JJTalker26
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
currently I'm predicted a 6- and even tho I hate the subject and find it incredibly boring I'll most likely need about an 8 in order for my preferred uni to select me. I'm in year 10 now. Does anyone have tips on how to revise this subject ? And when I should start seriously revising it ?l'm pretty bad at it so I have to learn pretty much 90% of the syllabus by myself , especially because my teacher is also useless.
Last edited by JJTalker26; 1 month ago
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Flashcards are your best bet. Also a copy of a French textbook for GCSE can help. You can use the flashcards to help.
redmeercat
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'd recommend a few different things, but my top 5 tips would be
- learn vocab regularly. In memrise and Quizlet there are some good GCSE sets, and if you could aim to learn 20-25 words per week, that would put you wayyyy ahead! Learning vocab means that you won't have a problem understanding the questions you're being asked, and that you'll be able to decide passages even if you don't know all the grammar.
2. Use a revision workbook (I used the CGP one) to do practice translation. Make sure you mark them and take note of vocab and grammar that you need to go over in future revision sessions!
3. Listen to French music and beginner/intermediate French podcasts. Try to identify the words you know, but don't worry about it if you can't understand everything! Getting used to the language by listening regularly will really help with general understanding, especially in an exam which will mainly use words that are specifically on the syllabus! French YouTube can help too.
4. Talk to your teacher in french whenever you can, evening it's just asking for something in class. They'll be able to correct you and, even though it's uncomfortable to start with, practicing speaking will make you more comfortable when the exam comes round.
5. Make sure that you're familiar with all the basic grammar. It's sometimes boring, but doing exercises on things like the present tense, the perfect tense and the simple future tense as well as adjectival agreement and the difference between 'bon' and 'bien' will give you a great basis to improve more complex grammar from! I tend to use Lawless French for grammatical explanations, or else you can use your textbook
There are lots of other tips I could mention, such as practicing writing by keeping a diary, but I'd rather not overwhelm you! Basically, use the language in daily life as much as you can, and you're into something!
TND
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
je ne sais quoi
JJTalker26
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by redmeercat)
I'd recommend a few different things, but my top 5 tips would be
- learn vocab regularly. In memrise and Quizlet there are some good GCSE sets, and if you could aim to learn 20-25 words per week, that would put you wayyyy ahead! Learning vocab means that you won't have a problem understanding the questions you're being asked, and that you'll be able to decide passages even if you don't know all the grammar.
2. Use a revision workbook (I used the CGP one) to do practice translation. Make sure you mark them and take note of vocab and grammar that you need to go over in future revision sessions!
3. Listen to French music and beginner/intermediate French podcasts. Try to identify the words you know, but don't worry about it if you can't understand everything! Getting used to the language by listening regularly will really help with general understanding, especially in an exam which will mainly use words that are specifically on the syllabus! French YouTube can help too.
4. Talk to your teacher in french whenever you can, evening it's just asking for something in class. They'll be able to correct you and, even though it's uncomfortable to start with, practicing speaking will make you more comfortable when the exam comes round.
5. Make sure that you're familiar with all the basic grammar. It's sometimes boring, but doing exercises on things like the present tense, the perfect tense and the simple future tense as well as adjectival agreement and the difference between 'bon' and 'bien' will give you a great basis to improve more complex grammar from! I tend to use Lawless French for grammatical explanations, or else you can use your textbook
There are lots of other tips I could mention, such as practicing writing by keeping a diary, but I'd rather not overwhelm you! Basically, use the language in daily life as much as you can, and you're into something!
wow thanks a lot! I will try to use all of your tips !
frogplant
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by JJTalker26)
currently I'm predicted a 6- and even tho I hate the subject and find it incredibly boring I'll most likely need about an 8 in order for my preferred uni to select me. I'm in year 10 now. Does anyone have tips on how to revise this subject ? And when I should start seriously revising it ?l'm pretty bad at it so I have to learn pretty much 90% of the syllabus by myself , especially because my teacher is also useless.
hi, I managed to get a 9 at GCSE which totally shocked me as I wasn't expecting it! so here's what I recommend:

Speaking- learn transferrable phrases for opinions and connectives that you can slot into many sentences (eg. je dirais que, il faut que je dise que). Also learn answers to the questions pretty much by heart as much as you can! Make sure you are able to improvise if all else fails, and that you know how to ask questions. Use many tenses and opinions.
Listening- learn as much vocabulary as you can, by how it sounds, then you'll at least be able to get the gist of what they're saying. Always put an answer down.
Reading- again, just learn as much vocabulary and grammar as you can. In the exam, look for words that you know. Check for negatives that might catch you out!
Writing- don't go off topic! only write about things that you feel confident about and know how to say. Use transferrable phrases and loads of tenses and opinions.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (58)
28.57%
No - I have already returned home (24)
11.82%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (46)
22.66%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (21)
10.34%
No - I live at home during term anyway (54)
26.6%

Watched Threads