The Student Room Group

Small friendly campus unis UK?

Hello,

I am considering returning to uni after dropping out last year. Overall I found the whole experiencing completley overwhelming - I was in a fairly big uni in a city and felt like a small fish in a big sea or whatever the saying is.

I come from a small town and would like to study somewhere similar. If anyone could reccomend any uni's with a more homely & friendly feel please let me know!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Hello,

I am considering returning to uni after dropping out last year. Overall I found the whole experiencing completley overwhelming - I was in a fairly big uni in a city and felt like a small fish in a big sea or whatever the saying is.

I come from a small town and would like to study somewhere similar. If anyone could reccomend any uni's with a more homely & friendly feel please let me know!

Aberystwyth, Bangor, Royal Ag.
I understand that, places like Manchester and London really put me off based on how big they were alone. Durham and York both quite small cathedral cities, which I considered applying to, with York being more campus based, I think. Other than that Scottish ones can be in quite small locations eg Stirling is not a very big city and obviously St Andrews a tiny coastal town
Original post by threeportdrift
Aberystwyth, Bangor, Royal Ag.

I was thinking of exactly these.
Reply 4
York, Chester, Bangor, Aberystwyth, Trinity St Davids
Reply 5
Original post by Moana92
York, Chester, Bangor, Aberystwyth, Trinity St Davids

When you say York do you mean York St John or Uni of York?
Lancaster

Uni of York, there's collegete system so makes it feel smaller/community-based.
Reply 8

It depends on your level; if you have higher grades then the Uni of would be better
UEA, Kent, Reading, Warwick, Bournemouth (to an extent)
Lincoln is a nice place too
Hello,

Hey Anonymous,

It's completely understandable how you felt. I study at Reading and I think as we have a very nice friendly campus feel at Reading Uni. You can see a campus tour here https://www.reading.ac.uk/VirtualTour/

They are also running self-guided tours if you wanted to get a 'feel' for the university. You can see this here https://www.reading.ac.uk/ready-to-study/visiting-and-open-days/self-guided-tours.aspx

Hope this helps you and feel free to let me know if you have any other questions!
From,

Amina 😊
Hello,

Lancaster. its a collegiate uni, and takes about 25 mins to walk end to end. Its in a village called Bailrigg, 20 mins on a very regular bus to the city. And city is not too big either. Daughter loves it :smile:
Hi @Anonymous
I’m a student ambassador at Lancaster Uni and I enjoy my time here ! It’s a large campus uni outside of Lancaster. The campus has everything us students need from food places, bars, laundry facilities, communal space, hairdressers, sports centre etc. It feels like a little community to us ! And we have good transport links to the city centre too ! Let us know if you have any questions.
Student Ambassador Holly at Lancaster University
Hello,

Hi there,

Going to university and especially in a big city can be very overwhelming, it can be a lot to take in! Bangor University is located in North Wales between the mountains and the sea, it's a small city but has everything a student needs. It definitely has that friendly feel that you're looking for, and with over 200 Students’ Union Clubs and Societies to chose from, you are guaranteed to make good friends.
You can have a look at our virtual experience here, it will hopefully give you a feel for Bangor University:
https://www.bangor.ac.uk/virtual-experience/

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask :smile:
Anna
Original post by Bangor Uni
Hi there,

Going to university and especially in a big city can be very overwhelming, it can be a lot to take in! Bangor University is located in North Wales between the mountains and the sea, it's a small city but has everything a student needs. It definitely has that friendly feel that you're looking for, and with over 200 Students’ Union Clubs and Societies to chose from, you are guaranteed to make good friends.
You can have a look at our virtual experience here, it will hopefully give you a feel for Bangor University:
https://www.bangor.ac.uk/virtual-experience/

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask :smile:
Anna

As a current PhD student (and past MA student) at Bangor, I concur. :yep:
Keele? it depends what course you want to do too of course, not every university does every course.
Aberystwyth! I come from a really rural area and it’s currently my number one choice of where I want to go!
Hello,

Hi,
I can fully appreciate where you are coming from! When I was visiting Universities at open days, I felt the complete same and couldn't help but feel like just another number in a huge system. This completely changed when I visited Sunderland. The open day staff were so kind and helpful, I was interested right away.

Sunderland is technically a city but it very much has a 'town' feel to it, it also helps that the beach is right on your doorstep.
The university was also recently ranked 16th (out of 131 universities) in the ‘University of the Year’ category of the Whatuni Student Choice Awards (WUSC) 2019, and 9th in the 'Student Support' category. I can vouch for the Wellbeing team, as someone who suffers with anxiety, I often get overwhelmed and they've really helped me and offer so much support.
There are so many fantastic features to the university and I've really enjoyed my course so far. What course are you interested in studying? This may help with your decision making.
Hello,

Hi there Anonymous,

It's understandable how you felt. I recently studied at UCLan and I think as we have a friendly campus with strong ties to the city of Preston. Preston is a nice small city with beautiful parks and hidden gems. You can see virtual city tour here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X71-MtC7oag

Hope this helps you

Best wishes
Zach

Quick Reply