CemXx732
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Hey,

I’m currently in my first year of university doing English language and linguistics. For one of my modules we have to write a 500-800 essay and a poster about a topic which has been allocated for us. We have to include a definition of the concept, theoretical approaches and key empirical studies. My allocated topic is Creoles, and we haven’t learn anything about it and I’m struggling to find stuff online to put in it. Can anyone help??
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by CemXx732)
Hey,

I’m currently in my first year of university doing English language and linguistics. For one of my modules we have to write a 500-800 essay and a poster about a topic which has been allocated for us. We have to include a definition of the concept, theoretical approaches and key empirical studies. My allocated topic is Creoles, and we haven’t learn anything about it and I’m struggling to find stuff online to put in it. Can anyone help??
I'm presuming you mean this (and not the ethnic group): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creole_language
CemXx732
Rep:
?
(Original post by PhoenixFortune)
I'm presuming you mean this (and not the ethnic group): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creole_language
Yeah it’s the language I’m studying, but we haven’t been taught anything about it and I’m struggling to find any studies on it
PhoenixFortune
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Yeah it’s the language I’m studying, but we haven’t been taught anything about it and I’m struggling to find any studies on it
That's because it's not a single language, but a language type (similar to pidgin). I put 'creole language' into Google Scholar and found quite a few: https://scholar.google.com/scholar?h...language&btnG=
CemXx732
Rep:
?
That's because it's not a single language, but a language type (similar to pidgin). I put 'creole language' into Google Scholar and found quite a few: https://scholar.google.com/scholar?h...language&btnG=
Yeah I’ve looked at so many articles, but finding a key study is difficult. Especially when some people have the topics of standard English or accommodation theory for example
PhoenixFortune
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Yeah I’ve looked at so many articles, but finding a key study is difficult. Especially when some people have the topics of standard English or accommodation theory for example
What kind of 'key study' do you have in mind? Unless a concept is coined by a particular researcher, it's always difficult to pin it down to one key source.
CemXx732
Rep:
?
What kind of 'key study' do you have in mind? Unless a concept is coined by a particular researcher, it's always difficult to pin it down to one key source.
I don’t particularly have one in mind, it’s just what we have to include in our essay. For example if it was language and gender you could use the study and work of Coates. I looked into Van Name and found that he started of the research into creole language, but can’t find much else
PhoenixFortune
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I don’t particularly have one in mind, it’s just what we have to include in our essay. For example if it was language and gender you could use the study and work of Coates. I looked into Van Name and found that he started of the research into creole language, but can’t find much else
Could you see your lecturer and discuss what you have so far to make sure you're on the right track?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (73)
29.92%
No (171)
70.08%

Watched Threads