shanfara
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm in the middle of completing the Think Ahead application form, and wondering if anyone else on here is applying or was in a previous cohort.

I finished the written answers today; although I'm a bit worried about my problem-solving answer. I still need to do the videos. But I've planned these out, and will do them next week.

How have others have found the form? Did you read off a paper when doing the videos; or did you memorise your answers like a script?
sasha799
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi
I've just passed the online test and about to start the application. It looks quite difficult!

Good Luck
shanfara
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by sasha799)
Hi
I've just passed the online test and about to start the application. It looks quite difficult!

Good Luck
I submitted mine last Friday. It was hard work but such a relief to finish it. My advice, if you want it, would be as follows.

1) You have three weeks, so pace yourself. Don't try and do it all in one go.
2) Spend a day or two just researching and reading about the job of a MHSW. Note down any keywords, buzz words, ideas, etc. This will help you when it comes to answering the questions because your examples have to be relevant and speak to these keywords and values.
3) I allocated a day to each written question. Use the STAR method to draft answers because it really does help to organise and focus your thoughts and writing. If you don't know what the STAR method is, look online for explanations and examples. It's a really good structure. (Hint: the S part should be the shortest.) In the first drafts of your answers, don't worry about going over the word limit. Just write it out in Word or Pages where you can see the wordcount. Take a break, come back to it, read it against STAR. Think about what you can say more concisely, and what doesn't need to be said. Ask someone else to read it too, as this will really help you with your cuts! If you know any social workers, ask them to look at your answers.
4) Make sure you use relevant examples from a range of jobs and experiences. This will demonstrate that you're a well-rounded individual.
5) Make sure your answers include the keywords and values you researched. It shows you understand the job, and that your decision to apply is a well-considered one.
6) A two-minute video is around 300 words or less. I would write out what you're going to say, and rehearse it out loud. Time each rehearsal, and cut cut cut.

I really hope this helps. And good luck!
sasha799
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by shanfara)
I submitted mine last Friday. It was hard work but such a relief to finish it. My advice, if you want it, would be as follows.

1) You have three weeks, so pace yourself. Don't try and do it all in one go.
2) Spend a day or two just researching and reading about the job of a MHSW. Note down any keywords, buzz words, ideas, etc. This will help you when it comes to answering the questions because your examples have to be relevant and speak to these keywords and values.
3) I allocated a day to each written question. Use the STAR method to draft answers because it really does help to organise and focus your thoughts and writing. If you don't know what the STAR method is, look online for explanations and examples. It's a really good structure. (Hint: the S part should be the shortest.) In the first drafts of your answers, don't worry about going over the word limit. Just write it out in Word or Pages where you can see the wordcount. Take a break, come back to it, read it against STAR. Think about what you can say more concisely, and what doesn't need to be said. Ask someone else to read it too, as this will really help you with your cuts! If you know any social workers, ask them to look at your answers.
4) Make sure you use relevant examples from a range of jobs and experiences. This will demonstrate that you're a well-rounded individual.
5) Make sure your answers include the keywords and values you researched. It shows you understand the job, and that your decision to apply is a well-considered one.
6) A two-minute video is around 300 words or less. I would write out what you're going to say, and rehearse it out loud. Time each rehearsal, and cut cut cut.

I really hope this helps. And good luck!
Oh wow....thanks so much for this! I really appreciate your advice honestly.

Thanks again xx
shanfara
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by sasha799)
Oh wow....thanks so much for this! I really appreciate your advice honestly.

Thanks again xx
My boyfriend and friend helped me when I couldn't find anything on here. So I'm just paying it forward. Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (714)
33.85%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (903)
42.82%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (399)
18.92%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.41%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed