The Student Room Group

Why do I have far less empathy for my own gender. Am I sexist?

With few exceptions I seem to have much less empathy for men than women, even if something terrible happens to a man I still find it hard to feel as sorry for him as I would do if the same thing happened to a woman (here's the really ridiculous thing, especially if it's a young and attractive woman). It is not something I intentionally do but it is a difficult habit to get out of. Is this an insecurity thing? Or is this due to some facets of society that regard men as disposible so it doesn't matter what happens to them? I want to feel empathy for everyone.
I would assume because the media generally portrays men as strong and resilient whereas it portrays women as more sensitive and vulnerable. I think most people will have more empathy for people they find attractive too. I remember reading about a study that found attractive people were less likely to receive harsher sentencing when on trial for a crime compared to those who were seen as less attractive. Not always the case but in general, yes.
I think that's quite a common bias for people to have. In general, most people seem to have more empathy towards women than men.

At least if you are aware of it, then you can try to make a conscious effort to avoid it?
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
I would assume because the media generally portrays men as strong and resilient whereas it portrays women as more sensitive and vulnerable. I think most people will have more empathy for people they find attractive too. I remember reading about a study that found attractive people were less likely to receive harsher sentencing when on trial for a crime compared to those who were seen as less attractive. Not always the case but in general, yes.

So you think people may see men as less deserving of empathy?
cuck a doodle doo

Quick Reply

Latest