Revision for Gcse History Edexcel

Watch this thread
Asma.Hussain
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Can anybody help me how to revise history.
Im really struggling i have the edexcel revision guide and workbook for all off my topics but i dont know how to revise with them.
Please help.
emma963
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
I would suggest summarising the key events/ dates on a record card/ piece of paper in a condensed form.
This is the method I used and I found it useful to have the clear progression of events. —> this also allows you to identify gaps in your knowledge/ key information.
Also it may help to try to plan an essay on how you would write the long answers.
Asma.Hussain
Rep:
Thanks very much..I shall try
LazLo_
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by masma)
Can anybody help me how to revise history.
Im really struggling i have the edexcel revision guide and workbook for all off my topics but i dont know how to revise with them.
Please help.
Alright i used to do history, so this is what i used to do:
I used to do medcine, anglo saxons, american west and nazi germany.
you spilt them up into sections obviously
I used to remember history as some sort of story thats how i remembered important key dates/facts-Im pretty sure this way of thinking was wrong but it worked for me really well.
Use a timeline for a progression of events
Id focus on american west and anglo saxons, generally it was harder and had more questions on the test paper eg those stupid 16 marker questions.
In nazi germany i didnt remeber specifically which question it was but theres a specific answer to this on a question you had no matter what-(youll find out eventually)
big tip do not stress. it makes things worse. Even though i did amazing on history i left things till about febuary when i started to work hard.
considering the amount of time u have right now to youre gcses im not saying its lots neither am i saying its small.
just go over stuff every week or so to retain your memory-you might not be able to handle a bunch of info in one go. Even 10 mins a day from now can make a huge impact.
Dont be a idiot like me, even though i have zero regrets procrastinating on this easy subject I could have saved a bunch of time if I revised ealier on.
generally this subject has straight forwards answers and format to answers
Good luck my dude. ask any further questions if you want
mistyisu
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Practising past exam questions will help as they will be a similar structure and have the possibility of popping up in a mock exam. As mentioned above, revision cards are very handy for memorising key dates and subject knowledge as they are very important- without them you can't really write an explanation for the higher mark questions
Asma.Hussain
Rep:
(Original post by LazLo_)
Alright i used to do history, so this is what i used to do:
I used to do medcine, anglo saxons, american west and nazi germany.
you spilt them up into sections obviously
I used to remember history as some sort of story thats how i remembered important key dates/facts-Im pretty sure this way of thinking was wrong but it worked for me really well.
Use a timeline for a progression of events
Id focus on american west and anglo saxons, generally it was harder and had more questions on the test paper eg those stupid 16 marker questions.
In nazi germany i didnt remeber specifically which question it was but theres a specific answer to this on a question you had no matter what-(youll find out eventually)
big tip do not stress. it makes things worse. Even though i did amazing on history i left things till about febuary when i started to work hard.
considering the amount of time u have right now to youre gcses im not saying its lots neither am i saying its small.
just go over stuff every week or so to retain your memory-you might not be able to handle a bunch of info in one go. Even 10 mins a day from now can make a huge impact.
Dont be a idiot like me, even though i have zero regrets procrastinating on this easy subject I could have saved a bunch of time if I revised ealier on.
generally this subject has straight forwards answers and format to answers
Good luck my dude. ask any further questions if you want
Thanks
Asma.Hussain
Rep:
(Original post by mistyisu)
Practising past exam questions will help as they will be a similar structure and have the possibility of popping up in a mock exam. As mentioned above, revision cards are very handy for memorising key dates and subject knowledge as they are very important- without them you can't really write an explanation for the higher mark questions
thanks
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
flashcards
luluselected
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I really struggled doing history gcse and a level, and honestly the best method I used was mind maps! If you're using a textbook, most of them already have the point split up so all you need to do is ride the topic in the centre and then the points coming out obviously. and then write a little summary at the bottom of it. if you're using historians reports with large pieces of writing it can be quite overwhelming so just take it one paragraph at a time and with each paragraph write it into bullet points and then convert into a mind map and that way you might not have to write a summary as long as your points are really well explained and have evidence but it really helps you compress and memorize large pieces of text. I hope this helps
Asma.Hussain
Rep:
(Original post by luluselected)
I really struggled doing history gcse and a level, and honestly the best method I used was mind maps! If you're using a textbook, most of them already have the point split up so all you need to do is ride the topic in the centre and then the points coming out obviously. and then write a little summary at the bottom of it. if you're using historians reports with large pieces of writing it can be quite overwhelming so just take it one paragraph at a time and with each paragraph write it into bullet points and then convert into a mind map and that way you might not have to write a summary as long as your points are really well explained and have evidence but it really helps you compress and memorize large pieces of text. I hope this helps
Thanks will do!
Asma.Hussain
Rep:
Thanks will do!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your SQA results?

They're better than I expected (20)
31.75%
They're what I expected (19)
30.16%
They're worse than what I expected (24)
38.1%

Watched Threads