The Student Room Group

What are your thoughts on social distancing?

Exactly what the title says, write your thoughts below and we can discuss them.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think the premise is good, but the rules surrounding it are ridiculous. Why is it I can only have a group of six? Why not three? Why not eight? Does the virus see that we’re a group of five and just back off, but as soon as another person enters then it strikes?

Or what about in schools. They’re doing block starts in a lot of places. At the end of the day, kids are gonna be in the same room no matter if one starts five minutes later than the other?

And don’t even get me starting on the ‘bubble groups’ they’ve set up. How am I any safer in a group of 40? The virus isn’t stopping just because I’ve entered the four walls of a college.
It's peak that I got to remember to wear my mask on the tube all the time. I am too fabulous for a mask. Makes my skin itch, but it is what it is, alie.
nonsense
Reply 4
Its necessary and a shame that people are not following it.
'Freedom', a term that seems to get slung around quite a bit by those against social distancing, is not worth a life. Im currently unable to go to any necessary doctors appointments since where I live is currently a Covid hotspot mostly due to students in the uni a few miles from my house throwing parties ( the number of positive tests went up by almost 20% the week they came back and have not been going down :sigh: ). Its frustrating. People are just selfish and can only think about themselves.
Good idea and should be put into practice with common sense backed up by science.
very pro social-distancing

Your freedom stops when it infringes on someone else's freedom. In this case, some people think they should have the freedom to do whatever they want, thought by doing that they raise the chances of killing others? I know it is in indirect, but the foreseeable risk is there
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by beartrap
I think the premise is good, but the rules surrounding it are ridiculous. Why is it I can only have a group of six? Why not three? Why not eight? Does the virus see that we’re a group of five and just back off, but as soon as another person enters then it strikes?

Or what about in schools. They’re doing block starts in a lot of places. At the end of the day, kids are gonna be in the same room no matter if one starts five minutes later than the other?

And don’t even get me starting on the ‘bubble groups’ they’ve set up. How am I any safer in a group of 40? The virus isn’t stopping just because I’ve entered the four walls of a college.

The rule of six is plainly nuts.Far better to have made it two households .And I swear the bubbles and staggered starts were just to kid parents schools were Covid safe.Masks ,two metre space,handwashing just common sense
The current set of distancing rules make very little sense. How does a museum or coffee shop pose more risk to public health then a hospital? Why can't we use our own common sense about a worldwide health crisis? It seems sadly as though certain people have basically lost their minds. It has been going on for several weeks now. Surely we would have figured out how to carry on as usual in the face of a public health issue by now. Not impressed.
Glad to see that I’m not the only one who feels this way about coronavirus right now. It cannot be as nearly as bad as what the government is having us believe either. Someone in power is either clearly lying or hiding important up to date information from us. Common sense really needs to prevail here. This does not mean abandoning our face masks yet however. Nor does it mean that we should just stop washing our hands or taking sensible precautions at all. Far from it in fact.
Reply 9
Original post by shortgirl96
The current set of distancing rules make very little sense. How does a museum or coffee shop pose more risk to public health then a hospital? Why can't we use our own common sense about a worldwide health crisis? It seems sadly as though certain people have basically lost their minds. It has been going on for several weeks now. Surely we would have figured out how to carry on as usual in the face of a public health issue by now. Not impressed.
Glad to see that I’m not the only one who feels this way about coronavirus right now. It cannot be as nearly as bad as what the government is having us believe either. Someone in power is either clearly lying or hiding important up to date information from us. Common sense really needs to prevail here. This does not mean abandoning our face masks yet however. Nor does it mean that we should just stop washing our hands or taking sensible precautions at all. Far from it in fact.

What on earth makes you think the government in this country is making it out to be worse than it is.Look around the world!Are all the governments lying then?Our government if anything are playing it down or we would of already been on a national circuit breaker.
Original post by shortgirl96
How does a museum or coffee shop pose more risk to public health then a hospital?

Are you suggesting hospitals should be shut?
Pointless, we have never had to wear masks or social distance in hospitals or when visiting the gp; where people actually have illness. But you have to do it to grab a coffee
Original post by Universityhelp09
Pointless, we have never had to wear masks or social distance in hospitals or when visiting the gp; where people actually have illness. But you have to do it to grab a coffee

You have to wear a mask when visiting the GP or the hospital...
Original post by black tea
You have to wear a mask when visiting the GP or the hospital...

I meant pre COVID
Original post by Universityhelp09
I meant pre COVID

we didn't wear masks to grab a coffee pre covid either so I don't really see your point.

(and it's not true that masks weren't worn in hospitals pre-covid - they were definitely worn for patients with flu, for example)
Original post by beartrap

It's about striking a balance between reducing the spread and also placing rules that aren't draconian and cause the least amount of social restriction. At some point in this balance you have to strike a relatively arbitrary number. It also has to be simple enough for all the plebs to comprehend, but clearly even this is too much to ask.
i'm pro-social distancing because (within exception) it just makes sense, and it's not (within exception) difficult to do or follow.

the ruling and handling of this pandemic hasn't been great but i know that i wouldn't want to be in a position of power right now, no way.

criticism from left right and center with very few solutions, most of which are based on hindsight. :dontknow:
2 days later so I'm guessing the OP didn't have much interest in discussing the topic after all.
Original post by Admit-One
2 days later so I'm guessing the OP didn't have much interest in discussing the topic after all.

I didn't get any of the notifications.
Original post by sykobear
I didn't get any of the notifications.

What are your thoughts now you've read peoples replies?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending