The Student Room Group

Period hasn’t stopped for more than 5 weeks???

I missed my period for four months from May to August and I got it in September but it hasn’t stopped since then and it’s already mid-October. I usually only bleed for 5 days so this is way off a normal cycle for me. I have called the GP (during my third week of bleeding) and they gave me a progesterone pill to “reset” my period but despite taking it everyday, my bleeding is nowhere near stopping? Is this what progesterone only pills do? My roommate is concerned and I do want to call the GP again but should I wait until I finish my pills or call ASAP?
Reply 1
definitely call your GP if it’s been two weeks since they prescribed you the pills.
Original post by Anonymous
I missed my period for four months from May to August and I got it in September but it hasn’t stopped since then and it’s already mid-October. I usually only bleed for 5 days so this is way off a normal cycle for me. I have called the GP (during my third week of bleeding) and they gave me a progesterone pill to “reset” my period but despite taking it everyday, my bleeding is nowhere near stopping? Is this what progesterone only pills do? My roommate is concerned and I do want to call the GP again but should I wait until I finish my pills or call ASAP?

are you on any other type of contraception? I have the contraceptive implant and i bleed for 8 months non stop, the doctor gave me the progesterone only pill to do the same and about a month after i stopped taking the pill, my periods stopped/ regulated.
Reply 3
Original post by ameliaagraceex
are you on any other type of contraception? I have the contraceptive implant and i bleed for 8 months non stop, the doctor gave me the progesterone only pill to do the same and about a month after i stopped taking the pill, my periods stopped/ regulated.

No, I'm not taking any sort of contraceptives. I was prescribed a progesterone-only pill on the fourth week of bleeding but that just wound up making things worse; heavier period, horrible cramping and everything. They told me to take another progesterone pill like yesterday to stop the bleeding ASAP because I might have lost too much blood but I was warned that even if the bleeding stopped for now, it would make things worse when I start bleeding again so I'm scared to take it lol.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous

no you shouldnt wait its a risk you are taking just visit the doctor and this time a new one so you can compare who's better

Quick Reply

Latest