Does psychology count as science (applied)?

Watch
16rlee
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I was looking at physical geography entry requirements, I have geography but need another science. I took psychology at a level and was wondering if that was an option as applied science.
YouMadBro!
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by 16rlee)
I was looking at physical geography entry requirements, I have geography but need another science. I took psychology at a level and was wondering if that was an option as applied science.
check the requirements, generally they list what count as a science. But yes, psychology is a science in the sense there's data analysis with t-tests and hypothesis forming etc.
16rlee
Rep:
?
(Original post by YouMadBro!)
check the requirements, generally they list what count as a science. But yes, psychology is a science in the sense there's data analysis with t-tests and hypothesis forming etc.
It didn't specify what the applied science was but I have emailed admissions. Thanks for the help
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
It didn't specify what the applied science was but I have emailed admissions. Thanks for the help
Could they have been talking about Applied Science BTEC?
16rlee
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sinnoh)
Could they have been talking about Applied Science BTEC?
The requirements were under the A level section so I assume its an A level
Thanks
Interea
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
"ABB including Geography and at least one science-related subject from Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science, Computing, Environmental Studies, Environmental Science, Further Maths, Geology, Human Biology, Marine Science, Mathematics, Physics, Statistics, Pure Maths, Science (applied)."

It seems like a pretty specific list, so I assume "Science (applied)" refers to a specific qualification instead of just general science subjects.

Edit: There does seem to be an old modular A level under that name, so it might just be covering that for mature applicants.
Last edited by Interea; 3 months ago
16rlee
Rep:
?
(Original post by Interea)
"ABB including Geography and at least one science-related subject from Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science, Computing, Environmental Studies, Environmental Science, Further Maths, Geology, Human Biology, Marine Science, Mathematics, Physics, Statistics, Pure Maths, Science (applied)."

It seems like a pretty specific list, so I assume "Science (applied)" refers to a specific qualification instead of just general science subjects.
Yeah it probably is a qualification. I'll look further
Thanks
Newcastle University
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi 16rlee,

It's great to hear you're interested in our Physical Geography programme I got in touch with our Geography admissions team and they got back with the following;

Unfortunately no, we do not accept Psychology as a science for entry onto our physical geography courses. However, have you considered our BA Geography programme?

"We offer 3 degrees and of them FH82 ‘Physical Geography’ is the only one that is purely physical geography. We also have our F800 BSc Geography and L701 BA Geography degrees which are more flexible. We do require one of the listed science subjects to enrol on either of the BSc degrees. However, our two ‘Geography’ degrees (BA and BSc, L701 and F800) are in every way the same - very flexible - degree. They have the same required modules and same options. If a student starts on L701 (BA) and chooses to study mostly physical geography modules they would transfer to graduate with BSc Geography F800. This pathway can be almost all physical geography but does include one compulsory introductory human geography module, beyond that you are free to choose only physical geography. The upside of doing that one human geography module in 1st year is that it means your degree is RGS accredited – as the RGS only accredits degrees that include human and physical geography.

The logic of this system is that without the science A level we can’t be sure you are ready for the scientific nature of physical geography at undergraduate level. However, if you choose physical geography optional modules in 1st year and pass them we take that performance in lieu of a science A level, meaning you can continue with physical geography in 2nd and 3rd year and can graduate with the BSc."

Hope this helps! If you have any further questions, our dedicated teams would be happy to help via [email protected].

- Laura
16rlee
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
This has helped alot, I will look into the ba and bsc. Thanks for replying
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (51)
18.35%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (78)
28.06%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (102)
36.69%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (37)
13.31%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (10)
3.6%

Watched Threads