lunacentral1
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
okay so i'm in year 12 rn doing bio chem english lit and art
Considering I get predicted grades along the lines of A*A*A
+ five nines (in biology, chemistry english lit and lang and art) and three eights at gcse (I moved countries mid gcse so had to do a one year gcse course so couldn't do more than 7, studied the last one by myself too)
+ do really well on the BMAT and have work experience
+ extracurriculars such as the biochemistry society
will I have a chance at Oxbridge medicine?
I know Cambridge wants maths a level but honestly i don't like it enough for a level... Also i prefer oxford anyways
I'm not too bothered on only going to oxbridge as there are many other great schools (btw, what r the odds for ucl kings and imperial?) , but i don't want to apply if I don't have a good chance.
By the way, I go to a grammar school if that affects anything.
thank you
Anonymous #1
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by lunacentral1)
+ five nines (in biology, chemistry english lit and lang and art) and three eights at gcse (I moved countries mid gcse so had to do a one year gcse course so couldn't do more than 7, studied the last one by myself too)
I know Cambridge wants maths a level but honestly i don't like it enough for a level... Also i prefer oxford anyways
I'm not too bothered on only going to oxbridge as there are many other great schools (btw, what r the odds for ucl kings and imperial?) , but i don't want to apply if I don't have a good chance.
thank you
With those grades, definitely! However, make sure you’re actually passionate about your subject because regardless of your grades (well done by the way) if they don’t think you’re genuinely interested in your subject then that’s it.
SchmuckOff
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
thank you
Oxford medicine isn't as competitive as other courses at the uni
I'm also currently at a Grammar school and know about 20 individuals applying to Oxbridge for Medicine

I have to say ; they are putting in tons of work and if you feel like you can do the same , then your chances are as good as theres
Probably around 15-25%
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
thank you
You have fewer GCSEs than average for Oxford, which could be quite important. However, those extenuating circumstances should definitely be mentioned in your personal statement and teacher's reference, and should make a difference.

It will all come down to the BMAT, and then the interview. Which is true for everybody.

Its definitely one of the most competitive medical schools, but you've done the best you can so far. In terms of choosing school, you should look at course structure, learning style, and where you will be able to get in. The course, contrary to popular belief, varies a LOT in terms of style and content, and its such a long course that is definitely worth paying a lot of attention to.
(Original post by SchmuckOff)
Oxford medicine isn't as competitive as other courses at the uni
Hmm. At Oxford, its definitely a contender for the most competitive course. Eight applicants per offer - almost twice the uni average - and average of 10.8A*s at GCSE for offer holders!
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by SchmuckOff)
Oxford medicine isn't as competitive as other courses at the uni...
I don't know how it compares to other courses at Oxford itself, but for medicine Oxford is one of the most competitive for home students, and the most competitive for international students.

Cambridge on the other hand, is relatively much less competitive (for medicine).

...Also i prefer oxford anyways
Remember all medical schools are "great schools". All of them are GMC accredited and your degree is the same wherever you go. You don't have an advantage graduating from Oxbridge, UCL, KCL or ICL; or a disadvantage if your degree is from Buckingham, Anglia Ruskin, or SGUL.

When it comes to UK specialty applications, the assessors are "blind" to where you graduated from. So pick according to your stats (which it sounds like you're doing, so that's great), teaching styles (traditional vs PBL vs integrated), location (South vs North, city vs rural), student satisfaction, unis itself (college system?), FY1 preparedness etc.

Remember, rankings, "prestige" and Russell Group or not makes no difference for medicine, at all.
Last edited by ecolier; 11 months ago
SchmuckOff
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by ecolier)
I don't know how it compares to other courses at Oxford itself, but for medicine Oxford is one of the most competitive for home students, and the most competitive for international students.

Cambridge on the other hand, is relatively much less competitive (for medicine).
Yep , I just seem to compare everything to econ and management inherently. These statistics make more sense.
Thisismyunitsr
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Why not? Your grades seem decent and the worst thing they can say is no!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (13)
14.44%
I need help researching courses (7)
7.78%
I need help with filling out the application form (5)
5.56%
I need help with my personal statement (36)
40%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (23)
25.56%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
2.22%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (4)
4.44%

Watched Threads