username5152584
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Hi our school has told us to start thinking about our options after school. I definitely want to do biology, chemistry and maybe history but they say it’s advisable to study as level Core Maths alongside the science subjects but I really don’t want to study maths as a separate qualification. Is it really that helpful and will chemistry be manageable without doing the core maths? Thank you
ErrorNotFound
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Newyorkiscool)
Hi our school has told us to start thinking about our options after school. I definitely want to do biology, chemistry and maybe history but they say it’s advisable to study as level Core Maths alongside the science subjects but I really don’t want to study maths as a separate qualification. Is it really that helpful and will chemistry be manageable without doing the core maths? Thank you
It depends what you want to study for uni but lots of science courses involve maths at certain extent. So for example I am studying biomedical sciences and we have statistic module which is mostly Alevel maths and other modules such as biochemistry or genetics also involve mathematical content. Hence I honestly would say doing maths would be really helpful for your future. But don't worry! It would be helpful and allow you be ahead of others but the lecturers still explain from the basics so even if you didn't do the maths A level, you would be able to learn from start. (not expected for all the students to have done Alevel maths.
Hope this helps!
username4793362
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
——-
Last edited by username4793362; 10 months ago
ErrorNotFound
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
What you learn in A level is actually quite different from GCSE. The overlap between GCSE and A level maths I found is mostly in AS. So from GCSE to AS shouldn't be too bad but A2 maths IS very different (lots of new stuff) so could be hard too (big jump for some people).
Stanza03
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
From my friend who did Core Maths due to her Biology grade being slightly lower than expected by the college.

She said core maths is the easiest thing she does, it doesn't really challenge you it's just essentially a higher GCSE maths paper.

If your maths and science grades are high enough you probably won't have to do core maths but also remember if you are doing Core Maths of your free will it will add an extra 4 hours or so of lessons in your timetable.
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Level 3 Maths Studies is only the size of an AS and significantly easier than one (though it gets you the same UCAS points). It will be quite helpful and shouldn't be much of a strain.
username5152584
Rep:
?
(Original post by chatsmilady)
It depends what you want to study for uni but lots of science courses involve maths at certain extent. So for example I am studying biomedical sciences and we have statistic module which is mostly Alevel maths and other modules such as biochemistry or genetics also involve mathematical content. Hence I honestly would say doing maths would be really helpful for your future. But don't worry! It would be helpful and allow you be ahead of others but the lecturers still explain from the basics so even if you didn't do the maths A level, you would be able to learn from start. (not expected for all the students to have done Alevel maths.
Hope this helps!
Hi thank you, I’m hoping to do medicine and I understand there will be aspects of maths within the degree but I don’t know if I can face another 2 years of studying maths separately I find quite boring. I might look into the maths first before I decide. Thank you
username5152584
Rep:
?
(Original post by Stanza03)
From my friend who did Core Maths due to her Biology grade being slightly lower than expected by the college.

She said core maths is the easiest thing she does, it doesn't really challenge you it's just essentially a higher GCSE maths paper.

If your maths and science grades are high enough you probably won't have to do core maths but also remember if you are doing Core Maths of your free will it will add an extra 4 hours or so of lessons in your timetable.
Hi thank you I will definitely look at the spec to see what it includes. But yes that’s one reason I don’t want to do core maths because it will take some of my frees when I could potentially revising my main Alevels. And the degree I want to do only looks at the grade not at ucas points so I can’t see it been heavily important for me to do it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (15)
6.55%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
14.85%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (40)
17.47%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (34)
14.85%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (61)
26.64%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (45)
19.65%

Watched Threads