Gordon21
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
How did you all of you guys revise for GCSE literature for example Macbeth and Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde?.
Cat.killeen
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Compile a list of themes and characters. For example: Macbeth, Lady Macbeth, Duncan, etc. and Ambition, gender, supernatural, etc.

then make a quote bank for each one - only put in the good quotes, the ones that you can talk about a lot in an exam.

this makes essays really easy, you can refer to these themes and have a lot of your analysis prepared.

The only other thing I found helpful was making a few sentence starters that I could memorise to help me get into my essays straight away when I was under timed conditions so I dint waste any time thinking pointlessly, if that makes sense
helloiambored
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Cat.killeen)
Compile a list of themes and characters. For example: Macbeth, Lady Macbeth, Duncan, etc. and Ambition, gender, supernatural, etc.

then make a quote bank for each one - only put in the good quotes, the ones that you can talk about a lot in an exam.

this makes essays really easy, you can refer to these themes and have a lot of your analysis prepared.

The only other thing I found helpful was making a few sentence starters that I could memorise to help me get into my essays straight away when I was under timed conditions so I dint waste any time thinking pointlessly, if that makes sense
How should I revise for English language as I need to get atleast grade 6 in it and I just can’t do descriptive writing 😭
GCSE2019help
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
just dont revise
Pichi
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by helloiambored)
How should I revise for English language as I need to get atleast grade 6 in it and I just can’t do descriptive writing 😭
For descriptive writing, all you can really do it practice and maybe get a teacher to look at it if you can.
Reading books helps but, if you feel like you really don't have time, there are lots of good short stories out there. The last short story I did for my GCSEs was inspired by a short story I read. Vary your grammar (i.e. colons, semicolons) and sentence lengths (too many long sentences get tiring to read). Use ambitious language, but don't overuse ambitious language to the point where it sounds ridiculous (again, reading literature will help you gain an understanding as to what ambitious language being used sensibly and effectively looks like; if you don't want to read older literature, then contemporary literature is a good example of what people usually write in exams).

I practised by reading (of course), doing a few of the existing papers and just writing on the side (e.g. I would take some time to literally just describe an interaction I had with a person that day, a view I saw, the sounds and atmosphere of places I went to, etc).

In terms of exam technique: for the short stories, I still tried to use the picture provided as I knew it would be related to the story prompt. For describing the photo, I did this by zooming in like a camera- I would describe the outsides and gradually focus on the centre or main focus, and occasionally shift the focus around. Remembering to describe some of the senses helps to set an atmosphere (sound, smell, touch, sight). Don't spend too long planning and, if you're writing a story, make sure the plot isn't too complex (and, again, reading actual literature and short stories helps you determine this- usually, short stories centre around revealing an aspect of a character or showing their character progression). For the plan, make sure you're adding techniques into your plan (e.g. if you know you want to describe a sunset, note down that you'll do this with a simile or something, but don't overdo the techniques either, of course). Finally, make sure you have enough time to actually write it- I did the short story/description at the start of the exam before answering Section A on comparing the two texts (AQA).

Some good short stories: anything by Edgar Allan Poe, The Yellow Wallpaper, The Swimmer, The Lottery (the one I said inspired me), The Veldt - these are all pretty well-known. There are plenty more out there, but I can't think of anymore right now. I hope this helps
Last edited by Pichi; 9 months ago
absolutelysprout
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
practice questions, quote banks, mindmaps for characters and themes, lots of flashcards.
Cat.killeen
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by helloiambored)
ok, so im in year 12 now doing English, and the descriptive writing is actually much easier than people realise - just CHECKLIST it!!!

imagine you need to complete a checklist wen you do it - have different paragraph lengths, use semi colons or colons, use a few dashes and get some fancy vocab in. I loved a good single-word paragraph in my Q5's last year

don't worry about how cheesy it sounds because the examiner dosen't care that much, they give you marks for the fancy things you do - they mark your descriptive piece with a marking checklist so write it like that!

descriptionari is a great website to find creative writing ideas to help start you off, and soon you will be using similar techniques in all you pieces because you starts to notice what gets you the marks.

don't worry too much and let the creative juices flow! x
helloiambored
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Cat.killeen)
ok, so im in year 12 now doing English, and the descriptive writing is actually much easier than people realise - just CHECKLIST it!!!

imagine you need to complete a checklist wen you do it - have different paragraph lengths, use semi colons or colons, use a few dashes and get some fancy vocab in. I loved a good single-word paragraph in my Q5's last year

don't worry about how cheesy it sounds because the examiner dosen't care that much, they give you marks for the fancy things you do - they mark your descriptive piece with a marking checklist so write it like that!
the
descriptionari is a great website to find creative writing ideas to help start you off, and soon you will be using similar techniques in all you pieces because you starts to notice what gets you the marks.

don't worry too much and let the creative juices flow! x
thank you for the advice really appreciate it. but the thing is i just don't know what to write so how can i use the various structures like semi colons etc. when i see any picture my brain just goes blank i, it's like i just don't know any words. and it stresses me out so much :confused:
Cat.killeen
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
At GCSE, you can basically twist any picture or storyline to suit what you want. Writing dark and spooky is always easier for some reason, so just lean a few set vocabulary words that you can always get in you essay. So the same with demo colons etc. Find a good sentence that is versatile enough that you could use it anywhere.

Literally the picture could be anything from a beach to an apple, I can still write a story about running through scary woods as long as I came from a beach or found an apple in the woods. If this makes sense, you can almost decide what you want to write before hand and just warm you writing to suit what you get in the exam.

Don’t stress and just make sure to focus on describing rather than only storytelling!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (72)
22.93%
Excited but a bit nervous (141)
44.9%
Not bothered either way (37)
11.78%
I'm really nervous (64)
20.38%

Watched Threads