Do you have to submit a substitute personal statement for Liberal Arts at Durham?

Watch
ginnynyz
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I'm considering applying to Durham's lib arts course (I still have 2 spots left on UCAS), but I've already submitted a personal statement in time for the Oxbridge deadline and that personal statement is specifically about philosophy and linguistics.

on their website, Durham stated that they allow students to submit a substitute personal statement after applying on UCAS, and "there is no requirement for an applicant to submit a substitute personal statement to us, nor will providing a substitute personal statement give any automatic advantage to an applicant."

however, I'm still worried that my personal statement is not that applicable for the course (i didn't write my statement with liberal arts in mind, only discussed philosophy and linguistics) and I haven't prepared for the possibility of writing another personal statement so I was just wondering if it is possible to receive an offer even if your personal statement doesn't cater directly to liberal arts.
Last edited by ginnynyz; 3 months ago
Anonymous #1
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by ginnynyz)
I'm considering applying to Durham's lib arts course (I still have 2 spots left on UCAS), but I've already submitted a personal statement in time for the Oxbridge deadline and that personal statement is specifically about philosophy and linguistics.

on their website, Durham stated that they allow students to submit a substitute personal statement after applying on UCAS, and "there is no requirement for an applicant to submit a substitute personal statement to us, nor will providing a substitute personal statement give any automatic advantage to an applicant."

however, I'm still worried that my personal statement is not that applicable for the course (i didn't write my statement with liberal arts in mind, only discussed philosophy and linguistics) and I haven't prepared for the possibility of writing another personal statement so I was just wondering if it is possible to receive an offer even if your personal statement doesn't cater directly to liberal arts.
My daughter applied to do Theology at Oxford and her PS was very focussed on that however she did also briefly mention Music and Philosophy as they linked into her A level subjects. She used the same PS for Durham for two courses Theology and LA. Her offer for Theology came a lot sooner than LA so not sure if that was because her PS was not that outstanding for LA or because LA offers are usually later because many depts have to approve.
ginnynyz
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
My daughter applied to do Theology at Oxford and her PS was very focussed on that however she did also briefly mention Music and Philosophy as they linked into her A level subjects. She used the same PS for Durham for two courses Theology and LA. Her offer for Theology came a lot sooner than LA so not sure if that was because her PS was not that outstanding for LA or because LA offers are usually later because many depts have to approve.
ah thanks for sharing! yeah it sounds like since theology, music and philosophy are all offered modules, your daughter's PS was still quite relevant to Durham's LA. I think I might just write a substitute PS where I slightly branch out from my original PS but still use the same content.
ginnynyz
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Thanks again for your advice! I've since applied to LA at Durham but didn't have enough time to write a substitute PS so I just took my chances and didn't submit one. My original PS covered more than one subject anyway, and both subjects were offered in the course. And luckily, right after applying they asked me to fill out a subject choice form to see the specific subjects I would like to take in LA, so I just filled it out according to what I wrote in my PS (philosophy... greek... sociology). I'm guessing the compatibility between my PS and subject choices played a huge role in my application, as I received an offer two weeks later!
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ginnynyz)
Thanks again for your advice! I've since applied to LA at Durham but didn't have enough time to write a substitute PS so I just took my chances and didn't submit one. My original PS covered more than one subject anyway, and both subjects were offered in the course. And luckily, right after applying they asked me to fill out a subject choice form to see the specific subjects I would like to take in LA, so I just filled it out according to what I wrote in my PS (philosophy... greek... sociology). I'm guessing the compatibility between my PS and subject choices played a huge role in my application, as I received an offer two weeks later!
Fantastic news well done. X
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (149)
61.83%
I don't have everything I need (92)
38.17%

Watched Threads