Anyone with Bipolar Disorder at University?

Watch
sollie.mac
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi!

It's a little scary to be talking so openly about this for me, but I was wondering if there's anyone else on here who struggles with Bipolar, maybe so I can feel less alone with everything. I had a really bad manic episode that led to be wasting over half of my student loan, and it's such a devastating thing to live with. I feel really alone, and I'd really love to at least know I'm not. Any advice on how to deal with manic episodes when you're away from home in an unfamiliar place would be amazing.

I am currently on medication (Trazodone and Quetiapine), but was very recently upped from 100mg to 150mg of Trazodone because of a miscommunication with my GP (This was meant to have happened months ago??)

I'm really just looking for a friend to talk to though, it's scary to live this experience. Thanks for reading.

- Sol.
0le
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Whilst you wait for a reply, there should be some support services available via your university which you can (usually pre-covid) access at any time. At the very least, it may be worth sending a few emails and perhaps a virtual session can be arranged with a counsellor?
QuackingQuokka
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi!

I have Schizoaffective Disorder - Bipolar Type, so I suffer from symptoms of Bipolar Disorder. Its affected me a lot through life but I am currently back at university (finally made it into second year XD ) and coping well with it.

I've only had a few full blown manic episodes buy a bit more hypomanic ones, with the money thing - it can be really stressful after coming out of it and realising what you did. For me, whenever I 'feel' an episode starting I give a trusted friend (or relative) complete control of all my finances with instructions for them not to let me spend more than I need to - I don't know if this is an option for your situation? but it's really helped me a lot.

If you wanna chat about this stuff I'll be here these things can be scary, but I'm sure we'll get through it!
Anonymous #1
Report 1 week ago
I am not formally diagnosed but I suspect I have bipolar type II (bad depressive episodes and hypomanic episodes). For me, the depression is worse and I actually enjoy the hypomania (I do things that are very out of character for me but can stop myself from doing things that are dangerous). What kind of support are you getting? Do you have a CPN? Do you have friends or family members who can keep an eye on things when you are having a manic episode?
iramraja
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by sollie.mac)
Hi!

It's a little scary to be talking so openly about this for me, but I was wondering if there's anyone else on here who struggles with Bipolar, maybe so I can feel less alone with everything. I had a really bad manic episode that led to be wasting over half of my student loan, and it's such a devastating thing to live with. I feel really alone, and I'd really love to at least know I'm not. Any advice on how to deal with manic episodes when you're away from home in an unfamiliar place would be amazing.

I am currently on medication (Trazodone and Quetiapine), but was very recently upped from 100mg to 150mg of Trazodone because of a miscommunication with my GP (This was meant to have happened months ago??)

I'm really just looking for a friend to talk to though, it's scary to live this experience. Thanks for reading.

- Sol.
Hi!
Honestly I know what you mean, I was diagnosed pretty recently and so talking about it openly like this is new for me too.
I was diagnosed with bipolar affective disorder at the beginning of the year and I had to interrupt my studies since I was pretty unwell. It’s a bit sad that I won’t be able to graduate with my friends but I understand now that it was really for the best.

I’ve experienced spending way too much in manic episodes aw well, and honestly I agree with the other person who has posted, that it’s helpful to have a friend/relative who you really trust to have control over your finances.

For me my biggest problem though are for sure my depressive episodes. The first step to me getting diagnosed was actually via my university counselling service so I would definitely recommend university mental health services.

Also you could inform your uni disability service about your condition. I was able to get reasonable adjustments and an inclusion plan to help me in times when I am experiencing episodes.

I hope I was helpful

Please message me if you have any questions or just want to talk
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (159)
14.56%
I'm not sure (47)
4.3%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (323)
29.58%
I have already dropped out (31)
2.84%
I'm not a current university student (532)
48.72%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise