over at Wheatley for Sept 21. I'm not fussed about the acomm itself but a bit worried about ending up in flats/halls with students on completely different courses/interests. I'm sure I'll get on with whoever but would be good to be in halls where pretty sure there'll be a decent number of engineering students to chat car and bike stuff with!
Hello matt waring,

Hope you are doing well!! We are excited to hear that you are planning on joining us at Oxford Brookes.

From my personal experience I don't think it matters too much what course people are doing, you are bound to find people from different courses but similar interests. You will also be able to get to know people from your course as well as those who are not, it is all a part of the university experience. Also if you do find that there is a specific interest that you have and you would like to meet people with that same interest, I would recommend joining societies as being a good way to do so. You could always apply to start your own society as well, if you find that there is one you would like to be apart of but it is not currently available.

So please do not worry, I am sure that everything will work out! If you have any questions about student life or the University, please do feel free to ask. I would be more than happy to help.

All the best,

Shaf
amirpenkar
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey I have similar concerns over the accommodation and through my research Parade Green seems to be the best halls for me. I've applied for 2021 Motorsport Engineering degree and yes I've seen those comments too! It's either between here and Hertfordshire which is a 5 min drive from me and they do also offer a motorsport engineering degree. What I really want to know is that what advantages does OB have over Herts because I'm completely torn and I love the area where Herts is (biased yes because I live there)

Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by amirpenkar)
Hey I have similar concerns over the accommodation and through my research Parade Green seems to be the best halls for me. I've applied for 2021 Motorsport Engineering degree and yes I've seen those comments too! It's either between here and Hertfordshire which is a 5 min drive from me and they do also offer a motorsport engineering degree. What I really want to know is that what advantages does OB have over Herts because I'm completely torn and I love the area where Herts is (biased yes because I live there)
Hello amirpenkar,

Hope you are doing well!!

I would recommend to you, the 'Chat to a Student Ambassador' service that can be found at the following link: https://www.brookes.ac.uk/studying-a...nt-ambassador/ On there you will be able to talk to current students who attend Oxford Brookes, gaining their insight into their time at the University. You will be able to find Engineering students on there as well, who can then give you more of an idea about what the course at Brookes involves. You can also discuss with them their experiences with student accommodation, if that is something that you are currently worried about.

I hope this will be of use to you. If you have any specific questions about student life or the University, please do feel free to ask. We would be more than happy to help!

All the best,

Shaf
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (219)
55.87%
I don't have everything I need (173)
44.13%

Watched Threads