Cocaiaaa
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 day ago
So I have just finished my first day working retail at tk maxx,. So I started by sorting out shelves and stuff and I was pretty much all over the place, I didn’t know where to put stuff and kept needing to ask for help. I pretty much was cleaning and sorting out the shop floor all day and didn’t really know what I was doing/ felt like I was doing it wrong etc. A lot of the staff there have been there for a while and are quite close knit, they had their own banter and I couldn’t really integrate? I felt really isolated throughout and most conversation I had with people was stagnated and kinda awkward. The shift manager didn’t seem to like me that much it seemed and wasn’t too impressed with my work. They also kept my for an extra half hour than my shift and wouldn’t let me go ? This is my first job and I probably wasn’t as assertive as I should’ve been. I just came home feeling really *****y and wanting to quit. Has Anyone else felt like this on their first job?
Merle Dixon 52
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
Tbh it's quite normal. I've been doing my retail job since last December (except 6 weeks when we shut during lockdown) and I still have to ask where things are e.t.c. It was only your first day, as long as you did your best you should be pleased. You're not superhuman and if you tried you're best then that's fine. As for integrating (I'm so tempted to make a maths joke now) just give it time. I'm one of the most socially awkward people to exist and it took a while to be able to have easy conversations with my colleagues but now we have a laugh and are friends in a way (even though they're all 30 yrs older than me!) You've just got to give yourself time and don't beat yourself up. Good luck.
Cocaiaaa
Rep:
?
(Original post by Merle Dixon 52)
Tbh it's quite normal. I've been doing my retail job since last December (except 6 weeks when we shut during lockdown) and I still have to ask where things are e.t.c. It was only your first day, as long as you did your best you should be pleased. You're not superhuman and if you tried you're best then that's fine. As for integrating (I'm so tempted to make a maths joke now) just give it time. I'm one of the most socially awkward people to exist and it took a while to be able to have easy conversations with my colleagues but now we have a laugh and are friends in a way (even though they're all 30 yrs older than me!) You've just got to give yourself time and don't beat yourself up. Good luck.
Thank you, that was really reassuring !
Always_Confused
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
Everyone has a bad first day at work. Of course you struggled, it's all new to you. The work will get easier the longer you are there. You just need a bit of familiarity with your colleagues too. Of course they left you out of conversations because you probably wouldn't know what they were talking about because you don't know them and they don't know you. Be friendly, say hi to your colleagues. Ask about their evenings and you'll soon start to find things in common. It does take time to integrate yourself into the friendship groups that develop in workplaces.
I know it's easy for me to say that things will get better. While it may not feel like it now, you will get better. You'll learn what you should be doing and where everything goes. I can't say for certain you'll enjoy your job (does anyone have a job they actually like?!), but feeling like you're good at your job helps.
Goodluck and stick at it. If it really doesn't improve, you can always look for another job.
Cocaiaaa
Rep:
?
(Original post by Always_Confused)
Everyone has a bad first day at work. Of course you struggled, it's all new to you. The work will get easier the longer you are there. You just need a bit of familiarity with your colleagues too. Of course they left you out of conversations because you probably wouldn't know what they were talking about because you don't know them and they don't know you. Be friendly, say hi to your colleagues. Ask about their evenings and you'll soon start to find things in common. It does take time to integrate yourself into the friendship groups that develop in workplaces.
I know it's easy for me to say that things will get better. While it may not feel like it now, you will get better. You'll learn what you should be doing and where everything goes. I can't say for certain you'll enjoy your job (does anyone have a job they actually like?!), but feeling like you're good at your job helps.
Goodluck and stick at it. If it really doesn't improve, you can always look for another job.
Thank you!
DrAdams
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 11 hours ago
Hi,

When I worked at Walmart when I attended University, I was in the same situation, did not know where anything was on the shelves how to work checkouts or even kiosk. But trust me it gets easier with practice - and you will always have bad days even when you’re done the job for years it’s just life unfortunately.

Hope this helps,
Dr Adams
Wannabevetnurse
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 hours ago
I sucked for my first month, but it takes time and you'll get there

Dont worry about intergrating because once you start working regularly, they'll probably pull you into their group. Just be yourself and give it 100%.Also as you are working in retail, just keep a check on your languange (Both verbal and body). Keep your chest high, keep smiling, try not to swear in public, Walk fast and assert dominance
Cocaiaaa
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 minutes ago
(Original post by Wannabevetnurse)
I sucked for my first month, but it takes time and you'll get there

Dont worry about intergrating because once you start working regularly, they'll probably pull you into their group. Just be yourself and give it 100%.Also as you are working in retail, just keep a check on your languange (Both verbal and body). Keep your chest high, keep smiling, try not to swear in public, Walk fast and assert dominance
Thanks for the advice!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (181)
28.64%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (105)
16.61%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
9.18%
I want to meet current students (53)
8.39%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
8.07%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (126)
19.94%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
6.01%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (20)
3.16%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise