oxford applicant mistake on my personal statement

Watch
bvrly
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, i’ve made a mistake on my personal statement. I’m applying to oxford do you still think I can get in ? I already have an offer from Bristol, but I’m really upset that I and no one else noticed my error. I wrote about how oil lamps replaced gas lamps when really it should’ve been gas lamps replacing oil lamps.
jane_77
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Oh God, I can only imagine what you must feel like right now. I think it depends on how long ago you submitted your UCAS application?
bvrly
Rep:
?
Last edited by bvrly; 1 month ago
bvrly
Rep:
?
(Original post by jane_77)
Oh God, I can only imagine what you must feel like right now. I think it depends on how long ago you submitted your UCAS application?
yeah i’m really worried about it, i only wrote one fleeting sentence about it so hopefully it just gets skimmed over :/ ,, Bristol didn’t notice/ignored it so i’m just going to pray that the others don’t too
Interea
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by bvrly)
Hi, i’ve made a mistake on my personal statement. I’m applying to oxford do you still think I can get in ? I already have an offer from Bristol, but I’m really upset that I and no one else noticed my error. I wrote about how oil lamps replaced gas lamps when really it should’ve been gas lamps replacing oil lamps.
It's a minor error, and clearly a mistake, so I really don't think it matters - they may even not spot your mistake anyway, it's very easy to skim over since what you meant is obvious. Nothing you can do about it now anyway, so you just need to move past it. Well done on your offer from Bristol!
bvrly
Rep:
?
(Original post by Interea)
It's a minor error, and clearly a mistake, so I really don't think it matters - they may even not spot your mistake anyway, it's very easy to skim over since what you meant is obvious. Nothing you can do about it now anyway, so you just need to move past it. Well done on your offer from Bristol!
thank you ! & you’re right there’s nothing i can do now , i’m just gonna try my best to take my mind off it
Sophiebxx
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by bvrly)
Hi,
I’ve done a really similar mistake for my oxford application. I said “to help the British war effort” rather than “to help the German war effort”. Obviously I have no idea if Oxford have picked up on this, but I’ve received offers from Manchester and NCH. It was quite an obvious mistake, but they must realise that applicants do make errors and to look at the quality of the application as a whole.

Hopefully it’ll be alright for the both of us! 😅
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (705)
33.91%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (888)
42.71%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (393)
18.9%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.47%

Watched Threads