?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Does anyone know how to structure the context of Macbeth x
Lucy Hemmersen
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
A common error in GCSE English Lit is that people tag context onto the end of their paragraphs without making any attempt to link it to their specific point. With context, you need to think quality over quantity. It'll impress an examiner much more if you bring in a few contextual points which strongly perpetuate the half of the points you are making rather than a whole bunch of irrelevant context in every paragraph. When you're bringing in context, make sure it is clearly linking to your point and actually strengthens your argument. There's no right or wrong place to put it, as long as where you DO place it makes sense and is actually useful. That said, a singular piece of context within the conclusion such as a quote from a critic or something like that can be a nice way to wrap things up. It entirely depends on what you are writing, so try not to worry about structure for context and just make sure that you know it well enough that you can bring in some contextual points to back up your ideas where possible - and actually discuss them, don't just tag them on the end.
lulumillie02
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Hi,
I agree with the person above but as you are doing Macbeth, depending on the question, it has to link with the question. For example, if you are writing about Macbeth's paranoia and its consequences at the start of Act 3 (well around that) then you could write about Banquo's children having the prophecy when Macbeth and Lady Macbeth eventually die. You could then extend this idea to the great chain of being and include what the audience would think too with this context involved. It is always really good to write about context in your essay answers but always make sure that it is linked to the question and that you don't waffle onto something like James 1's book about witches and his beliefs.
I hope this helped.
Sorry if I spoiled anything for you, if you haven't read up to this point.
absolutelysprout
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
you have to make it relevant to the question/answer, there's no really right or set way to structure it you just have to keep practicing questions till you can write a coherent answer where context is integrated smoothly into your essay. making notes on how bits of the text link to context will help
Hyperbolit
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by 16butcherr)
Does anyone know how to structure the context of Macbeth x
Hi there, the context (historical, political, cultural etc.) should really be there to help frame your analysis. It's almost never the case that an entire essay (especially GCSE ones) would be about the play's context. Also, different themes in the same play (e.g. ambition vs the supernatural in Macbeth) often require different contextual focus, so it depends on the idea you're writing about in any given essay.

If it helps at all, I've created some videos and written some blog posts on 'Macbeth' as learning resources for anyone studying the play, so perhaps you could check them out:

- Ambition in Macbeth: Full Analysis (YouTube video)
- Ambition in Macbeth: 4 key ideas with quotes and analysis (blog post)
- The Supernatural in Macbeth: Full Analysis (YouTube video)
- The Supernatural in Macbeth: 3 key ideas with quotes and analysis (blog post)
- Who's to blame for Macbeth's fall? (blog post)

I hope this helps
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (32)
16.08%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (62)
31.16%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (24)
12.06%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (16)
8.04%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (11)
5.53%
I think it's an unfair expectation (51)
25.63%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.51%

Watched Threads