username5432078
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Considering LSE high competition for undergraduate places, I believe LSE will require those applying for Bsc Data Science to fill in the usual Maths questionnaire. Does the questionnaire also ask for the UMS of other subjects?

I am overall an A student (also taking Further Maths) with predicted grades of A*A*AA, and Data Science course requirement is AAA (A in Mathematics)

In any case, could anyone advice me on my chances if I get the high 90s to 100 for P1 P2 P3 S1, but get a 75 UMS for M1? I would say my personal statement as relatively okay. It would be great if someone could help or give some advice
Last edited by username5432078; 1 month ago
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I doubt they ask for UMS because the vast majority of Students in England won't have taken AS before applying and English AS and A levels don't have UMS.
sarahyee
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Due to some account errors, I had to recreate my account - I am the original thread owner! I read online that before we get our offer letter (probably in January and February) we will be asked to fill in a questionnaire? Is this true? I think I might have gotten a C for M1 (due to the bad learning experience in covid) and I'm not sure if I have a chance at LSE even if my other math modules are good.
Sarvienn
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey! Soo, if you're applying to LSE for Data Science, might I ask where else you're looking to apply? Since there are very few other universities offering Data Science and therefore it's important that your personal statement has a strong focus on data science. Secondly, as @compost mentioned, UK students will not have undertaken AS Examinations. Therefore, they will not really base anything off of the UMS scores at this point. However, please pay attention to part 1, of my answer and if you're really applying because the course is new so for less competition but with a statement directed at another subject they'd sniff it out.

All the best!
sarahyee
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Sarvienn)
Hey! Soo, if you're applying to LSE for Data Science, might I ask where else you're looking to apply? Since there are very few other universities offering Data Science and therefore it's important that your personal statement has a strong focus on data science. Secondly, as @compost mentioned, UK students will not have undertaken AS Examinations. Therefore, they will not really base anything off of the UMS scores at this point. However, please pay attention to part 1, of my answer and if you're really applying because the course is new so for less competition but with a statement directed at another subject they'd sniff it out.

All the best!
Hello! Thanks for your reply. I will be applying for Bsc Data Science at Warwick, LSE, Exeter, Bath and Maths and stats science for UCL. My PS will be directed at only Data Science. Do you think I stand a chance? As I'm an international student, LSE has asked my seniors to submit their UMS marks in January when applications close. (This is because we take a modular system). I had a very bad day for M1 and I think I might get a B or C. But I think All my pure papers can attain 100 UMS, along with S1 at 95 UMS and above. My IGCSEs are 9 A*s and 1A.
Last edited by sarahyee; 1 month ago
Sarvienn
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by sarahyee)
Hello! Thanks for your reply. I will be applying for Bsc Data Science at Warwick, LSE, Exeter, Bath and Maths and stats science for UCL. My PS will be directed at only Data Science. Do you think I stand a chance? As I'm an international student, LSE has asked my seniors to submit their UMS marks in January when applications close. (This is because we take a modular system). I had a very bad day for M1 and I think I might get a B or C. But I think All my pure papers can attain 100 UMS, along with S1 at 95 UMS and above. My IGCSEs are 9 A*s and 1A.
So, in that case, no. I dont think you would be disadvantaged by much. Just need to ensure your a level predicted grades meet the requirements of AAA.
bigfish06
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
do you guys think it'd still be worth applying if I have already achieved AAA (maths computer science and physics)? I did the autumn exams for computer science and maths just recently, so best case scenario I would have A*A*A in which case I would definitely try and apply, but if things dont go to plan, would it still be worth applying since I met the requirements, although LSE is very competitive in some subjects?
sarahyee
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by bigfish06)
do you guys think it'd still be worth applying if I have already achieved AAA (maths computer science and physics)? I did the autumn exams for computer science and maths just recently, so best case scenario I would have A*A*A in which case I would definitely try and apply, but if things dont go to plan, would it still be worth applying since I met the requirements, although LSE is very competitive in some subjects?
I think it's worth a chance since you've already met the requirements! I think as long as you have a good PS they might give you an uncoditional offer since you've already gotten the results!! but that's my opinion, it'd be great if someone with experience to advise!!
Last edited by sarahyee; 4 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (630)
33.65%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (787)
42.04%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (371)
19.82%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (84)
4.49%

Watched Threads