The Student Room Group

Conservative Universities in Scotland (potentially elsewhere if you have good ones)

Hello, I was wondering whether anybody on here has knowledge of Univeristies in Scotland. I wish to possibly go there, I'm considering either journalism or history (likely not modern, but that isn't for certain), but for me its quite a priority to be at a conservative, or at least truly neutral (althought that is very rare nowadays) university. Are there any in Scotland, or potentially anywhere else in the world if you have a particularly good one in mind, that you could recommend me? It doesn't need to be the most prestigeous top 3 universities neccessarily. The polls and reputation don't always tell accurately about the quality of education. I greatly appreciate any responses, and thanks in advance!
Original post by NelaK
Hello, I was wondering whether anybody on here has knowledge of Univeristies in Scotland. I wish to possibly go there, I'm considering either journalism or history (likely not modern, but that isn't for certain), but for me its quite a priority to be at a conservative, or at least truly neutral (althought that is very rare nowadays) university. Are there any in Scotland, or potentially anywhere else in the world if you have a particularly good one in mind, that you could recommend me? It doesn't need to be the most prestigeous top 3 universities neccessarily. The polls and reputation don't always tell accurately about the quality of education. I greatly appreciate any responses, and thanks in advance!

Not really sure what you mean here. Are you asking about politically conservative or socially conservative? Do you mean the leanings of the student bodies, the university authorities, both? Choosing a Uni based upon these is quite an odd method. No University will be completely radical or indeed completely conservative. You can choose which groups you wish to mix with within the Uni and how political you wish to be. Plenty of students will go through their entire time at university without political engagement of any type.
Reply 2
Thanks a lot for the very quick reply. And you're right, I should've specified a lot better. I meant politically conservative. I'm considering this as one of the factors because I am interested in potentially studying history, which is one of the subjects greatly affected by a UNI's political affiliations. Often it is also not quite up to the student which
Students are not selected by Universities according to their the political views, and a very important part of going to University is meeting people from different backgrounds, and learning to get on with them.

Are you worried that you might have to study alongside.....(gulp).... members of the working class?

Quick Reply

Latest