Should I change driving instructor?

Watch
Jopsef
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi all.

I have a bit of a dilemma. I had one driving lesson before the lockdown and that was 2 hours. Since my driving instructor started lessons at the end of July, I've only had 3 lessons. I was meant to be getting 1, 2 hour lessons a week.

I'm meant to have had 26 hours in total but have only recieved 6 since the lockdown lifted. Paid him in advance at the end of a driving lesson and he hasn't done one since.

Its unlikely he'll refund the money so should I pay for another instructor and at the same time try and get the 10 hours of tuition I've paid for?

Thanks Image
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
We would need more info, for one, why haven't you had lessons? are they making them and cancelling them or just not taking bookings? It's somewhat unprecedented times just now, esp with the second covid wave well underway (I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a return to a ban on lessons & tests for most soon) so I can see how they might genuinely struggle to meet their commitments in terms of contact appointments.

Have you any specific reason to think they wouldn't refund you if you asked? Have you asked? Really it all comes down to what kind of communication you've had.

I used to pay mine £200 for 10 hours in cash advance, but if there was ever a delay for any reason I didn't expect him to automatically volunteer to give the money back and end the agreement, it's just lessons in the bank for when i use them. If I wanted to take the money back for whatever reason I'd expect to be the one that had to bring it up and say I wished to end the implied agreement.
Jopsef
Rep:
?
(Original post by StriderHort)
We would need more info, for one, why haven't you had lessons? are they making them and cancelling them or just not taking bookings? It's somewhat unprecedented times just now, esp with the second covid wave well underway (I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a return to a ban on lessons & tests for most soon) so I can see how they might genuinely struggle to meet their commitments in terms of contact appointments.

Have you any specific reason to think they wouldn't refund you if you asked? Have you asked? Really it all comes down to what kind of communication you've had.

I used to pay mine £200 for 10 hours in cash advance, but if there was ever a delay for any reason I didn't expect him to automatically volunteer to give the money back and end the agreement, it's just lessons in the bank for when i use them. If I wanted to take the money back for whatever reason I'd expect to be the one that had to bring it up and say I wished to end the implied agreement.
Hi, Thanks for your response I appreciate it!

He is taking bookings, for example I'm meant to have a lesson on monday. However he always cancels right before lessons, Maybe 1 or 2 hours before.

I understand the current situation but most instructors are doing lessons regardless. Self employed instructors need to make money.

Its a pain. I've got my test in 12 weeks. I cannot afford for him to cancel every lesson.
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Jopsef)
Hi, Thanks for your response I appreciate it!

He is taking bookings, for example I'm meant to have a lesson on monday. However he always cancels right before lessons, Maybe 1 or 2 hours before.

I understand the current situation but most instructors are doing lessons regardless. Self employed instructors need to make money.

Its a pain. I've got my test in 12 weeks. I cannot afford for him to cancel every lesson.
I wouldn't worry too much about whatever other instructors are doing, but if they've kept repeatedly cancelling it's perfectly reasonable to call them on it and clearly ask why, or at least ask if they still feel in a position to honour your implied agreement in reasonable time. It's not rude to ask for clarification of a contractors position in terms of completing a job when you've paid unfront and delays arise, understandable as they may be.
Jopsef
Rep:
?
(Original post by StriderHort)
I wouldn't worry too much about whatever other instructors are doing, but if they've kept repeatedly cancelling it's perfectly reasonable to call them on it and clearly ask why, or at least ask if they still feel in a position to honour your implied agreement in reasonable time. It's not rude to ask for clarification of a contractors position in terms of completing a job when you've paid unfront and delays arise, understandable as they may be.
Thanks for the advice. I'll ask him why he's been cancelling. And about the worrying, got my test in 11 weeks, I kind of need my instructor to be there for me hahah
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (159)
14.56%
I'm not sure (47)
4.3%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (323)
29.58%
I have already dropped out (31)
2.84%
I'm not a current university student (532)
48.72%

Watched Threads